GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Are your doors locked? Only thing I could find and nothing definitive is that it may have to do with the security system. Try it with your doors unlocked and the key in the ignition.
well, I thought they were, but it's worth a shot! This one is a push button start one though, but will try it, thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@garagerog I think you're right maybe. I hooked the negative back up, unlocked the doors, then put it back on 8 amps, no horn, but the "box" in front of the battery made some noises like it was trying to do "something". so definitely less annoying that way LOL

UPDATE: for grins, i really pushed down on the brake and tried to start it, the dashboard lights up with warning lights and stuff, and now i got a new message about the hood being opened and to lower and raise my window (which I couldn't do). Figure that's a good sign since it wasn't doing that before, unhooked the negative again, and put it back on the charger. But when i have it on 8 amp it goes to "charged" after a minute or two, so left it on 2 Amp as that seems to be charging that way. Will check it again later, maybe we're getting somewhere!!! appreciate EVERYONE's help here.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Are you positive that your battery charger is good ?

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Do you still have the GM assistance ? If so, let them get it started.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
I thought you get driver assistance for 5 years. "Thought" !

Reactions: Needles99

·
Registered
359 Posts
On my wifes' 17 Nox, the owners manual states this about roadside assistance: Services are provided for the duration of the vehicle’s powertrain warranty. The battery would have been covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which was 3 yrs./36,000 miles Powertrain warranty was 5 yrs/50,000 miles. Has this changed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not sure, gonna have to review my paperwork again.

UPDATE: left it on 2 Amp charging, if i hook the negative back up it still won't start, still tells me the hood is open and to roll the window up and down. This last time I noticed the panel said CAL on it though, didn't notice that before, google says maybe it's the compass but i'm not 100% sure.

Question though, I'm going to have to stop charging it soon. Should I leave the negative unhooked or just hook it back up?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I really think you have a bad battery.
Leave the battery cable off for now.
Either get a battery and install it, or call the dealer and have them tow it.
I would go get a battery, many Youtube videos to help you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your battery is suspect at this point...agree with redbox. That said...when you get the message to close the hood and roll the window up and down did you do it? You mention that you can't roll the window up and down...if your battery is that weak then definitely the battery. Replaced the battery on a lacrosse and I got those messages. Once I got them and did what it told me started right up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
...and yes...CAL will clear itself once you drive a little bit. Compass...

·
Registered
85 Posts
So update, got the negative thing off, its dangling in the air. Hooked the charger back up, when I put it on 8 Amps the horn does like 4 little blasts every couple seconds. I changed it to 2 Amps and no crazy horn symphony and it appears to be charging.
Does that constant horn thing mean anything when at 8 Amps?

Also, tried to remote start, i got the two yellow parking lights to flash on the front like it was going to try, but it didn't start.
You did something wrong. With the negative battery cable disconnected from the battery and the charger connected directly to the battery posts, there is no way the horn could be honking or anything else be running.

There should be nothing connected to the battery negative terminal other than the battery charger at that time. If there still are any wires connected to the negative post they need to be removed as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Your battery is suspect at this point...agree with redbox. That said...when you get the message to close the hood and roll the window up and down did you do it? You mention that you can't roll the window up and down...if your battery is that weak then definitely the battery. Replaced the battery on a lacrosse and I got those messages. Once I got them and did what it told me started right up.
Window wouldn't even go up/down when i got that message, but the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree too and I was probably in a mild panic LOL

So just to summarize, I should leave the negative unhooked closed, is it ok to just leave dangle in there with the hood closed? I don't have a garage to push it into.
Since the 8 amp setting seems to charge it quick but then 2 Amp when i had the negative unhooked seemed to keep going, would it make sense to, as i leave the negative unhooked, to keep going at 2 Amp until that says it's charged, then try to start it again?
Is remote starting better in my scenario than doing it from inside the car, or does it not matter? not sure if one uses more juice I should be trying to conserve or not.

Thanks again for all the help here everybody, I'm freaking out having just missed a paycheck from being out sick, so trying to avoid spending big money here if there's something I can do with what i have. there may not be anything, but i at least want to try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You did something wrong. With the negative battery cable disconnected from the battery and the charger connected directly to the battery posts, there is no way the horn could be honking or anything else be running.

There should be nothing connected to the battery negative terminal other than the battery charger at that time. If there still are any wires connected to the negative post they need to be removed as well.
Hey NXR, I basically just did what those 2 pictures showed I linked to earlier: I got my wrench out and undid that one, then lifted the clamp looking thing I just loosened off the negative post. Was there more to it than that?

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
When putting the negative cable on the battery, be sure that your wrench does not hit the positive terminal. This is very important.

Did you find out about whether or not your GM driver assistance is still active

·
Registered
85 Posts

There should be nothing connected to the battery negative terminal other than the battery charger at that time.
Hey NXR, I basically just did what those 2 pictures showed I linked to earlier: I got my wrench out and undid that one, then lifted the clamp looking thing I just loosened off the negative post. Was there more to it than that?
No, just make sure there is nothing on the negative battery post other than the charger.

I'd call the dealer and ask how long the battery warranty is. I agree, it sounds like you have a bad battery now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d call AAA or roadside assistance to have it jumped to start it and then run it to charge the battery. A lot easier than monkeying around with all that other stuff. Haha spoken like a true female who doesn’t want to deal with car stuff. I wish you the best of luck and hope you’re feeling better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remote start may not work if you let battery run down. The reason why is when the battery gets low and you turn the ignition on, because some of the systems are getting low voltage, they kick off error codes, and remote start is disabled when you have a check engine light on.

I would suggest hooking jumper cables from another car to your battery while it is connected to your car, then try to start again. I would be willing to bet that the battery has gone bad from sitting, and this is why it won’t start; it can’t provide enough cranking amps to start. If it won’t start with jumper cables, have the dealer get it and fix it. It should still be under warranty, right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi all. I didn't see in my paperwork where it said I have that still, but I emailed the dealership. Maybe I can find someone to give me a jump. Where it's parked though is right up against a dead end so another car can't actually pull up in front of it, so hopefully someone has some long jumper cables too.
I appreciate everyone sticking with me here. Was feeling terrible again this week so haven't done much with the car since last weekend, and now the weather won't cooperate. I know last time I tried to start it the car said it still had low batter and was going to battery saver mode or something like that. But i have noticed the little red light that blinks inside the car regularly has stayed blinking all week, which probably means nothing but wanted to mention it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts