GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I got covid so didn't start my car for a few weeks, and I think the battery died. Couldn't remote start it, wasn't getting flashing lights when i'd lock it with the fob, etc. I used an 8 Amp/2 Amp battery charger/maintainer to recharge the battery (according to that device) while it's still in the car. Took a good 10 hours I bet.

Now that the battery is recharged, the key fob lock/alarm stuff works again and the horn honks and lights flash, but I can't start it. When I get in the car to start it, it now gives me the message to "press brake to start" which I'm doing but the brake pedal is really stiff/firm/hard to push down, then it gives me a message saying "battery low start car" which is what I'm trying to do LOL. Before I charged the battery, it wasn't doing that so I'm thinking the fact it's telling me that stuff is minor progress.

Even after trying to start it a few times getting those same 2 messages, if I put the charger back on the battery, it goes back to saying charged after a few minutes, so I'm hoping that means the battery is ok maybe.

Is there like something else I have to "reset" somehow now that the battery is charged back up in order for it to start, or for it to recognize I'm pressing the brake pedal down when I'm trying to start it? I even tried REALLY pushing it down while it was stiff/firm to no avail. I really hope this isn't going to require an expensive tow to the dealership with an expensive repair, so appreciate any advice anyone can give me! Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
I would put the charger on for another day.

Reactions: Needles99

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
You could try removing the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes.
Can you check your battery for a voltage reading?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would put the charger on for another day.
The charger kinda like turns itself off once it says charged, or goes into trickle mode or some "feature" like that. You think just leave it hooked up constantly like that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try removing the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes.
Can you check your battery for a voltage reading?
I don't have one of those voltage reading things, it was by pure luck I had the battery charger thing. Do I just undo a screw or something to get the clamp looking thing off the negative battery post?
Sorry for overgeneralizing here, I'm so far from being a "car person"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Yes, If you are comfortable trying this it might help, you are in effect doing a reset.
You also need to determine if the battery is good.
Just because you gave it a charge doesn't mean it is good.

If the vehicle is under warranty, you might let the dealer handle the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, If you are comfortable trying this it might help, you are in effect doing a reset.
You also need to determine if the battery is good.
Just because you gave it a charge doesn't mean it is good.

If the vehicle is under warranty, you might let the dealer handle the problem.
Now that I know that's all I have to do is what's shown in those two pictures, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm guessing doing this really can't make this or anything else anything worse.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remote start does not require the brake pedal to be stepped on. Close the doors, press the Lock button on the fob and then immediately press and hold the button with the circular arrow on it. It can't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Now that I know that's all I have to do is what's shown in those two pictures, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm guessing doing this really can't make this or anything else anything worse.
Since you still have a Low Battery indication, once you've removed the negative cable and moved it off to the side, reconnect the charger. These cars pull power from the battery even when off and you have a really low capacity charger. Once it's charged up, remove the charger then reconnect the negative cable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remote start does not require the brake pedal to be stepped on. Close the doors, press the Lock button on the fob and then immediately press and hold the button with the circular arrow on it. It can't hurt to try it.
It wouldn't remote start either, but I'll try it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you still have a Low Battery indication, once you've removed the negative cable and moved it off to the side, reconnect the charger. These cars pull power from the battery even when off and you have a really low capacity charger. Once it's charged up, remove the charger then reconnect the negative cable.
thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The hard brake pedal is a result of the brake booster losing its residual supply of vacuum, due to sitting idle for so long.

If the display suggests to depress the brake; it will take an excessive amount of force to depress the pedal. After the engine is started the brake pedal will be able to be depressed easily again.

If the battery has been charged sufficiently it should start by pressing the brake pedal more firmly.

The battery may have failed, if so, charging may be insufficient to start the vehicle and the battery should be replaced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Happened to my wife's Acadia...assuming that your battery is charged...press really hard on the brake and try to start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hard brake pedal is a result of the brake booster losing its residual supply of vacuum, due to sitting idle for so long.

If the display suggests to depress the brake; it will take an excessive amount of force to depress the pedal. After the engine is started the brake pedal will be able to be depressed easily again.

If the battery has been charged sufficiently it should start by pressing the brake pedal more firmly.

The battery may have failed, if so, charging may be insufficient to start the vehicle and the battery should be replaced.

thanks for the details!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So update, got the negative thing off, its dangling in the air. Hooked the charger back up, when I put it on 8 Amps the horn does like 4 little blasts every couple seconds. I changed it to 2 Amps and no crazy horn symphony and it appears to be charging.
Does that constant horn thing mean anything when at 8 Amps?

Also, tried to remote start, i got the two yellow parking lights to flash on the front like it was going to try, but it didn't start.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I believe the 2018 and up Equinox's have AGM batteries that require special consideration for recharging. I've never had an AGM battery so I'm no expert, in this case google is your friend. Hot Rod magazine had an excellent article on recharging them, especially on how to bring back one that was severely discharged. I wasn't able to link the article, but it's easy enough to find for anyone interested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe the 2018 and up Equinox's have AGM batteries that require special consideration for recharging. I've never had an AGM battery so I'm no expert, in this case google is your friend. Hot Rod magazine had an excellent article on recharging them, especially on how to bring back one that was severely discharged. I wasn't able to link the article, but it's easy enough to find for anyone interested.
Found it, thanks. I don't have another battery laying around, but maybe i'll need to get one. But I think my Stanley FaxMax 8 amp charger is supposed to work with AGM batteries, at least according to what i'm seeing out there.

Wish I knew why it's doing the weird horn thing when it's on 8 Amps with the negative thing dangling

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are your doors locked? Only thing I could find and nothing definitive is that it may have to do with the security system. Try it with your doors unlocked and the key in the ignition.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts