GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevrolet Equinox 2.0L T Redline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum. I have a 2019 Equinox with the 2.0L Turbo engine, and I am looking for suggestions and previous upgrades from “experienced” Equinox owners. I am not an expert on Turbo motors and I know they can be tricky when it comes to making after market adjustments. Can someone suggest any specific parts for the following parts?-

Throttle Response Controller
Cold Air Intake
Exhaust or Mufflers
ECU
Intercooler/water injection

·
Registered
132 Posts
The car all ready has a big ram cold air intake . It just needs a K&N filter

Exhaust pipes are big for a 2.0 but I am sure changing the muffler would help a lot if you don't mind the noise

I am guessing ECU tune would give the best improvement for performance. In first gear boost is cut in half by the stock tune . It would be nice to tweak this but the transmission might complain.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You best be is go with a tune like one from Trifecta tuning. It will give you a lot more power off the line. The Transmission can handle it with out issue. They also change up the shift points and can turn off Autostop if you want that. They have reviews on their site and many like the tune. I had in on my 2011 cruze and it made a world of a difference. I have not put in on my Terrain yes as i feel this car has plenty of power.

·
Registered
2019 Chevrolet Equinox 2.0L T Redline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You best be is go with a tune like one from Trifecta tuning. It will give you a lot more power off the line. The Transmission can handle it with out issue. They also change up the shift points and can turn off Autostop if you want that. They have reviews on their site and many like the tune. I had in on my 2011 cruze and it made a world of a difference. I have not put in on my Terrain yes as i feel this car has plenty of power.
I’ve looked at Trifecta’s tuners, they seem like they would help a lot. I have also looked at Hoonigan’s Pedal Commander as well. I’m not 100% sure what all the pedal commander does so I just wonder if they both could be used together. Do you happen to know if both could be installed and work together?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Don't waste you money on a K&N, no gains there just dirty MAF sensors. You already have a cold air kit from the factory also. No need for the pedal commander, the tune will be plenty enough. Just the tune's changing the trans. logic with mid range shifts alone will be more than satisfying. Little 4 banger is pretty much maxed out already so only a few more ponies are safely available anyway.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Repairman54 is correct. Skip the K&N filter. Not worth the money for virtually no gain.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Pedal commander is not a tune, it just changes your computer to think you are pressing harder on accelerator than you actually are. No performance gain.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a spring bump stop on the gas peddle. (Probably so it feels like an old school car with mechanical down shift.) I popped it out and the peddle action is a lot smoother. The car "feels" more responsive...even though it really isn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
252 horsepower from this tiny displacement motor is enough for me modifying it for more power will probably shorten its life.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did about a dozen Idle to 60 MPH runs (Idle to eliminate human clutching variance) … switching filters back and forth. With my 85 Camaro I averaged 0.2 seconds improvement with K&N over clean paper on the numerous runs using a Gtec meter. I repeated the test 25 years later on a turbo car, 07 Volvo V50 T5 and got similar results. (except it was a lot faster 0-60)

I have been using K&N in all my cars since 1985, all with MAF sensors and never had any failures due to contamination.

I keep my cars 10 years or so and engines were still running great. Would have kept them longer except I felt it was time to buy something faster or more techie or more towing capacity.

Filter replacement cost for my cars after 30 years has been 2 K&N recharge kits and the second one is not empty yet.

Unless you are driving very dusty roads that could choke a K&N quickly I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did about a dozen Idle to 60 MPH runs (Idle to eliminate human clutching variance) … switching filters back and forth. With my 85 Camaro I averaged 0.2 seconds improvement with K&N over clean paper on the numerous runs using a Gtec meter. I repeated the test 25 years later on a turbo car, 07 Volvo V50 T5 and got similar results. (except it was a lot faster 0-60)

I have been using K&N in all my cars since 1985, all with MAF sensors and never had any failures due to contamination.

I keep my cars 10 years or so and engines were still running great. Would have kept them longer except I felt it was time to buy something faster or more techie or more towing capacity.

Filter replacement cost for my cars after 30 years has been 2 K&N recharge kits and the second one is not empty yet.

Unless you are driving very dusty roads that could choke a K&N quickly I would highly recommend them.
The MAF sensor issues is because people over oil the filter. Many videos show this. I even did it once and realized what i did. After the first time never did it again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum. I have a 2019 Equinox with the 2.0L Turbo engine, and I am looking for suggestions and previous upgrades from “experienced” Equinox owners. I am not an expert on Turbo motors and I know they can be tricky when it comes to making after market adjustments. Can someone suggest any specific parts for the following parts?-

Throttle Response Controller
Cold Air Intake
Exhaust or Mufflers
ECU
Intercooler/water injection
My stock one will already break traction if I push it off the line. So unless I were willing to give up ride quality and spend a bunch of money on wheels and tires no boost is going to matter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Early results, but I just completed 'installing' the Trifecta tune on my 2020 Terrain Denali 2.0l turbo. I waited until the 7k mile mark to get used to the factory tune and to make sure there weren't any of the 'new car gremlins' lurking.

Ordered on the 7th, received the OBD2 physical cable on the 10th, uploaded my security profile on the 10th, received the tune on the 16th, flashed it today. What's irritating is that OBD2<->USB cable shipped from the midwest even though Trifecta is literally up the street from me in WA. I'm guessing they drop ship from their supplier and don't carry local inventory at their shop. No big deal but it took longer than I had hoped to receive.

Initial observation... it's definitely quicker and the shift points are definitely much higher. Not redline high but high enough to really hear how ****ty these little turbo 4 cylinders sound :) Getting up to highway speed is much quicker but not without a lot of engine noise at higher RPMs before shifting to the next gear. 0-30mph is quicker as well but the motor doesn't make the racket it does in higher gears.

My most recent vehicles were a '13 Camaro SS Dusk edition with muffler delete (sounded wonderful), an '11 RS V6 with aftermarket exhaust (sounded decent), and a '16 Colorado Z71 V6 (sounded ok) so going to a 2.0l turbo will take getting used to.

I've only had time to drive it for a few hours today (took a long lunch) but the disabling of auto stop already makes me happy.

What's also nice is that if you enable (but don't activate) cruise control it reverts back to factory profile, with auto stop and the lower shift points. Love that I can pick and choose when to use the Trifecta tune.

Worth $400? Probably not but it will take a bit more driving to make a reasonable determination.

One thing that freaked me out was after the tune completed, the car wouldn't start nor would the light on the ignition button light go off (the tune requires you go into 'service mode' by starting the engine, then holding the ignition on/off button for 10 seconds which stops the motor but leaves the vehicle in what would be described as the 'on' position for a keyed ignition). I had to wait about 5 minutes, all while I panicked thinking something was terribly wrong, before it 'woke up' and responded to the ignition button normally. I guess it may have been rebooting or something. Had me worried initially but all has been fine since that point.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would like to be able to control the shift points but that's about it.. I don't want them overly aggressive but IMO the shift points as is are too biased for fuel economy at the expensive of possible LSPI issues

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
You can sort of do that with manual mode on the tranny. I say sort of. Not as slick as you'd like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts