GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Equinox 1 year Review

My wife and I bought a new 2019 Equinox Premier on Jan 1, 2018.
This is a 1 year review of it.
This was our second new car. The first was a 1983 VW Jetta turbo-diesel. We sold that 3 years and 75k miles later. We averaged 50 mpg in that car. (I logged every fill up while we had it.)
Our current two vehicles are a 2001 Suburban LT with 230k miles on it and a 1992 BMW 525i-5spd with 277k miles on it. We figured we should get a more dependable car since the grandkids are now 40 miles away.
We have been very pleased with the car. Sure there are some minor annoyances but they're overshadowed by the comfort, gas mileage, style and functionality of it. We had the first oil service done at the dealer in August at about 6500 miles.
The only item that needed attention was the inside rear view mirror that wasn't seated properly. They tightened it up and it's all good now.
⦁ 2019 Premier, FWD, 1.5 turbo, Manfactured. Oct 2018 Ontario, Canada; Purchased Jan 1, 2019;
⦁ Exterior color: Sandy Ridge; Jet Black Leather interior;
⦁ 9300 miles as of Jan 1, 2019;
⦁ Avg 27.4 MPG per DIC; I also track every fill-up; My calculations show Avg MPG of 26.9;
⦁ Comfort is great;
⦁ Automated rear hatch is great with handsfree open/close; We use it all the time;
⦁ Rear seat back release levers in the cargo area are very handy when putting my golf clubs in the car;
⦁ For the Radio user interface, I'd prefer a grid pattern of saved channels instead of the bar across the top;
⦁ The front speaker location is too far forward on the dash so sound bounces off windshield and makes it treblely. They should be closer to the driver for better sound.
⦁ Roominess is acceptable; unfortunately these new baby car seats are so huge these days that they take up two spaces in the back row. ( for grandkids)
⦁ There's no forward/back adjustment on rear seat which is disappointing; that was a very handy feature on my son's '18 Nox which increased the rear cargo area;
⦁ One of the first things that jumped out at me was that there was no Owners Manual case; Even my daughter's '18 Subaru Crosstrek has a nice leather one. I ended up buying a Corvette one on ebay. (C'mon Chevy, you gotta get better about that.)
⦁ Since the hood swoops down so much, front parking sensors would have been nice; I don't have that option on my car but I here they are now standard on the 2020 models;
⦁ Outward vision on all new cars in general is lacking; The Equinox rear quarter vision is almost non existant;
⦁ Fog lights are a nice touch but they aren't much help;
⦁ The keyless entry is great; I thought I'd never get used to keeping my key in my pocket but that's where it stays; It's nice to have each key programmed to our seating positions;
⦁ My Chevrolet app is very handy;
⦁ The 1.5L turbo power is sufficient for the two of us; 2.0 liter would have been nice to have but I didn't want to put premium fuel in it; I use my BMW for that ;)
⦁ Auto-stop/start hasn't been a problem; When I'm in stop and go traffic, I disable it by putting trans in manual mode;
⦁ I'm concerned that the front seat bottoms will start to rip on the outer side where they meet the plastic liner. The hard plastic edge on the liner digs into the seat when getting in and out. I'm looking for a way to put some molding along the bracket edge to protect the seat;
⦁ i'm disappointed that there is no rock guard under the engine compartment; I'd like to keep the engine compartment clean; has anyone fabricated one?
⦁ I've opted for the Sirius radio for 1 yr.; I can get it on my phone and computer also.
⦁ I've also opted for the On Star Navigation and Unlimited data. Not sure I'll keep those but I haven't decided yet;
⦁ Again, while there are some negative things in my opinion, our overall feeling is that we got the right car and are very happy with it.

Happy New Year!
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi There. We are considering purchase of a 2019 Equinox, used of course. It is now three years since you purchased this car. Do you still feel good about your purchase? How many miles do you have on yours now? Any problems with the direct injection that characterized previous year models?
Thanks, Videot

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have a 2019 Equinox - a Redline with the 2.0 AWD. We are very happy with it - it did leave us stranded in Tennessee (an injector flooded a cylinder) but has otherwise been trouble free. It doesn't get great gas mileage - 25mph if I'm lucky but then no vehicle I drive gets good gas mileage.
The AWD is disappointing. I've gotten stuck in driveways twice this winter. I have the all season tires that have 20K miles of wear. At speed on snow the car doesn't inspire confidence. Next winter I'll buy spare wheels with snow tires.
It rides great otherwise. I pulled a 1,500 pound trailer 5,000 miles - not using the trailer button which disables 9th gear and uses AWD. I towed at 80mph, gas mileage dropped to the high teens but the car ran and handled fine.
I am annoyed it won't idle to warm up more than 8 or 10 minutes. I didn't like the horn sounding when I get out of it running but found a way to disable that feature. I hate the autostop and the inability to shut it off, Seats are comfortable.
The Redline option gets compliments - it's a nice looking car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We are approaching 30k miles with our 19 premier 2.0 awd. We had to take it back 1 time for the panoramic roof to be reprogrammed. I just recently dropped the trans fluid that looked very dark just being proactive. We avg 25 mpg burn mostly premium. We came out of 2007 DTS caddy so the Nox rides like a sports car but also handles very well. I think the seats are too narrow and also the bottoms don't provide enough rear leg support near my knees.

The handling, finish inside and out seems to be wearing well.

I am also very pleased with the access to drop the oil & filter and trans fluid...wish GM would had spent the $5bucs to include a trans stick.

My daughter has the 1.5T LS with fwd seems to be holding up the same about same mpg though she has a lead foot and can burn reg fuel.

·
Banned
51 Posts
2018 Equinox here with 1.5 L and 33,000 km.

Only complaints are short bottoms on the front seats and not being able to turn off the auto-stop. The autostop works really well though so its not a big issue.

·
Registered
2019 Equinox LS 2015 Impala 2LT 2002 GMC1/2t 4x4 1957 Truck Street Rod
45 Posts
(re: response #5, above)
We have had our 2019 Equinox now for just a year, and we always drive in L6 to avoid the autostop/start feature.
Doesn't that trick work the same on your 2018?

Plus, as an added benefit with the trans shift lever already in the "L" position and driving around our town with several hills, I find it very handy to just tap the "minus" button to implement engine braking whenever desired.

Reactions: jimtech

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm at 52,000kms on my '18 with no issues so far. I only wish GM would have allowed the option to turn off the auto start/stop. I am in the habit now just to put it in L and 6x upshift. Even with defeating this function I still get great fuel economy so really don't know why GM thought the feature was necessary.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Range AS disabler in my '20 Traverse. Same unit fits 'nox's btw. No fooling around with the shifter, light pressure on the brake pedal at the red light so it doesn't kick in, etc. . Just normal behavior. Worth the money for me as I hate the AS garbage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Range AS disabler in my '20 Traverse. Same unit fits 'nox's btw. No fooling around with the shifter, light pressure on the brake pedal at the red light so it doesn't kick in, etc. . Just normal behavior. Worth the money for me as I hate the AS garbage.
Yep, but I'm cheap 😁
Doing the L6 thing has become second nature now. Problem is I sometimes drive the Sonic and forget I don't need to do it in that car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Let's try to be reasonable...start stop is doing what to for your engine, turbo, battery & starter to save 2 cents a month...I'm old and stuck in my ways but I'm just gonna say NO THANKS

Reactions: garagerog

·
Banned
51 Posts
Don't really care what its doing, its there. You can deal with it one of two ways, ignore it such as myself, or get all lathered up about it and play with the gear shifter at every stop sign, for me I know which is easier.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really hated the start stop system when I had the terrain as it would shutoff when I came to a stop and restart when I put it in park. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired. Then I found out you can just hit the start stop button and get out without having to put it in park, minded it a little less then. Don’t mind it at all in the equinox as I can time it to where I can shift into park without it cutting off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
To each his own I save the lathering for the shower...and apply common sense with my other choices

Reactions: NXR71

·
Registered
71 Posts
To each his own I save the lathering for the shower...and apply common sense with my other choices
Common sense isn't common any longer. Like you said the battery, starter, and especially the hot turbo shut off with no lubrication repeatedly will last longer without the auto stop. The only downside is that an emergency reverse is three shifter clicks rather than two.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Common sense isn't common any longer. Like you said the battery, starter, and especially the hot turbo shut off with no lubrication repeatedly will last longer without the auto stop. The only downside is that an emergency reverse is three shifter clicks rather than two.
As an oldster myself I remember changing starter motors and solenoids on occasion. That's very rarely heard of anymore. Maybe start/stop helped improve the durability of the starter system.

What do you mean by "emergency reverse"?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm at 52,000kms on my '18 with no issues so far. I only wish GM would have allowed the option to turn off the auto start/stop.
It's a sales tactic. The 2021 Equinox now has the start/stop "off" button. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anyone know here if they all require the off mode to be requested upon every startup? Meaning it's not much different than selecting L9 IMO, the driver still has to manually turn it off every start up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2019 Equinox 1 year Review

⦁ 2019 Premier, FWD, 1.5 turbo, Manfactured. Oct 2018 Ontario, Canada; Purchased Jan 1, 2019;
The plant in Canada does great builds

⦁ The front speaker location is too far forward on the dash so sound bounces off windshield and makes it treblely. They should be closer to the driver for better sound.
Pop up the center speaker and un plug it you get better sound and separation

⦁ One of the first things that jumped out at me was that there was no Owners Manual case; Even my daughter's '18 Subaru Crosstrek has a nice leather one. I ended up buying a Corvette one on ebay. (C'mon Chevy, you gotta get better about that.)
You got a paper manual! I just use the one build in the infotainment system

⦁ Since the hood swoops down so much, front parking sensors would have been nice; I don't have that option on my car but I here they are now standard on the 2020 models;
My front camera works just fine (to scare other how close I can get with out hitting them :)

⦁ Outward vision on all new cars in general is lacking; The Equinox rear quarter vision is almost non existant;
I added a blind spot stick on mirror on the drivers side . It fills the only vision gap I had.

⦁ Fog lights are a nice touch but they aren't much help;
I put in 50,000 lumin bulbs and rewired them to my high beams and tilted them up. Wow does that help see at night with 4 beams which is still legal in our area

⦁ The 1.5L turbo power is sufficient for the two of us; 2.0 liter would have been nice to have but I didn't want to put premium fuel in it; I use my BMW for that ;)
Sorry.. I have the 2.0 and it only needs premium in the hot summer. I use my Honda on the Race track when I want to exceed the street limits.

⦁ Auto-stop/start hasn't been a problem; When I'm in stop and go traffic, I disable it by putting trans in manual mode;
I built my 10 cent disabler circuit (check the forum)

See notes in Quote Box

1 - 20 of 21 Posts