GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that own a 2019 Chevy Equinox. I am considering replacing the stock speakers with new. Manufacturer undecided at this time.
Can you tell me what size speakers are in the dash corners? I was looking for a video on how to remove the existing (dash/doors), but with the vehicle being so new, there isn't much info out there yet.
Can anyone provide any video or links on the removal?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll wait till people start posting videos on this on youtube.
Or I could buy this, post the video and become a youtube sensation/hero (ha ha)

Something tells me that the speaker grill on the dash just pops out and I'll see screws holding the speaker in place. (if I had to guess)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2019 Equinox LS non bose stereo and I added the speakers to my front dash (2" tweeters) and front door (6"x 5" speakers with mounting brackets) with crossovers and separate speakers (6" x 9" speakers) to my rear door. I ordered everything from Crutchfield and the brackets and harnesses needed were all included free of charge. This was all pretty straight forward and I accessed all the needed wires from my tuner module under the passenger side glove box. I have attached the master sheet for the 2018 up Equinox and my upgraded speaker instructions in case they help anyone else out. The one advice I can give is don't overthink the install the way I did. I took everything apart at least twice and would panic and put it all back together just to research more when my original plan was in fact correct. And yes when you take over the dash covers there is 2 bolts that will lift up the speakers and mounting brackets. There was a little rattle after my initial install so I padded the brackets and all is well now.
Then I wanted to add a subwoofer to the mix which I am in the process of doing now. While researching this I've read at least 50 different post from various forums which is confusing because everyone has different wire identification colors. What I thought was my main issue was getting through the firewall with the power wire which was fairly easy. I used the grommet on the driver's side that the hood release cable. I didn't want to push anything sharp into the grommet with all the power wires in case I accidently knocked one of them in the process. I'm currently debating where to tap into the head unit to get my other wires ran to the amp and will post when I decide where to actually do this. Just wanting to make sure I don't cancel out any of my ANC to get my amp and subwoofer working.
Sorry if any of this was confusing it was my first solo install in over 20 yrs and A LOT has changed since I was in high school watching my boyfriends install speakers and amps in our vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
After replacing all the speakers in my 2019 it still sounded poor.

Using a sweep generator and spectrum analyzer I found the following.

-Front door speakers only emit base
-New front tweeters had no mid range

Fix was to replace the bypass capacitors in the front tweeters with 200uf caps so they would fill in the mids.

-Rear speakers too low to give surround separation (all sound separation coming from front of car )

Solution mount two tweeters on top front of the rear doors with 200uF caps to handle highs and mids.
Disconnect the front center speaker

I now can set the balance to get great surround stereo sound.

(Of all the modifications the two '"top-front" rear door mounted (tweeter/mid) speakers made the biggest difference . If you are on a budget do that upgrade and just leave the stock speakers. It’s like adding virtual head phones.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
So was the poor sound because of a faulty component, or are the stereo / speakers in these just not very good?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So was the poor sound because of a faulty component, or are the stereo / speakers in these just not very good?
Multiple reasons

1. Stock speakers are cardboard junk

2. Direct replacement with good speakers was only the start of the improvement because.

-Front door speakers only emit base (filter built in stock system)
-New front tweeters had no mid range (no mid range from front door speakers and only tweeters will fit the small space as replacement = no front mid range ) fixed by capacitor change
-Rear speakers too low to give surround separation (bad design decision to place tweeters so low)

So now I found what works good is to be surronded by 4 tweeter/mid range speakers at ear height and 4 base speakers at your feet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Multiple reasons

1. Stock speakers are cardboard junk

2. Direct replacement with good speakers was only the start of the improvement because.

-Front door speakers only emit base (filter built in stock system)
-New front tweeters had no mid range (no mid range from front door speakers and only tweeters will fit the small space as replacement = no front mid range ) fixed by capacitor change
-Rear speakers too low to give surround separation (bad design decision to place tweeters so low)

So now I found what works good is to be surronded by 4 tweeter/mid range speakers at ear height and 4 base speakers at your feet
Excellent information! Thank you for sharing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts