GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get the water leak in the same place, if you look under the plastic before it bumps in there is a vent cut in there. That is where the water comes from, I also don't have a sun roof. I'm assuming it's the window seal. I only get water when there is a heavy rain, I've tried to duplicate the leak with a garden hose and nothing ever happens

Anyone get a water leak in the drivers side rear? Found a couple inches of water where the spare tire sits. Guess it is from the sunroof.

View attachment 16850

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the water leak in the same place, if you look under the plastic before it bumps in there is a vent cut in there. That is where the water comes from, I also don't have a sun roof. I'm assuming it's the window seal. I only get water when there is a heavy rain, I've tried to duplicate the leak with a garden hose and nothing ever happens
I cleared the four drain lines for the sunroof and it appears to have solved my issue Still waiting for a big rain here to be sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Post back and let me know, the only other thing I can think of is the water is getting in from under my factory roof rails if its not the window. You wouldnt happen to have those would you? Its just odd you have a sun roof and I dont and we still have the same issue

I cleared the four drain lines for the sunroof and it appears to have solved my issue Still waiting for a big rain here to be sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone get a water leak in the drivers side rear? Found a couple inches of water where the spare tire sits. Guess it is from the sunroof.

View attachment 16850
Did you find the source of the leak? Mine is doing the exact same thing and been to dealer, who supposedly fixed the leak (blocked sunroof hose) to the tune of $500...still leaking

·
Registered
4 Posts
We purchaseed the all new 2018 Equinox with the panoramic sunroof and the spare tire wheel well has 4" of standing water and the spare tire compartment and was overgrown with black mold. The mold I think was growing in the spare tire well IMO before we purchased the SUV from the Chevrolet dealer. I am reaching out to GM for help as this appears to be a factory defect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you find the source of the leak? Mine is doing the exact same thing and been to dealer, who supposedly fixed the leak (blocked sunroof hose) to the tune of $500...still leaking
My issue was the sunroof drains for sure. I blew compressed air though them and a lot of debris came out. The drain lines are only about 3/8" diameter, so it doesn't take a lot of debris to become clogged. My neighbor has a pine tree that has been dropping needles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My issue was the sunroof drains for sure. I blew compressed air though them and a lot of debris came out. The drain lines are only about 3/8" diameter, so it doesn't take a lot of debris to become clogged. My neighbor has a pine tree that has been dropping needles.
Do you have a more typical sunroof with two drain holes or the panoramic sunroof with four drain holes? We have a panoramic sunroof on the 2018 Equinox and to clear the two blocked rear drain holes you have to disassemble the interior of the back of the car starting at the spare tire floor work yoor way up the walls and finally drop the headliner. If you attempt this pay careful attention not to touch the sun shade or you will wrinkle it and will never look the same again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a more typical sunroof with two drain holes or the panoramic sunroof with four drain holes? We have a panoramic sunroof on the 2018 Equinox and to clear the two blocked rear drain holes you have to disassemble the interior of the back of the car starting at the spare tire floor work yoor way up the walls and finally drop the headliner. If you attempt this pay careful attention not to touch the sun shade or you will wrinkle it and will never look the same again.
I have the panoramic sunroof with four drain holes. I connected a 12" piece of 1/4" copper tubing to my air hose. I was able to get it directly into the drain holes without removing the headliner. Only the two rear drains were plugged with debris.

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
Blocker44 ,. Thanks I wasn't looking forward to dropping a headliner just to unclog a drain line. Good info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the panoramic sunroof with four drain holes. I connected a 12" piece of 1/4" copper tubing to my air hose. I was able to get it directly into the drain holes without removing the headliner. Only the two rear drains were plugged with debris.
That is very useful information, would you be willing to post some photo at your convenience?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know where the rear lines drain and where they are located? I have a 2018 Equinox with panoramic and rear carpet is soaked and spare tire was full of water. Seems like its coming from the drivers side rear. Opened up the fuse panel in driver side rear by the lift gate and it has drops of water. Everything dries up but constantly gets wet in middle of the rear floor. Thanks for any help. So frustrating and now we have a musty smell and obviously out of warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know where they drain out to? just figuring out if I blow air thru to make sure it clears the other end. thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know where they drain out to? just figuring out if I blow air thru to make sure it clears the other end. thanks
The rear drains are underneath the car, right behind the rear wheel wells. I think the front drains are right behind the front wheel wells.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The rear drains are underneath the car, right behind the rear wheel wells. I think the front drains are right behind the front wheel wells.
I'm curious as how you got to the rear drains, as the rear glass of the panoramic window is fixed. Did you blow it out from under the wheel well? I took a quick look from underneath and didn't see the drains. Just noticed leaking in the rear in the last few weeks, and the weather hasn't been too cooperative (rain & today snow) to really get a handle on whats leaking. It is dripping from the driver side rear fuse compartment, so I'm hoping its just the drain.
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious as how you got to the rear drains, as the rear glass of the panoramic window is fixed. Did you blow it out from under the wheel well? I took a quick look from underneath and didn't see the drains.
Exactly. The drains look like a 3/8 black poly tube. You can see one of them behind that rear fuse block

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know what that vent is for? I have the same leak, and won't have time to get it fixed for week or two and don't want any electrical to short circuit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately, mine doesn't appear to be the roof drains. I tried stuffing some braided weed eater line, and some fairly stiff clothes line in from the bottom, but ended up about a foot short of getting it all the way to the rear panoramic roof drains (just a guess, by trying to measure outside the car),but I did shoot some air at about 40 psi, and could hear it in the roof channel, so I know it's not completely blocked. I'm scheduled to take it in to the dealer tomorrow morning. Fortunately, I have a liner in the rear, that seems to capture the water, so it's not draining into the spare tire well. It's raining pretty good today, so it ought to be full when I take it to the dealer in the morning :mad:.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts