GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share this, My Company 19 Explorer is off getting some warranty and recall work done so I had the chance for the last three days to rent a 2020 Nissan Pathfinder with the Platinum Trim. I normally do not drive Toyotas and Nissans and was curious to see if their reliability and rock solid credentials held up.

I now know what people are referring to when they talk about the CVT being a Motorboat. What a racket this thing puts up, the drone would drive you crazy. This is from a 60.000 dollar Car (C) The inside was cheap and very flimsy and the heated seat switches were just very thin plastic. The 18 and up and probably earlier Terrains puts this vehicle to shame, Tight road manners and great interior, fantastic fuel mileage, I barely was able to get 23 mpg from the Pathfinder. I was also surprised to see that the Pathfinder was not very much bigger than the Terrain, but when you put the rear seats up, forget storage.

All the controls were all over the place, the heated wheel was down near the bottom of the dash near the obd2 port, some other needed controls were down beside it. The radio headunit was a nightmare, controls on different parts of the dash instead of something smart like GM did with the Headunits they use. The seats and leather and fabrics were also not up to standard, the GM Terrains and Noxes have this beat hands down.

I am surprised that this vehicle has a 5000 pound tow rating, I think that is a little optimistic.

It really makes you realize that Maybe for some of its Faults, the Terrain is a great vehicle for the money and head and shoulders above this. What a disappointment.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I thought I would share this, My Company 19 Explorer is off getting some warranty and recall work done so I had the chance for the last three days to rent a 2020 Nissan Pathfinder with the Platinum Trim. I normally do not drive Toyotas and Nissans and was curious to see if their reliability and rock solid credentials held up.

I now know what people are referring to when they talk about the CVT being a Motorboat. What a racket this thing puts up, the drone would drive you crazy. This is from a 60.000 dollar Car (C) The inside was cheap and very flimsy and the heated seat switches were just very thin plastic. The 18 and up and probably earlier Terrains puts this vehicle to shame, Tight road manners and great interior, fantastic fuel mileage, I barely was able to get 23 mpg from the Pathfinder. I was also surprised to see that the Pathfinder was not very much bigger than the Terrain, but when you put the rear seats up, forget storage.

All the controls were all over the place, the heated wheel was down near the bottom of the dash near the obd2 port, some other needed controls were down beside it. The radio headunit was a nightmare, controls on different parts of the dash instead of something smart like GM did with the Headunits they use. The seats and leather and fabrics were also not up to standard, the GM Terrains and Noxes have this beat hands down.

I am surprised that this vehicle has a 5000 pound tow rating, I think that is a little optimistic.

It really makes you realize that Maybe for some of its Faults, the Terrain is a great vehicle for the money and head and shoulders above this. What a disappointment.
A 2020 Pathfinder Platinum 4WD retails for around $46k. Nowhere near $60k. That being said, the CVT transmission would be a total deal breaker. I have coworkers who love their Nissans (Pathfinders and Muranos) and wouldn't ever be caught driving a GM vehicle.

No vehicle is perfect. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Toyotas tend to be a few steps above Nissans in terms of reliability and build quality. Just like domestic brands, the foreign brands have distinct characteristics that differentiate them from each other.

Thankfully it is just a loaner and you aren't stuck with it for more than a few days.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
My son has an Infiniti "Pathfinder", and I thought it is a very nice vehicle. I didn't find the CVT to be that bad. It is very quiet, and very comfortable. I think you are not giving it a fair shake. IMHO

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are right, I might not have been giving it a fair shake, but it was only my expectations of it that are not being met. I also did look up the price, it was 60k when you factor in the Canadian Dollar, and the 13 percent sales tax gouge. The other Nissan version the Infiniti starts 9k more. I respect that others might like it and this was just my humble opinion. As I said in my first post, I don't drive Japanese vehicles so I am not an expert on them but I have heard the hype.

·
Registered
102 Posts
CVT's suck. I will not own a car with one, period. I've driven a few cars with CVT's and hated them all. Most were economy cars that amplified the short comings of the transmission with the loud droning you get as the engine revs up to max rpm and then hangs there forever as the vehicle gains speed. The one that was almost acceptable was a Nissan Maxima but even then I couldn't help but think how much better the car would have been with a 6 speed auto or better yet, manual transmission.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Being a car guy, we actually test drove several competing vehicles in the past 1.5 years before upgrading to the 2019 Acadia we happened upon. A lot of this I do by myself during mid day when wife is still at work. I think it drives her and the dealer sales people a bit nuts. But. .. with dealer sales people, I only approach them (or they me) because they are sitting around in dealer show rooms doing a lot of nothing.
Anyway, I (and sometimes wife) looked or drove Nissan Pathfinder and even an Armada. I have to say the Pathfinder looked nice enough on the inside, but I agree that controls, the radio/infotainment screen and general layout was not ergonomic nor lent itself to intuitive access to controls. Also, were distracting even if you know where they are. The Armada was better, but really didn't spend much time and just sat in one fiddling. . . the price was not competitive with other brand offerings I thought.

The CVT. . .. again and again, I have to agree, it may be ok for a smaller vehicle, but even the Nissan Rogue we drove awhile ago left things wanting for freeway on ramps or passing/avoiding traffic in a blocked lane, etc. There was something like a less than positive engagement and response to pedal input I felt.
And. . . many of the ones I hear taking off are noisy or drone.

This is not just true of only Nissan. For the money, not thrilled with the Kia competition in comparable SUVs either and Hyundai are appointed nicely, but strike me as dressed up Kia with higher prices. Honda CRV. . . Toyota RAV4 . . . again, for the money we weren't impressed and/or felt seats not comfortable.

I am curious about the new Chevy Trailblazer and its tiny 1.2L and 1.3L motors. They also have a CVT. I may have to take one for a test drive. . . but probably not as they just seem too small and I am pretty sure will not impress with driving manners.
Call me "old school" , but sitting in and looking at the over all experience of many of the newer compact and mid sized SUVs leave we wanting. I don't want a small turbo that I have to put premium fuel in to play it safe. I'd rather have a well designed V6 that can perform and still get 22MPG city and 28 to 31 MPG highway. I had that in our 2015 Equinox and still have that in our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 with more room, comfort, quietness and smooth ride . .. for the same price.

And I do not mind driving something car reviewers think is "dated" in interior or exterior design. A lot of the new interiors appear glitzy, but just really mask cheap materials and short cuts in other areas like noise, vibration and harsh handling or ride.
As someone also stated. .. no car makers offering is perfect in the SUVs out there. So it comes down to what is acceptable to a potential owner.
If I were to go any larger. .. I would opt for a Chevy Tahoe. It would still fit in our garage (length isn't really more than many mid sized SUV). What some see as "dated" might really be . . . Comfort, Style and Elegance :grin:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
For those of you that are looking but not ready to buy right now, have a little patience.
I expect you will see some very good deals as the economy slows down.
You may have to choose from what's on the lot but a good buying opportunity.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nissan, only if it was free and then maybe. Their CVT issues are legendary, they change them like you change your undies. Niece has a '15 Pathfinder, 90k miles CVT blown. $5k and they will put a new one in, they do not reman. them. Research says she's lucky, it made it past 35k without blowing up.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Son has 65k Miles on his Infiniti "Pathfinder" with zero issues. Guess he is lucky. I don't notice his cvt as being obtrusive. Just saying... It is to big for my taste and needs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nissa already has lawsuit on their CVTs so that’s what would be the hit or miss already. It’s honestly two different size of vehicles so it’s really not fair to compare those together. If you say Terrain vs. Rogue or Acadia vs. Pathfinder that’s the more correct competition

1 - 10 of 10 Posts