GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are correct! Those two screws were not on the instructions.. Also, anyone who has the Diesel version, your are supposed to remove the DEF tank to get the trailer hitch bolts put through the frame. With some help from a friend you can do this without removing the tank. Just have someone pull the tank to the side a little and you can get the torque wrench in there to put in ALL THREE BOLT on the left side! If you noticed, the towing capacities of the diesel are less than the other two engine models. The reason is not because of the power ( the diesel pulls like a mountain goat), it is because you supposedly can't install all 6 mounting bolts (3 on each side)b, but only 5. But I found a away to do it. The problem lies with the position of the DEF tank. It sit against the underside of the frame where the mounting bolts rest. What I did was shim down the DEF tank with (I think 5 - 1/4") plastic spacers to drop the tank down just enough for the DEF tank not to rub on the heads of the mounting bolts. 5 small bolts support the DEF tank, one spacer for each support bolt did the trick. Poor design on GM's part. Works great.[/QUOTE]

did you have to cut your bumper? and were you able to see that nothing would rub when doing that? it seems gmc has discontinued the hitches. ordered one from a gmc parts house and they cancelled the order 2 days later so i went to ebay. cost me $30 more total between that and the cutout fascia piece.

SO IF YOU WANT AN OEM, ONE YOU BETTER BUY EM UP!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
That'd help me too lol...but I havent done it yet. Just got the bezel for the hitch hole today.. I wonder if only the diesel models were made without the hole precut..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm at the dealership now getting service. I'm prowling the lot and notice no 1.5l gas...no diesels here to check...have a cutout for a hitch. 2.0l all do have them.

Tells me the diesels are the same...not precut...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just ordered the hitch package and Bezel. Couple questions:

1. Did I order the correct hitch? I ordered PN 84239997 (hitch) along with Bezel PN 84300513 from a local dealer (from their parts web site).
When I log into my.gmc.com(to get the install instructions), the part that shows up for purchase is PN 84787686. What is the difference
Between the two?

2. A while back (from another thread) I was able to find the instructions on installing the hitch from my.gmc.com, but for some reason, can’t
Seem to find them now. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
As an update- the dealer told me there is no difference between the two hitch PN’s. So I am all set with that. I was also able to remove the rear bumper. A little nerve racking, but I got it done.

So my next question. I thought I needed the added Bezel to clean up the opening, but from the looks of it, I don’t need it. My Terrain is a SLT 2.0, so it does come with a removable center cover. It looks like the right option, but I just want to make sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been busy and haven't done mine yet. But you may need the bezel if it's not bumped out. just unscrew the cover

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed a hitch on my 2018 diesel a few weeks ago. Took about 90 minutes and pretty easy. I had to cut the bumper but everything turned out great. There was a vehicle trailer harness that I attached the trailer harness kit but when looking in the fuse panel my vehicle is missing the fuses/wires/terminals for the trailer controls. Pic attached. I removed the fuse block and there are ZERO wires behind k1 and k2. Anyone else run into this issue??

Attachments

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I think I bought the wiring package for my '18 Nox trailer kit from Curt, and I just connected the plug to the factory supplied plug, and that was all that was needed. They did provide a relay that was supposed to be plugged into the fuse panel located in the rear driver's side of the cargo area, but I recall that the factory had already plugged in the needed relay. I thing there was and installation video online from the ETrailer.com website.

BTW, I didn't have to cut my bumper for the install. My hitch sits below the bumper cover. It first, the low placement looked too low and bothered me, but "now" I don't even notice it when I am driving !

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 19 nox LT 1.5L
I bought the OEM hitch and it came with a harness that plugs into the 6 pin flat plug hiding behind the bumper. The harness had 2 relays in the harness for left and right turn signals. The relays/harness gets tie wrapped to the hitch, behind the fascia. The 6 pin flat connector has a left and right wire that goes to the coil of each relay(low current). There are fuses in the rear box for left and right power going to that 6 pin plug. Those fused power wires go to the contact of the relays, then the other side of the contacts go to the 4 pin hitch connector. If the turn signals are on and I am standing near the hitch, I can hear the relays clicking under the bumper. So Left and right are protected and isolated from the car's left/right. Of course, the harness only gives you a 4 pin trailer connector. And as said above, the wiring for left/right/backup relays in the fuse box is not provided unless you have V92 factory Tow, then you get 7 pin RV connector provided.

But, I am soon adding a 7 pin RV connector. Removing the 4 pin that is mounted on the hitch which reveals a cutout that will accept a twist and lock 7 pin connector. Going to wire into the existing 4 pin for the Left, Right, and Park/clearance. Hope to find the power wire to the backup camera(which is hot with ignition on) near the rear fuse box to run a 30Amp relay, tie in a 30A fuse to a spare position, and send the relay output to the the 7pin. There is a battery to charge in the camper and a refrigerator to run, so when we stop for food/event I don't want to drain the car battery. Then, hope to find the backup lights wire near the rear fuse box and wire in a relay and a 10A fuse for that to send to the hitch. MY camper has backup lights and are really nice for night arrivals. Even though the parking lights are already configured, I might put on a relay on that so they are isolated. In the camper, I can turn on the parking lights for lighting and don't want to feedback to the car lights.

But then 1 more thing, add a brake controller. Got the Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller (didn't want to waste dashboard space). It doesn't need brake wire, it uses the left/right and power/ground. The controller plugs into the 7 pin at the hitch then the trailer plugs into it. Cell phone programs the controller with an app. But I rather not have that hanging out the back of the car. So, going to mount it in the rear fuse box space and wire it in line.

Charlie

·
Registered
1 Posts
In reference to the wiring on the rear. I have an 2018 Equinox Premiere. I added a aftermarket hitch and the wiring was a pain for me. The Premiere uses LED lights in the rear and I believe the models below that use regular lights. I purchased a LED light kit and harness from ETrailer as I believe the LEDs use multiplexed wiring for signals. I had to run a hot wire to the battery for the adapter as the instructions led me to believe that there was not enough amperage/signals. Like the previous poster when I looked at the fuse panel behind the left wheel well all those spade connectors were empty. It makes sense to me as to why the later models have separate supplies as I bet they have LED lights on the rear also. Just stepping out on a limb here as I mainly consume all of your info over the years and it has helped me quite a bit. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Made some progress on adding 7 pin trailer connector. Not compete but found the connections needed. Above the rear fuse box there is a harness that goes up the rear pillar to the lift gate. That had several needed signals.

First, the backup lights wire in that bundle is green/white. Will run that to a diode protected relay to isolate backup lights to the trailer.

Next is the center brake light which is violet/white. I'm going to feed that into the bluetooth brake controller's (see previous post) left and right turn signals so hazard flashers don't trigger the trailer brakes.

Then I wanted a 12V hit wire when ignition is on. Found the rear camera power is run that way. It is violet/gray. But there are 2 wires of that color in that bundle, the other being the lift gate closed switch. Anyway I will run the ignition On signal to a relay to power the brake controller and also use that power to drive a 50 Amp relay to deliver power to the trailer only when ignition is on.

Fir fuse, plan on using the empty spots in the fuse box that already have power supplied by a bus bar. 30A to the trailer power relay, 10A for backup light relay, 15A to the brake controller relay.

2 of the relays I plan to mount in the empty relay sockets.

Still plenty to do.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts