GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2018 Terrain SLT 1.5 awd - Everything was tight and good for 15k or so. Then it felt like the front wheels were moving independently of each other when changing lanes. Like the left tire would pull into the lane and then the right instead of it being a uniform lane change. I didn't think much of it until I saw the outside of the tires cupping at about 22k. The rest of the tire wear seemed even. The car didn't pull. I also had an occasional creak from the front end when going over speed bumps or pulling into driveways with an incline to them.

The dealership claimed it was alignment on the tire wear and lower control arm bushings/front stabilizer shaft bushings on the creak. They replaced the control arm bushings and stabilizer shaft. Did an alignment. The alignment didn't make sense to me as the car never pulled

That independent movement feeling persisted. And now the car rocks side to side like that stabilizer is gone. They initially claimed that they don't feel anything and sent the car back.

Now the inside of the front tires are cupping and the inside of the front tires are nearly bald. Both of the issues in the previous paragraph persist. I'm heading back to the dealership.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I don't recall anyone else with similar problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How can anyone in the right mind see the wear on your tires and say they can find nothing wrong. Say since they made adjustments your tires are now bald on the inside, obviously they changed something, because if it was like like before; the professional mechanic doing the work surely would have noticed and reported the issue to you.Go to another dealer and ask for another opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get your alignment specs and post them. The fact that the odd wear patterns changed drastically after the last alignment means they most likely over adjusted...hence the reason seeing the before and after specs may help.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dealers love to sell alignments...and typically they do a sketchy job on them. The original tires on my Equinox went 42,500 miles. All even wear, never got an alignment. When I put the new tires on, I had a four wheel alignment done (I usually get an alignment only when putting on new tires and then rotate every oil change). The tires now have 16,000 miles on them, and when I was at the dealer for my annual state inspection they suggested a four wheel alignment due to the tires being "choppy". I declined and decided to just have an alignment done the next time I get tires. All four tires are at the same tread depth...there is very slight "chopping" on the outer edge, but otherwise no noticeable handling problems.

Seems like the alignment on the OP's car is way off. Might be best to go to a dedicated tire shop for new tires and have the alignment checked. Many tire shops will offer a complimentary alignment check if you are buying tires from them. As others have said, also get the alignment print out so you can see the before and after values. Very few dealer service departments provide the print out.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Seems odd that your tires started cupping after getting the alignment. Hummm....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the alignment specs. I've never been a fan of alignments. Unless you're often on very rough roads and hitting potholes, the only time that they should be done is when other work mandates that its necessary imo.

Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I reposted trying to get a better viewing size on those specs. It's either very small or huge. No in between.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I re-read your post....alignment....you had a control arm bushing replaced...most likely they took apart a few things to get to that, so that makes more sense there. True cupping...as in banded stripes across the tire??? Or just that the edges are feathering??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I re-read your post....alignment....you had a control arm bushing replaced...most likely they took apart a few things to get to that, so that makes more sense there. True cupping...as in banded stripes across the tire??? Or just that the edges are feathering??
The edges feathering unevenly. First the outside with even tire wear across the tread. After the service and alignment, the inside feathering unevenly with balding on the inside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Front, back, all?? Everything so far leads me to think it is still way out of alignment or it has a failed bushing somewhere causing issues when under load.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front, back, all?? Everything so far leads me to think it is still way out of alignment or it has a failed bushing somewhere causing issues when under load.
Front initially. But they've been rotated to the back at this point. The current front are the ones balding on the inside. After the alignment, the inside balding may be happening to the rear as well, but just much slower as there's not as much pressure there.

My thought is either bushing or something bent. After the the service and having this wobble start, I think that's something not attached/ adjusted properly related to the service that was done.

2 separate issues related to the same problem. They've had the vehicle since Wednesday. I've gotten the shop foreman, service manager, and general manager involved at this point. This is the 5th time that its been there for this.

I'm still interested in any theories or suggestions from all.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Feathering is usually alignment. Cupping on one tire could be a shifted belt in the tire or a bad/weak strut.
Struts are harder to check unlike the old ''bounce'' test of shocks and coil spring suspensions. Struts would have to be pulled out and spring removed to actually test it.
A weak strut on one corner will make it feel ''loose'' and unstable.
Once a tire has been run enough to show significant wear it will not get any better in a different location.
Just my 2 cents, unusual for a strut to go at 15k but anything is possible as 5% of anything made can be defective as even the space rockets sometimes don't get off the pad on the first shot and they are assembled by guys in clean rooms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts