GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having problems with the Navigation / Stereo and whole info screen. I have read some are having the same problems.With mine it usually acts up when using the Nav. Comes up with a SD Card error code. Then gets worse and whole unit shuts down or no sound or drops phone.First time back at dealer they replaced sd card reader and usb wire. Worked for about a week. Just picked truck up today. They said they need to replace whole unit and its on order.
Will post more when new 8" Info screen is installed.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Terrain
46 Posts
That's a bummer. Does it have issues on startup, or after a certain series of button presses / menu page switching? Do you have a phone plugged in when it happens (I realize Android Auto / Carplay are separate from the built in nav functionality). I have an '18 SLT diesel, but haven't had any issues like you describe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Crispy
It seems to come and go for the phone and radio not working but id say 95% of the time i try to use the navigation it doesnt work. most times comes up with SD Card error. sometimes just sits there searing with a blank screen. New head unit is in and i have to drop it off this week again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2018 Terrain Danali. It's about 4 months old. We drove it to Florida end of January. On the way down we listened to iPod music connected through the USB. On the second day of driving the entire sound system just quit. No radio, NAV voice or phone speaker. It wouldn't come back on until we stopped for lunch for an hour. Restarting the car - it came back. For several days after we had random dead sound system issues. It didn't seem to matter what source was playing - radio, Sirius XM, whatever. It hasn't happened lately but I'm sure it will again. Biggest frustration with these problems is dealers just get that glazed look in their eyes. No idea what to do, they start replacing things and tying up the car for days. Until GM admits there's a software or hardware issue this will just keep happening. Apparently there are others with similar sound issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So update on problem. Went back to the dealership twice and problem still there. They have replaced every component of the system and then got GM engineer's involved. Electronics for your navigation system or handled by a third-party electronics company. Now they say everything has to be replaced as a set. So back to the dealership tomorrow hopefully the 6th time works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well 6th and all new parts still no luck. Apparently now it's in the hands of GM engineers. Waiting for the phone call to see what their next plan is. Still no navigation phone still drops. Stereo seems to be working though I guess that's one plus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I am having same issues with customers with 2018 Terrain and XTS. Keep getting SD Card Error for Maps. It is super annoying. Change hubs, SD Cards, and Head Units still nothing. There is no info on the web about this yet since these vehicles are too new and only few vehicles have these new systems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no word from GM about a fix for the issue. I'd say it's annoying navigation hasn't worked from day one blank screen SD error card errors. Intermittent stereo working so no music or lose connection on your phone and it drops. Not happy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Infotainment Issues on 2018 GMC Terrain SLT

I've had my new 2018 GMC Terrain SLT for LESS THAN TWO months, and I too am experiencing entire sound system just quitting/goes to blank-black screen, no radio, NAV voice or phone speaker, getting SD Card Error with message "This SD card is not valid in this vehicle for navigation. Please refer to the owner's portal website for more information. You can also contact customer support or your local dealer for help". The website tells you absolutely NOTHING. These are scary issues not knowing if the car with also stop all of a sudden, putting me in a a dangerous situation. I'm now more frustrated knowing several others are dealing with these same issues and it doesn't appear GM is acknowledging it as a software/hardware issue. what warrants a recall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2018 SLE with nav option

I do not have the same symptoms you are all having, but I do feel the infotainment system is buggy. I use Apple CarPlay often and sometimes it just stops working in the middle of a drive. Still rare but at least 2 instances. Also, my phone's text alert is abnormally loud. VERY LOUD. I have gone through every setting I can and made sure it's turned low on my phone and it still is bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update a month later with several calls to my dealership still no word from GM on a fix. Picked up truck Dec 3 now over 4 month later nothing. never know if your system will work. have had to leave truck at home and take other truck because of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Terrain Danali. It's about 4 months old. We drove it to Florida end of January. On the way down we listened to iPod music connected through the USB. On the second day of driving the entire sound system just quit. No radio, NAV voice or phone speaker. It wouldn't come back on until we stopped for lunch for an hour. Restarting the car - it came back. For several days after we had random dead sound system issues. It didn't seem to matter what source was playing - radio, Sirius XM, whatever. It hasn't happened lately but I'm sure it will again. Biggest frustration with these problems is dealers just get that glazed look in their eyes. No idea what to do, they start replacing things and tying up the car for days. Until GM admits there's a software or hardware issue this will just keep happening. Apparently there are others with similar sound issues.
I am having this problem with my 2018 Terrain. .. it is very intermittent.
Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
FM Presets Issue

I have had my 2018 Terrain SLT for close to two weeks and yesterday my FM Favorites were grayed out and when you try to tap them they say they are unavailable. My XM presets work just fine. If I use the tuner in FM I can listen to anything, but my presets are useless. Any ideas?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had my 2018 Terrain SLT for close to two weeks and yesterday my FM Favorites were grayed out and when you try to tap them they say they are unavailable. My XM presets work just fine. If I use the tuner in FM I can listen to anything, but my presets are useless. Any ideas?
I've had the same issue with 'Tuner Unavailable'. Today for the third time my steering wheel controls become delayed by roughly 6 minutes. So whatever I pressed happened 6 minutes later. In dead stop on highway I turned off car, opened door, and all of a sudden the audio got louder. Ther radio should turn off when car is off, not in accessory, and door is opened lol. I fiddled with everything on the drive home, nothing worked. Once home I did a total factory reset of the head unit, no change. They've reporamed mine twice. It's unfortunate because infotainment is like one of the top three things they market in these cars. Safety and # of seats are the other two, after that it's just a box with wheels. For $40K you get the technology of a 1992 gateway.

One time I had the reverse camera stay on the screen for two hours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well update on my issues.Truck was in shop for 3 weeks. it came back with a 8" scratch on the door and working Nav. So good and bad.I knew i was going for a long trip to Kentucky so told them i will let them know how it is. Nav still working but still dropping phone and radio presets freeze now and again or no sound. Also additional problems with back seat leather bubbling up and sun glass holder not opening all the way.Also door needs to be painted. truck has been in the shop 11 times now and last time was 3 weeks. getting pissed off now. i bought a new truck because im in a wheelchair and need a reliable one. so far it hasnt been. tomorrow GM Canada is getting a call from me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Regarding the presets: I encountered that as well.
I was initially running the vehicle using the "guest" user profile.
Once I added my own profile and tied it to my "my.gm" online account, the problem went away and so far has not returned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My one week old Denali has issues too. One issue is that the entire system freezes. No matter what button you push, no response until you shut vehicle off and restart. Another similar issue right after the system froze was the out door temp. registered at 35 deg., even though the actual temp was 95 deg. Lasted until car was turn off, system booted down and rebooted. At the same time, while listening to music via usb, volume stopped.

Now as to what I have found, On April 5th, GM posted a request for dealers to provide field information relating to system freezing, or touch screen not responding. Sounds like at that time they were aware of the problem and were looking for specifics from owners as to the parameters at the time of the issue. Not sure if they ever resolved the issue.

I found a TSB relating to the volume issue dated, March 28th. While the specific repair info is not available, it states" Repair bad terminal and re-route harness", so there is apparently a solution to this problem.

I have an appointment on Monday morning to address these issues as well as well as my back up camera being so bright at night that it is basically useless. There is a software update for this problem.

It behooves me as to why during the delivery process why the dealer can't look up any TSB's for the respective vehicle and perform the minor corrections prior to turning the vehicle over to the customer. Really sucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Terrain Denali Navigation/Stereo Issues

I have a 2018 just have 10,010 miles on it. I am having same issues listed above. Already been serviced twice end of April. It lasted about 5 weeks, I just got it back Saturday, now Thursday it's already started back screen jumping around, dropping calls, radio acting up and now screen black. Scheduled to go back Wednesday. I'm concerned that it will catch fire, seems like it's an electrical short somewhere.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My Wifes 2018 Terrain with the SLT trim package, has had her radio lose all sound once and it did the same to me. I turned off the engine and it came back on right away. This will be something to keep an eye on. Obviously with a new style radio operating system you would think they would have worked out the bugs instead of having it debugged in the field. Gm is not the only one with this problem, Dodge with their 8.4 screen radios always go bad and a rebuilt unit is put in. I rented a 2018 Yukon XL with the SLT trim package and it still uses the older mylink system that worked flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.