GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2018 Terrain Needs New Motor Mount

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RIT333 
#1 ·
38500 miles - mostly highway - pretty calm driving - no hard acceleration, smooth paved roads, etc
But after trying to track down some weird rattles and clanks - it turned out to be the right (2.0 liter) motor mount.
Crazy - but just outside the warranty of 3/36000

I'm thinking it is a faulty motor mount to begin with...any thoughts?

#3 ·
Wow! Never heard of such a thing! That’s terrible performance! I’ve driven all my vehicles over 200k miles with their original motor mounts.

Is this one of those liquid-filled ones (and you could see it leaking)?

#5 ·
It shouldn't be difficult to replace on a 4 cylinder unless there is a lot of tubes and wire harnesses in the way. Put a block of wood on a floor jack under the engine to take the weight off and replace it.
Unless it is an oil filled mount. That might be messy and more involved.
Got to replace it soon or risk the exhaust system getting torqued and damaged not to mention engine-transmission mount stresses.

Reactions: RIT333
#8 ·
Motor mount issues are all over the pickup and suv forums, the liquid filled ones are not lasting like the solid old school ones. Its been such a problem that Gm issued a Service Bulletin and now replaces the mounts. One thing that is contributed to the issue was the lowering of the RPM of the vehicle, now these 5.3 and 6.2 LS engines idle only at 490 or 500 rpm. This was done to save fuel.

#10 ·
Interesting fix - replaced two motor mounts - but the rattle continued. Apparently, when the motor sags lower due to the failed motor mount it breaks an e-clip that holds up the exhaust. But if you replace the motor mounts the exhaust still rattles. So the fix is not only the motor mount but re-positioning the exhaust and clipping it back in place. As they explained it to me. One of the techs found it as a service bulletin. Nice work. All I know is that there is no more rattling!

#11 ·
Ok the clicking and noises returned. It turned out to be a (sorry not a mechanic here) bolt head that connected to the bracket that held up the exhaust pipe - under the car, near front vs the rear of the exhaust. As the pipe shifts forward while driving or when rocking back and forth as one goes over speed bumps, for example, the head of the bolt connected to the bracket clacks against the metal housing that surrounds the pipe. (Sorry for the poor explanation). So the frustrated mechanic took a grinder and just lopped off the head of the bolt. Now if there is any play in the exhaust pipe moving forward and backward, there is enough space between the bracket and the housing that they don't connect. Problem solved. Whew.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.