GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed or has this installed yet? This is the one from GMC. I was told it integrates into the bumper to provide a cleaner look than the aftermarket ones I'm seeing but I got a call today from GMC and they're claiming they can't get anything to fit right with the bumper. I'm going up there after work to see what they're on about but I didn't know if anyone has had it installed yet and can provide any feedback? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are keeping our Terrain overnight. They cut out a section of the bumper as instructed by GM (it's a section that's set up to be easily removed) but when they installed the hitch and reinstalled the bumper part of the bumper still covered the hitch.

They spoke with GM who confirmed it will fit the 1.5 so they've taken photos and contacted some help line to get recommendations on what to do next.

Hopefully it'll go smoothly and I'll get it back tomorrow. I went with this hitch because the hitches that have below the bumper are quite ugly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Four days later it's finally done. They weren't really clear on what was the cause of all of the issues. I'm just happy to have it back.

I'm glad I paid the premium to go this route. The hitch sits up much higher and in the bumper instead of hanging below the bumper where the entire hitch is visible. It does sit a bit high in the cutout but our bike rack fits in it without issue and doesn't rub. The slightly downward angle of the picture makes it look worse than it is.

To be honest I thought it may not work after a day or two of not having it. When you select the trailer hitch when you're building a GMC Terrain online, it requires the 2.0 engine to make it work. We have the 1.5.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks like the same unit I installed on our 1.5 Equinox Premium. I bought it as an OEM accessory through the dealer. I don't have to know but, I bet the labor charge was significant (And should be). On the Equinox, the whole rear bumper cover, up to the tail lights, including the tail lights, had to be removed. The original backup bumper is replaced with the hitch. (A significant aluminum structure that should have been returned to you unless you got credit on the install). On the Equinox removing the original backup bumper eliminated the screw-in tow hook feature, but the safety hook holes on the receiver could be used instead.
The only change I made on mine was the plug. I used a twist-to-latch 7-pin plug, as used on the 2.0 vehicles, (using only four positions), because I thought it would look neater than the adapter for the flat four connector. I may never use it but, I have a small aluminum trailer that could be used with it as long as I load it lightly.
Howard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a word of caution- the GMC website states that the towing capacity for a hitch installed is different than the towing capacity with the trailering package installed. 1000lb vs 3500lb. If you are only using it for a bike rack its no big deal, but the dealership tried to give me just a hitch instead of the trailering package under the guise that a hitch was all I needed. I had to show them the GMC trailering guide document.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just a word of caution- the GMC website states that the towing capacity for a hitch installed is different than the towing capacity with the trailering package installed. 1000lb vs 3500lb. If you are only using it for a bike rack its no big deal, but the dealership tried to give me just a hitch instead of the trailering package under the guise that a hitch was all I needed. I had to show them the GMC trailering guide document.

Not including the hitch, how much did the trailering package cost?
Is the trailering package just the switch and a software update?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not including the hitch, how much did the trailering package cost?
Is the trailering package just the switch and a software update?

I think the package was 750$, I'll try and dig up the paperwork. It is an upgraded transmission cooler, some electronics, wiring and receiver. Possibly rear end suspension change but i'm not sure of that. The transmission dial in the center console has a trailering mode position if the package is installed, that's the easy way to tell if it has the package or only the receiver for your 3500lbs vs 1000lbs capability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also, while I will completely agree your factory install looks super clean, from the factory there is a cover that fills over the entire bumper and you can’t even tell it has a hitch at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts

My dealer tried to pull the same thing. I demanded that it have all the extra goodies installed (I tow boats or two seadoos often) and they balked. Make sure you get the trailering option if you are going to pull anything with some weight. Sure it’s the transmission cooler that makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone else have success adding the factory or aftermarket hitch? I see etrailer has a diesel specific product now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I didn't get the hitch cover on our 19' Denali.. We paid for the factory tow package and there is no cover to hide the receiever when it's not in use. It's no big deal but should I ask for that cover? I thought I read somewhere that the hitch covers fall off all the time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts