GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2018 diesel with about 25,000 miles. Around the 15k mile point, it got stuck in a regen cycle and had to be manually serviced at the dealer. Otherwise, no problems or complaints and I regularly get anywhere from 38-42mpg.

Recently though, my service engine light came on (a day after I had it in for an oil change). Took it in and they ran the diagnostic code and said it was P2457. They performed a software update for the emission recall. The next day the light came back on, same code. This time they said it was due to soot buildup and forced regen, performed road test, etc. Less than a week later the light is back on. I have only driven about 200 miles since then.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so what was the remedy?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey all,
I have a 2018 diesel with about 25,000 miles. Around the 15k mile point, it got stuck in a regen cycle and had to be manually serviced at the dealer. Otherwise, no problems or complaints and I regularly get anywhere from 38-42mpg.

Recently though, my service engine light came on (a day after I had it in for an oil change). Took it in and they ran the diagnostic code and said it was P2457. They performed a software update for the emission recall. The next day the light came back on, same code. This time they said it was due to soot buildup and forced regen, performed road test, etc. Less than a week later the light is back on. I have only driven about 200 miles since then.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so what was the remedy?
I don’t recall the error code but I had a problem with the air inlet temp sensor. The technician said the upstream sensor was covered in oil causing erroneous readings. One of the signs is if your coolant fans run frequently after shutting off the car. Kind of has me concerned that there is so much oil in the inter cooler pipes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same code come in several months ago, P2457 Exhaust Gas Recirculation cooling system performance. First the dealer downloaded a new update which expanded temperature range, shortly thereafter I received same code, dealer took some more readings and ordered new Exhaust Gas Recirculation heat exchanger and replaced. No issues since replacement. Similar examples on the Chevy Cruze forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! It does sound very similar to your issue Biketerrain. Unfortunately no updates yet, they've had it since Wed (Sat now), and gave me an estimated completion date of the 11th. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
DTC P2457

Diagnostic Instructions•Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicleprior to using this diagnostic procedure.
•Review Strategy Based Diagnosisfor an overview of the diagnostic approach.
• Diagnostic Procedure Instructionsprovides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC DescriptorsDTC 2457
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler Low Efficiency
Circuit/System Description
The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler has internal coolant passages and metal fins between the passages to help carryaway excessive exhaust gas heat. Engine coolant flowing through the EGR cooler helps cool the exhaust gases flowing to theEGR valve. The EGR cooler must remain within a specific temperature range to efficiently reduce emissions. The engine controlmodule (ECM) determines the efficiency of the EGR cooler by monitoringboth EGR temperature sensors while the EGR valve is active.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 6.0 diesel as well as one of these and this is sounding like the egr cooler will rupture like in the 6.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts