GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has tried different tires to help with the rough ride in a new Terrain.
Mine is the 2018 Denali version with Hankook 235-50-19" tires. On rough roads it's the worst ride of any vehicle I've ever had. You can feel every bump and heave in the road.

I had installed 18" wheels with Michelin snows during the winter and noticed a definite improvement. I would like to stick with the 19" Denali wheels for summer driving but wondering if anybody has tried different tires than the Hankooks. I didn't want to spend the money on much better Michelins for summer and find out it's the 19" that's the problem.

I do know that this new version of the Terrain (2018 +) has a crappy ride from all the reports I've read and my own experience but looking for ways to make it a little better at least.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You aren't going to notice a HUGE improvement with tires alone. I noticed a slight improvement switching to Continental tires. They made some small changes to the 2021 models to improve ride with some new coil spring cushions. One member here has tried them and didn't notice an improvement.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cooper has some for the Terrain now. Look at tire rack. The hankooks are crappy tires. The reviews on Tirerack show that plus they are also more expensive than many other tires. The 2020 Terrain Denali does have new shocks and struts to help with the ride. When i need to replace my shocks I'm going to get the 2020/2021 shocks for it. I have 2019 and the ride is rough over certain rode conditions.

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali
4 Posts
For 2020 they re-worked the dampers a bit for the denali; which already has an "upgraded" suspension from the lower models.

I recently purchased a 2018 CPO with 64k miles and I am thinking about swapping out some 2020-spec dampers. Maybe start with the rear (since that is cheaper and easier) and see if there is a noticeable difference.

"For the 2020 model year, the GMC Terrain Denali gets further ride improvements by introducing an additional internal valve for the struts and shocks to deliver even more refinement. This is in addition to the upgraded urethane spring isolators that were present for 2018 and 2019 model years."

2020 GMC Terrain Denali Receives Upgraded Suspension | GM Authority

rock auto shows a different part # for the denali dampers as opposed to the 2018-2019. things busy at home but on my to-do list.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When replacing tires move to a T rated tire instead of H rated. Ride quality of GM vehicles just plain ol sucks. They need to take classes from Toyota or Ford.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When replacing tires move to a T rated tire instead of H rated. Ride quality of GM vehicles just plain ol sucks. They need to take classes from Toyota or Ford.
I will check into that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this. I just bought a 2018 after test driving a 2020. I also test drove the 2018 of course, but the second day I noticed I felt EVERY little bump and at first was sure it was because I was feeling a bit achey from my vaccine. Then I read about tire pressure and I think mine are overinflated - all at around 40 PSI - so I'll deflate them a bit.

The dealer also said there is about 85% tread left on the tire but I don't think that was accurate, so I'll just get new tires for next winter.

My jeep I traded in had a smoother ride, and they had continental tires.

I got the Denali BECAUSE of the upgraded suspension from the lower models so i'm pissed now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts