GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GMC has approx 30k miles. Something punctured a hole in the side of one of my tires, and it needs replaced.

I told the tire shop to order 2x Good Year Assurance WeatherReady, but someone mentioned to me I should be buying all 4x as un-even treads could affect traction. I live in mid-west which can have heavy winters, what are my best options? Will having 2x new tires with 2 older tires have negative impact? What should I be considering?

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
IMHO, it is not a good idea, due to the different tread patterns, and more importantly different diameters, due to wear on the older tires, but I would ask your dealer for their "educated" opinion. Sucks to have one bad tire, and need to buy 4 tires to replace "it".

When it happened to me with my Maxima, I searched EBay, and was able to buy a used replacement with the same model tire, and with wear only 1/32 different. And, I don't even have AWD on the Maxima.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am considering goodyear assurance max life on all four corners when the OEM hankoos wear out.. I have dedicated wheels and snow tires for winter

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMO if it has AWD that would be more critical to do 4, just fwd I'd just swap 2..

Just my .02

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our neighbor has a Subaru and she found a place to "shave" some tread off the two new tires to match the diameter of the other tires. OTOH, for about $300 more, she could have 4 new ones so that's what she did. If the fronts are a different diameter than the rears, where does the slip occur? Or, I guess, you could turn off the AWD for a while.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had big mudder tires shaved to get a smooth ride.. Watching the new rubber get shaved off & onto the floor was like the tire was in a lathe.

And All I could think was the money getting cut off.. I'd save up or whatever & pop for 4 fresh tires before I'd have them shaved.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It will negatively effect
the life of your transmission
And your transfer case

If your tires are of different diameters
You will shorten the life of transmission and transfer case.
That is why you should replace all 4 tires
Keep tires properly inflated,
keep them all at same psi.....
And rotate tires according to the pattern in your manual every oil change
( most shops including gm dealers do not rotate tires according to manual)

You are at 30k miles?
Consider doing the 5 quart transmission fluid change
And consider a transfer case fluid change.
Use 100% synthetic gm approved fluid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would think you’d be ok with two new ones as long as they’re on the same axle. And if you intend on doing the other two relatively soon. Cuz face it, you’re at 30k. They’re probably down to 5/32nds anyway. Not exactly new rubber.

As far as drivetrain damage, I think some of the stuff that’s been posted is quite mythical. And hilarious. Y’all are making it sound like he’s gonna have 22’s in the front and 14’s in the rear or something ridiculous causing ridiculous driveshaft angles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would think you’d be ok with two new ones as long as they’re on the same axle. And if you intend on doing the other two relatively soon. Cuz face it, you’re at 30k. They’re probably down to 5/32nds anyway. Not exactly new rubber.

As far as drivetrain damage, I think some of the stuff that’s been posted is quite mythical. And hilarious. Y’all are making it sound like he’s gonna have 22’s in the front and 14’s in the rear or something ridiculous causing ridiculous driveshaft angles.

Maybe but it might be more like activating the electronic stability control system when it senses that the front wheels are turning more slowly than the rear tires. It might start apply some brake pressure to the rear wheels or some other effect. Or if there's a front/rear slip detection and some limited slip feature in the X'fer case that would not be "happy" with the difference. I don't know enough about the electronic stability control to know what might happen but I do know that it measures the wheel speed and adjusts the power or the brakes to compensate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe but it might be more like activating the electronic stability control system when it senses that the front wheels are turning more slowly than the rear tires. It might start apply some brake pressure to the rear wheels or some other effect. Or if there's a front/rear slip detection and some limited slip feature in the X'fer case that would not be "happy" with the difference. I don't know enough about the electronic stability control to know what might happen but I do know that it measures the wheel speed and adjusts the power or the brakes to compensate.

Didn’t really think about that. I would think it wouldn’t be quite that sensitive, but I suppose it’s possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2wd 2012. I had to get 2 tires due to a failed inspection. Long story bad alignment job. Still fighting for reimbursement. I put 2 used tires for a quick fix and then replaced the other two a little later. Now i just bought 2 new tires to replace the used ones i bought. Ive always had a matching pair on the axels and never had any problems with the trans or any other systems. Just keep up the rotations and keep the matching pairs on the axels. The reason for rotating is to even out the tire wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts