GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2018 premier and have been looking for wheels for Winter tires. I guess it's a little early for take-offs since the 2018 models now have a 5 x 115 bolt pattern. I plan on buying a set of 17 x 7" OEM take-offs if I can find them. I plan on using 225/65R17 snow tires. (Same diameter as stock 225/60R18's used on premier).
I've noticed the 2005-2009 Equinox used the 5 x 115 bolt pattern, (2010-2017 wheels are 5 x 120), but I can't find center hole specs. and the lug studs are 12mm instead of the 14mm used on the 2018 models. I might consider some of the wheels offered by Tire Rack but don't know center hole size of new wheels.
1. Has anyone found a source for 2018 OEM wheels?
2. I suspect the Malibu uses the same wheel specs. but can't find anything on them either.
3. Has anyone used 17 x 7 after-market wheels on their 2018?
HELP!
Thanks,
Howard

·
Registered
407 Posts
Following with interest. Winter is coming and i will soon be in the same boat.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Can't understand why GM insists in changing bolt patterns on model re-designs. Seems like all MFGs should be required to standardize.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I put my 2018 Premier up on the lift this morning to take some wheel dimensions so I could shop intelligently for some wheels for winter tires.
These are 18" wheels but offset, bolt pattern, center hole size, bolt hole size and lug stud size should be the same as the LT 17" wheels. I believe the 17" wheels are also 7" wide. Here's the info.
Size: 18x7J IS43 (I assume IS is Chinese for offset based on my findings below)
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 115
Lug Size: 12 x 1.5mm
Center Hole: 70.358mm (approx., converted from SAE measurement)
Hub size: 70.231 " "
Width: 7"
PN (18"): 23201279
I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm going to use this information to check for a proper fit using the following web site:
https://www.wheel-size.com
Your input is as good as mine, so add to this as you learn more about the 2018 wheels. I would like to get PN for the 2018 17" wheel if anyone has one off. (It's on the back of one of the spokes).
Lets get this done!!
Howard

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't understand why GM insists in changing bolt patterns on model re-designs. Seems like all MFGs should be required to standardize.
I don't think all the GM vehicles uses different bolt patterns (I can be wrong though) because I know many people uses the new truck's wheels and fit it in their old trucks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vic1212, Don't count on it! Just to give you an idea of the diiferent bolt circles, my Chevy Trax is 5x105, the 2005-2009 equinoxs are 5x115, the 2010-2017 equinoxs are 5x120 and the 2018 equinox is back to 5x115. That's not all; GM, in their infinate wisdom used wheels 16"-19" (stock and optional), years 2005-2018. There were also at least two different size lugs used, (12 and 14mm).
I've corrected two wheel suppliers who ass..umed that the bolt pattern for 2018 was 5x120 as it was in 2017.
I dug into the link I posted above that I have counted on for other wheel searches and found errors there too. They show a 5x115 wheel with all specs. matching our equinoxs, turns out those wheels were only used on Buicks sold in Asia. (I didn't want to go that far for wheels).
I plan on arranging to try one of the 17" 2005-6 at a local salvage yard to see how they fit, (all specs. look right), we'll see.
Howard

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey jimmyfloyd, good to here from someone who does the research. I thought I had entered a dead zone. I researched wheels using the same source. I took all the measurements from one of my stock wheels and entered them into the program. I then increased +/- offset leaving all other data exactly the same as my wheel, ie. dia.,width,bolt pattern and center hole. I only had to +/- 2-3mm to get closest. If you do this you will come up with a bunch of Buick FWD cars. I found that the Buick Verano came closest, (within 2-3 mm, less than 1/8"). I just got back from pickng up a set today. I plan to confirm there fit tomorrow and will post results. By the way, I used Hollanderparts.com to locate the Verano wheels. The site allows you to put in your zip code to sort sources closest to you. In most cases there is also an assessment of the wheel's condition and price.
Howard

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This will be my final post on this subject unless I can answer a question that may come up.
As I said above I tried the "new" Buick Verano wheels on my 2018 Equinox today, and everything worked perfectly. Even the bowtie center cap fit the Verano wheel. My Equinox wheel happens to be 18", that uses a 225/60-18 tire. The LS and LT use a 17" wheel with 225/65-17 tires. Offset, Center hole, width and bolt pattern are the same for both sizes. Diameter of tire and wheel are equal because of the profile difference (60 vs 65). I am going with a 17" wheel because 17" tires are cheaper. Here is the comparative specs. for the Equinox vs Verano wheel:
Width: Verano= 7" Equinox= 7"
Center Hole: Verano= 70.3mm Equinox= 70.3mm
Bolt Pattern: Verano= 5 x 115mm Equinox= 5 x 115mm
Offset: Verano= 44mm Equinox= 43mm ( Less than .040 difference)
Part Number Verano= 22758350 Equinox= 23201239 (18")
Based on my research, the correct TPMS sensor is PN 13598772. They are available on EBAY for less than $12 ea. in "4-packs".
Hope this helps,
Howard

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was wanting to say it might work just as one is a Delta platform and the other is a D2xx even though it's still part of the delta platform

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TPMS Sensors for 2018

Looks like there's been another change for 2018. Please disregard TPMS PN in post above. I found two different PNs for the 2018, one has already been superceded (according to my dealer), so I bit the bullet and ordered them through the dealer at a significantly higher price. When they get here I will post the new PN.
I wish I knew a little more about these sensors. Unfortunately there seems to be several brands and I haven't been able to get a cross reference of PNs. This is complicated by GM's change for 2018. I know they operate at 315 Hz, but many do, and near as I can tell that's not the only criteria needed to match the specific vehicle.
I'll follow up when all parts get here,
Howard

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TPMS Sensor PN

The "New" PN for the 2018 Equinox senders, as supplied by my dealer, is 13516164. I hope they work with my "learn" tool when it comes time to put the Winter tires and wheels on.
Although there doesn't seem to be much interest, I hope my posts have helped some.
Howard

·
Registered
199 Posts
Back in the day 1960s. GM used the same oil filter on most models. Ford & Dodge used the same oil filters.
Up until Ford went metric Ford & Dodge wheels interchanged in most cases. GM had there sizes etc.
My point there was a day when many parts were the same beyond models but manufactures.

As a former mechanic if I had a dime for every time I asked that question of WHY can't things be more standard with vehicles I would be rich.

So if anyone ever figures out WHY almost every vehicle & years has to have its own oil filter, wheels, etc. please fill me in.

I'm grateful I can run the tires that came on my Equinox year around.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The "New" PN for the 2018 Equinox senders, as supplied by my dealer, is 13516164. I hope they work with my "learn" tool when it comes time to put the Winter tires and wheels on.
Although there doesn't seem to be much interest, I hope my posts have helped some.
Howard
You are doing excellent research that members in the snow regions of the country appreciate, I am sure.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If it matters, Chevy hasn't changed the Silverado bolt pattern in like 20 years. I'm not 100% sure on the current gen, but NBS and NNBS are all the same.

·
Registered
531 Posts
thanks for all the info. what i came up with cross referencing things on tire rack is anything that fits a 1st gen equinox will fit and also the buick verano... i’m also assuming the malibu is the same but didn’t check. the pn you listed for sensors appears to have been discontinued how much did they cost you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kastner03, If you are refering to the sensor PN in my 9/18 post, it's news to me. Every time I looked for the correct PN it seemed like the one I found had been superceeded. In the past (2016 Trax), I got the sensors online and paid $40-50 for four. For the 2018 Equinox I had to order them from the dealer and four cost me $160. I haven't put the tires/wheels on yet so I can't be sure they'll work and will respond to my learn tool. There might be some sensors online that I don't know about, but at least if these don't work, I can take them back to the dealer. Fortunately I have my own tire changer and balancer but still a PITA if I have to change the sensors. Winter's not far off. I'll post what I find when I put them on.
Howard

1 - 20 of 47 Posts