GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2018 GMC Terrain with 41,000 miles is burning oil, adding oil every two weeks, no leaks. Replaced PCV valves and spark plugs . . . still burning oil. Anyone have similar problem?

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
96 Posts
my 2018 GMC Terrain with 41,000 miles is burning oil, adding oil every two weeks, no leaks. Replaced PCV valves and spark plugs . . . still burning oil. Anyone have similar problem?
During my time on this forum, I cannot recall a single instance of high oil consumption on a 2018 Terrain or Equinox.

Is there some reason why you haven't brought it to a dealer for evaluation? Oil consumption to that degree would certainly qualify for service under the 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty, assuming of course, that it hasn't been abused.

·
Registered
781 Posts
How much oil are you adding each time? Are you using a dexos certified full synthetic?

There have been sporadic reports of oil consumption in the 1.5L engine when using synthetic blends. Full synthetic tends to significantly reduce oil consumption according to GM.

Some oil consumption is also considered normal by the automakers. Typically a quart every 1-2K miles. If you are adding a full quart or something every 2 weeks then that is a bit much unless you are driving a lot.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If it's a 1.5 there is a possibility of a cracked piston. Use your powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cracked piston? Is this a wide spread issue with the "new and improved" 4 banger GM is offering? If so maybe GM should stop making 4 bangers since it is obvious they do not know how. In the mid 2000s GM had a deal with Honda for V6 motors in Saturns that they screwed up after a few years. They need to make a deal with Honda or Toyota to buy 4 bangers since they know how to build them.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's why GM locked the computers on 1.5 motors. Little baby 1500cc turbo motor is at the max stock and tunes turning up the boost are detrimental to its life.

·
Registered
781 Posts
GM is installing the updated 1.5L LSD engine in Terrains and Equinoxes starting with the 2023 model year. According to GM, it has "enhanced piston design with PVD coating".

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,463 Posts
Buy an EV.

No more cracked Pistons.
No more slacked Timing Chains.
No more leaking Intake Gaskets
No more blown Rear Main Seals.
No more blown Head Gaskets.
No more Fuel Pumps (or trips to gas stations)
No more Catalytic Converters and Mufflers

But no more low purchase prices, either! LOL!

·
Registered
2010 GMC Terrain SLE
64 Posts
Buy an EV.

No more cracked Pistons.

And the price of replacing the batteries is more than the entire purchase price of some vehicles.

·
Registered
2010 GMC Terrain SLE
64 Posts
Naahhh, definitely a Toyota. Someone posted awhile back that if GM wanted to do the right thing, it would round up all the 2010s to 2013s since they all but admitted the 2.4s were bad engines in these years.
True. And I don't get that. The 2.4 was once a good engine. We had a 2006 HHR. No problems whatsoever with the engine. The person that purchased it from us has it well over 200K. Whatever GM did in the 'evolution' of that engine to the next generation is somewhat puzzling.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,463 Posts
True. And I don't get that. The 2.4 was once a good engine. We had a 2006 HHR. No problems whatsoever with the engine. The person that purchased it from us has it well over 200K. Whatever GM did in the 'evolution' of that engine to the next generation is somewhat puzzling.
I thought some here said it was the transition to a Direct-Injection engine?

My son is still driving my Dad’s 2008 Malibu with the 2.4L NON-DI engine up in New England. Only about 120,000 miles so far, but no problems with any “major mechanicals”

And regarding EV Battery Pack pricing ... last I heard it was running around $100/kWh. So, for the Bolt EV, with its 60 kWh Battery Pack, that would be ~$6,000.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

·
Registered
74 Posts
Buy an EV.

No more cracked Pistons.

I agree that you eliminate a lot of issues that you have with ICE, however you introduce a whole new set of problems with electrical issues that we all know are a pain in the ass to figure out and independent shops will not have the expertise to work on these which leaves us at the mercy of the dealer. As with the early model GDI engines, EV
Technology is still a work in progress. While I think we are headed in the right direction with EV technology, I will wait after getting screwed with early GDI technology on my 2012 Terrain 2.4.

·
Registered
2010 GMC Terrain SLE
64 Posts
I thought some here said it was the transition to a Direct-Injection engine?

My son is still driving my Dad’s 2008 Malibu with the 2.4L NON-DI engine up in New England. Only about 120,000 miles so far, but no problems with any “major mechanicals”

And regarding EV Battery Pack pricing ... last I heard it was running around $100/kWh. So, for the Bolt EV, with its 60 kWh Battery Pack, that would be ~$6,000.
Yeah our HHR was non GDI. From what I have read, battery replacement in a Tesla costs between $13,000 and $14,000. Replacing a Tesla battery in a Model S premium sedan can cost around $13,000-$20,000. I guess the good news is that they are supposed to last over 20 years.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Little known fact...Tesla uses a basic spin-on canister oil filter for the transmission and differential. Tesla will tell you it is a lifetime filter. Owners will tell you otherwise and have been changing them.

Ford Mach-E has a traditional radiator with coolant that must be changed religiously every 30,000 miles. Additionally Ford has a whole list of things that need to be checked every 6 months.

EVs aren't without their own specific maintenance requirements. Drivers are just exchanging potential ICE problems for potential EV problems.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
EV = Little DIY maintenance and repairs.
And just wait for the built in "maintenance messages" that pop up and step down power and performance unless taken in for service.
Not to mention proprietary software procedures to diagnose issues. No more OBD scanner to help with that. Any tampering with the controls system will likely "brick" the whole vehicle. And that's just for starters !
Yup . . . no more costly maintenance and repair problems. . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
How much oil are you adding each time? Are you using a dexos certified full synthetic?

There have been sporadic reports of oil consumption in the 1.5L engine when using synthetic blends. Full synthetic tends to significantly reduce oil consumption according to GM.

Some oil consumption is also considered normal by the automakers. Typically a quart every 1-2K miles. If you are adding a full quart or something every 2 weeks then that is a bit much unless you are driving a lot.
This makes a lot of sense... thanks for this

1 - 18 of 18 Posts