GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase new back in 2018 a rare Terrain Diesel. About a year ago at 60k miles, the turbo needed to be replaced. My car was in the shop for over 4 months. During the time in the shop, they lost some of the engine compartment plastic parts. To this day, they cannot find the plastic that goes in the engine compartment. WHAT I NEED IS A PICTURE OF THE DIESEL ENGINE COMPARTMENT. If anyone has this same car, could they please send me a few picture from under the hood. Thank you so much. This has been a nightmare.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Four months ! Crazy. I would have fought for a lemon law replacement.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The shop had your vehicle so they are liable for whatever were missing. They should replace them at no cost to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true, but GM didn’t make extra parts so they are gone forever! Now what do I do? I really need a picture of a complete engine compartment. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Seems hard to believe that no spare parts exist for your diesel engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems hard to believe that no spare parts exist for your diesel engine.
It was originally the Turbo (which took months for a dealer to release), but now it is all the plastic crap that goes on top of the engine that some shop sweeper must have thrown away. They didn't bother to take pictures of it before they took it apart. I'd like to know just how many of these cars (Diesel) were produced in 2018?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was originally the Turbo (which took months for a dealer to release), but now it is all the plastic crap that goes on top of the engine that some shop sweeper must have thrown away. They didn't bother to take pictures of it before they took it apart. I'd like to know just how many of these cars (Diesel) were produced in 2018?
As discussed, here are some images of the engine bay:
Engine Compartment 2.jpg
Engine Compartment 3.jpg
Engine Compartment.jpg
Engine Compartment 5.jpg
Engine Compartment 4.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! Can you also send a picture looking down at the radiator and engine, and one on the module just to the left of the that Orange colored cloth? Also, I'm interested in your AG diesel solutions box? What does it do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you! Can you also send a picture looking down at the radiator and engine, and one on the module just to the left of the that Orange colored cloth? Also, I'm interested in your AG diesel solutions box? What does it do?
Here are the pics requested:
Engine Compartment 6.jpg
Engine Compartment 7.jpg

That module on the side of the battery near the orange cable is the fuse and relay box ( 84582318 ). So as far as I can recall, the only cover that needed to be removed when I replaced my turbo was just the main engine cover that says 'Ecotec' on it. 55504751 is the part number and it appears to be available to order. (I still can't believe that someone just threw all of those parts away! SMDH..) In so far as the AG Diesel Solutions box, it's a bit of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short. So I'd been itching to get a tune for the Nox and had even scheduled an entire week at at a reputable company in Florida to leave the vehicle with them. They already had a tune for the engine in Europe, but their US division would need to make some changes to the programming due to our fuel pressure sensor: the European/Aisian/Austrailian models have a three pin connector while the US model has four. I'd been trying to leave the vehicle with them for over 8 months but between them moving and then having to close twice due to Covid, I put that solution on the backburner until the summer. In the meantime, I did some further research and found that the Colorado's 2.8 diesel utilizes the same fuel pressure switch that ours does (the 6.6 does as well, but it's a V8). So my 'logic' (LOL) dictated that the AG Diesel Solutions Module would work on the Equinox since it interprets and manipulates the information from the switch to provide more fuel, hence more power, even though their catalog doesn't list it as a fit for our vehicle. Suffice it to say, it does indeed work. However, the results are much less than I'd anticipated. The kit is supposed to provide 'up to' an additional +45hp on the 2.8L. I was expecting maybe half of that but from my butt dyno and subsequently with Torque App, I got an additional 15-17hp and 20-25lb-ft of torque. There are three different performance settings of which only the first two actually benefitted performance. The highest setting basically bogged the engine down, dumping WAYYY too much fuel for the engine to make more power. So now I'm just waiting until the summer to be able to reinstall my big turbo and get an actual tune. Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 diesel Equinox which I tow behind a motorhome. I bought the diesel because I thought it would have longevity. Would like to get 200 K miles out of it. I noticed that the engine came from Hungary. I have not had any issues with it other than the Key Fob batteries running down. The dealer told me that my external tire pressure monitoring system (reads inside the RV) and the key fobs were on the same frequency. Don't know if true but I take the TPMS off except when actually towing and no problems since. It is discouraging to hear major engine problems cropping up at 60K miles. I hope this is a "one of" experience and not indicative of the engines expected reliability. I did not buy an extended warranty. I cannot believe the dealer threw out the parts. I also would check into the lemon laws in your state. Four months is ridiculous. They should offer to replace the engine (if they produced any spares).
Texas Red
2018 diesel Equinox Premium

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Th
Here are the pics requested:
View attachment 17560 View attachment 17561
That module on the side of the battery near the orange cable is the fuse and relay box ( 84582318 ). So as far as I can recall, the only cover that needed to be removed when I replaced my turbo was just the main engine cover that says 'Ecotec' on it. 55504751 is the part number and it appears to be available to order. (I still can't believe that someone just threw all of those parts away! SMDH..) In so far as the AG Diesel Solutions box, it's a bit of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short. So I'd been itching to get a tune for the Nox and had even scheduled an entire week at at a reputable company in Florida to leave the vehicle with them. They already had a tune for the engine in Europe, but their US division would need to make some changes to the programming due to our fuel pressure sensor: the European/Aisian/Austrailian models have a three pin connector while the US model has four. I'd been trying to leave the vehicle with them for over 8 months but between them moving and then having to close twice due to Covid, I put that solution on the backburner until the summer. In the meantime, I did some further research and found that the Colorado's 2.8 diesel utilizes the same fuel pressure switch that ours does (the 6.6 does as well, but it's a V8). So my 'logic' (LOL) dictated that the AG Diesel Solutions Module would work on the Equinox since it interprets and manipulates the information from the switch to provide more fuel, hence more power, even though their catalog doesn't list it as a fit for our vehicle. Suffice it to say, it does indeed work. However, the results are much less than I'd anticipated. The kit is supposed to provide 'up to' an additional +45hp on the 2.8L. I was expecting maybe half of that but from my butt dyno and subsequently with Torque App, I got an additional 15-17hp and 20-25lb-ft of torque. There are three different performance settings of which only the first two actually benefitted performance. The highest setting basically bogged the engine down, dumping WAYYY too much fuel for the engine to make more power. So now I'm just waiting until the summer to be able to reinstall my big turbo and get an actual tune. Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you for the reply. I know it took time to put on that down for me. I would like to also tune my diesel. I think it is a good car, just not many were made. (Not sure how many were even produced?) I plan on keeping it for a long time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2018 diesel Equinox which I tow behind a motorhome. I bought the diesel because I thought it would have longevity. Would like to get 200 K miles out of it. I noticed that the engine came from Hungary. I have not had any issues with it other than the Key Fob batteries running down. The dealer told me that my external tire pressure monitoring system (reads inside the RV) and the key fobs were on the same frequency. Don't know if true but I take the TPMS off except when actually towing and no problems since. It is discouraging to hear major engine problems cropping up at 60K miles. I hope this is a "one of" experience and not indicative of the engines expected reliability. I did not buy an extended warranty. I cannot believe the dealer threw out the parts. I also would check into the lemon laws in your state. Four months is ridiculous. They should offer to replace the engine (if they produced any spares).
Texas Red
2018 diesel Equinox Premium
I'm in Texas too! I bought the vehicle in Huntsville. I'm sure you will get 200k out of the car. I have 86k now. I love the gas mileage! The turbo is what went out on my car the ultimately determined. It took forever to convince a dealer to release the parts, because they were afraid they might need them too, and wouldn't be able to obtain them either. Yes the parts go lost or thrown out. They had the car for 4-5 months. BTW the rear hatchback struts have gone out. If your go out, try to buy them yourself. Dealer is charging warranty company $750 for those installed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in Texas too! I bought the vehicle in Huntsville. I'm sure you will get 200k out of the car. I have 86k now. I love the gas mileage! The turbo is what went out on my car the ultimately determined. It took forever to convince a dealer to release the parts, because they were afraid they might need them too, and wouldn't be able to obtain them either. Yes the parts go lost or thrown out. They had the car for 4-5 months. BTW the rear hatchback struts have gone out. If your go out, try to buy them yourself. Dealer is charging warranty company $750 for those installed.
Mr. Bob: Can you also take a picture of your engine compartment? I need to compare mine with a couple of them. I need a picture from the grill to the Eco Tech cover please. If it is easier to text it to me. I'll give you my number.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts