GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to do an oil change and noticed afterward that the 5W-30 oil I had purchased was Dexos 1 Gen 2. Will this affect my engine and what oil do you recommend from personal experience for this vehicle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here is a list of licensed dexos2 oils. They are not as easy to find on the shelf as the dexos1 oils.

As far as running the dexos1 oil, I wouldn't go too long on it before draining and refilling with dexos2 since the dexos2 is spec'ed for use in diesels. Also might be a good idea to install a new filter when you drain and refill with the dexos2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a list of licensed dexos2 oils. They are not as easy to find on the shelf as the dexos1 oils.

As far as running the dexos1 oil, I wouldn't go too long on it before draining and refilling with dexos2 since the dexos2 is spec'ed for use in diesels. Also might be a good idea to install a new filter when you drain and refill with the dexos2.
I had to get an oil change in quick since I was traveling and I was surprised how many places I went to didn’t have what I needed, even Valvoline or jiffy lube didn’t have the right oil and were worried about damaging my engine. Changing oil shouldn’t be this complicated.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've recently switched from Royal Purple 5W30 to Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. The lower ash content (supposedly) helps to reduce the amount of soot accumulation in the DPF. It's typically about $10.00 per quart at Advance Auto. Check online as I've been able to apply some coupons the last two times I purchased it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Most of the Dexos 1 second gen can be confusing but they all have a small label stating it is for gasoline engines. Avoid those. Diesel engines operates at higher pressure (so oil for such engines are formulated for that). so you can use the same viscosity label made for a diesel engine on a gasoline engine but not vice versa.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pennzoil euro sucks in the cold...I dumped it after 4k. Ran fine in the summer tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts