GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

We have an '18 Nox Premier with the factory 19" rims... Factory tire size is 235/50/19 which has an outside dia. of 28.3" and a sectional width of 9.6" I would like to go to a 225/55/19 which have an OD of 28.8" and a sectional width of 9.2". I realize I might see some reduced lateral grip due to the smaller width but, it still fits on the rim per the spec, my concern is the extra 1/2" of dia. but, it only takes away 1/4" of clearance so am I making much to do about nothing? Anybody tried that size??

Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know it will negatively affect anything.

A couple of things to consider: Your speedometer will be off a little (28.8/28.3*60= 61.06). The faster you go, the greater the error. The new ratio may be off enough to affect ABS and StabiliTrak.

Cosmetically, I prefer the wider tire on a narrower wheel. Putting the narrower tire on will look a little odd at first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know it will negatively affect anything.

A couple of things to consider: Your speedometer will be off a little (28.8/28.3*60= 61.06). The faster you go, the greater the error. The new ratio may be off enough to affect ABS and StabiliTrak.

Cosmetically, I prefer the wider tire on a narrower wheel. Putting the narrower tire on will look a little odd at first.
Thanks for your feedback! I oversized the tires on my 2016 Silverado and my speedo is off a bit but, I only went up about 1" in OD, obviously there is a TON more clearance on a pickup truck as the suspension parts aren't on top of the wheel/tire at all.

I wound up sticking with the stock size, I found an equally good deal on what seems to be an even better tire.

I was looking at the taller/narrower BFG Advantage TA SUV tire which had good reviews and was going to come in around $190 per tire but, found Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires in the stock size for $182 each after mail in rebate and they're rated even better than the BFG's...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts