GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a 2018 Equinox with about 85k miles on it. It has the 1.6L Turbo Diesel in it. Service records are available and it's always been dealer maintained and oil changes on time.

How reliable are these? I'd like to get 250k miles total out of it (i.e. put about 165k on it myself).

Thoughts? anything I should watch for?

I usually maintain my vehicles and equipment myself. If I don't do that on this vehicle what are the most common failures and costs associated with them? What additional maintenance does this vehicle require of its gas equivalent?

I've read that this engine was discontinued by GM in the US due to poor sales. Does anyone know how many were produced with this engine and if I should shy away from it for lack of parts availability or high parts costs associated with low availability etc.?

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Maybe a diesel will outlive a gas engone, but from day to day operating costs, in my area, diesel does not beat my 1.5L gas engine. I get 34 mpg highway, and diesel fuel costs about 25% more than regular gas. Plus diesel has additional costs such fuel filter, and DEF. Also, i am not sure that the resale of a diesel will be that good, but sounds like that is not a factor for you.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The engine was made by erstwhile GM Europe (Opel) in Hungary and has been in use since 2013 or so
GM Medium Diesel engine - Wikipedia . After GM sold Opel i thought they were buying the engines from Opel for the US models. Opel still exists and i suspect they still make the engine.
That vehicle of yours has more miles than mine, just crossing 35 K miles now ...so can't say if it will go to 250K miles... You should check the cruze forums as the same engine was there in the cruze since 2015 ...a couple of years before the Nox.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Are the newer diesel emission devices going to challenge engine longevity?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would expect an easy 200k miles and i do out of mine. I do not use the oil life monitor oil change intervals 5. something quart system is just to small for such a high soot load enviroment because of the EGR system.
I do mine at 4000 if its mostly city and 5000 highway miles
Fuel usage I easly get 32-34 in city driving, a recent adventure roadtrip from DSM to Boise to Tampa worst was 31 in mountains and such best so far I-70 CO to STL mild west tailwind was 42.8 hand calculated. That said we did not start getting this what i consider qreat fuel economey until about 20k on the clock now at 53k. As far as the regen cycles I never have really noticed them unless I have the torque pro hooked up and monitoring the three EGT sensors and the temps climb to the 900+ range regular crusing temps vary from 400 to 575 deg. Would love to do the delete on this to see what the economey would jump to but EPA has recently come down hard on the folks that tune & build the delete kits so no joy there.....

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
15 Posts
I have 54K on mine and completed 2 years of ownership. I live in the DC/MD Metro area, which reportedly is the 2nd worst congested area in the country. I do my best to drive steady. Due to the pandemic and being temporarily laid off, my driven miles this year will be a little less. I'm averaging the low-mid 30s in the high heat we've been experiencing lately, eating in the car ordering drive thru at different times of the week. On the highway, I can easily get over 40 mpg. I pay $1.99 for diesel at Sams Club, which is not bad at all. I'm very happy with my Equinox Diesel, so far.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is nothing inherently wrong with this diesel engine, in fact gm should have had it 10 years earlier. Diesel's main issue is the emission system and that is usually not associated with the Diesel engine itself only the forced add on. Diesels today are what gas engines went through in the 70's getting smothered with emission controls. If the vehicle is what you want and you like a great diesel engine then do your homework and buy it. While this is a great motor, it still will have to deal with issues that all diesels in general have to contend with. Higher outlay, higher maintenance, and lack of facilities to repair them. Finally, as some one has already chimed in, the difference between gas and diesel is very small today. Good luck with finding one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts