GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing for a 3K mi road trip and thought it would be a good idea to change the transmission fluid prior to the trip. If any of you have mileage anywhere near mine (40K), I’d strongly suggest changing your fluid ASAP. I’ve never seen fluid this dark with this amount of mileage on it. I’m going to drain and fill it again upon my return. It’s a pretty easy job to do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What is the last pic of? Do you have the 6 speed or 9 speed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have changed the fluid in our 2017 Terrain at 10000 20000 and 30000 miles. changed it out at 10000 and it was very dark and has been every time ive changed it.i have read this is common and not an issue. now at 32000 miles

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got my 14 with 80K on it and changed it right away. I'd say it was dark but not smelly or horrible. Of course I don't have a clue what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the last pic of? Do you have the 6 speed or 9 speed?
That last pic is a piece of white paper dipped in the fluid. I was trying to see if the fluid was red still or if my eyes were playing tricks on me since the drain pan was black. Unfortunately, they were not. LOL!

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Sorry. Last pic is where I’d removed the two bolts that held the fuse panel in place to access the fill hole at the top of the transmission. This is the 6 speed 6T45 as my Nox is the 1.6 diesel.
Wow. . that trans fluid is black. You may be able to access the fill port using a long neck funnel and/or a short piece of tubing so as not to have to remove fuse box bolts.

Reactions: Flüstern Deez

·
Registered
559 Posts
My '16 was way darker than I like at 40k when I changed it. I too will go to a shorter interval.
Don't forget the transfer case fluid if your AWD, mine looked fine when I did it along with the trans..
Severe service schedule is your friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts