GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing for a 3K mi road trip and thought it would be a good idea to change the transmission fluid prior to the trip. If any of you have mileage anywhere near mine (40K), I’d strongly suggest changing your fluid ASAP. I’ve never seen fluid this dark with this amount of mileage on it. I’m going to drain and fill it again upon my return. It’s a pretty easy job to do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What is the last pic of? Do you have the 6 speed or 9 speed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have changed the fluid in our 2017 Terrain at 10000 20000 and 30000 miles. changed it out at 10000 and it was very dark and has been every time ive changed it.i have read this is common and not an issue. now at 32000 miles

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got my 14 with 80K on it and changed it right away. I'd say it was dark but not smelly or horrible. Of course I don't have a clue what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That last pic is a piece of white paper dipped in the fluid. I was trying to see if the fluid was red still or if my eyes were playing tricks on me since the drain pan was black. Unfortunately, they were not. LOL!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry. Last pic is where I’d removed the two bolts that held the fuse panel in place to access the fill hole at the top of the transmission. This is the 6 speed 6T45 as my Nox is the 1.6 diesel.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Sorry. Last pic is where I’d removed the two bolts that held the fuse panel in place to access the fill hole at the top of the transmission. This is the 6 speed 6T45 as my Nox is the 1.6 diesel.
Wow. . that trans fluid is black. You may be able to access the fill port using a long neck funnel and/or a short piece of tubing so as not to have to remove fuse box bolts.

Reactions: Flüstern Deez

·
Registered
692 Posts
My '16 was way darker than I like at 40k when I changed it. I too will go to a shorter interval.
Don't forget the transfer case fluid if your AWD, mine looked fine when I did it along with the trans..
Severe service schedule is your friend.

Reactions: Flüstern Deez

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
20 Posts
I have the '18 Equinox TD with the 6 speed Auto and 53K miles. I'm not an auto diy-er. After seeing your post, I wanted to get the BG Trans Flush. The dealer charges way too much. I'm attempting to have the work done at another shop. They are explaining to me that with the BG flush and their machine, they suck out EVERYTHING, including what is in the filter. This negates the replacement of the filter. I had asked about getting a new filter being new one is put in and that is what they said. Now, the owner's manual clearly says DEXRON 6, not synthetic. The pro shop says I have and should bring SYNTHETIC and 17 (seventeen) quarts of it. I don't see the fluid capacity in my owner's manual to verify. Given the cheaper price difference buying the fluid online vs via the dealer makes going synthetic more feasible for me. But, is it overkill if I'm going to be doing this flush every 50K or so? On top of that, I see different product numbers on the AC Delco Trans fluid. I see cheaper Synthetic AC Delco Tran Fluid but it has a 2016 discontinue date. My thinking is its older fluid whose formulation is different. Am I safe buying the OLDER discontinued Synthetic Fluid? Or, buy the newer more expensive one. I'm totally confused. With conventional AC Delco Dexron, I see a $7.49/qt (Walmart.com..10 at max) price vs $9.30/qt at my dealer. On the internet, there are a few Dexon 6 conventional fluids to choose from. HELP!

On RockAuto.com, they've got Synthetic Dexros 6 for only $4.14/qt vs $6.51 for conventional. Now, does it make sense for the Syn to be cheaper than Conventional?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the '18 Equinox TD with the 6 speed Auto and 53K miles. I'm not an auto diy-er. After seeing your post, I wanted to get the BG Trans Flush. The dealer charges way too much. I'm attempting to have the work done at another shop. They are explaining to me that with the BG flush and their machine, they suck out EVERYTHING, including what is in the filter. This negates the replacement of the filter. I had asked about getting a new filter being new one is put in and that is what they said. Now, the owner's manual clearly says DEXRON 6, not synthetic. The pro shop says I have and should bring SYNTHETIC and 17 (seventeen) quarts of it. I don't see the fluid capacity in my owner's manual to verify. Given the cheaper price difference buying the fluid online vs via the dealer makes going synthetic more feasible for me. But, is it overkill if I'm going to be doing this flush every 50K or so? On top of that, I see different product numbers on the AC Delco Trans fluid. I see cheaper Synthetic AC Delco Tran Fluid but it has a 2016 discontinue date. My thinking is its older fluid whose formulation is different. Am I safe buying the OLDER discontinued Synthetic Fluid? Or, buy the newer more expensive one. I'm totally confused. With conventional AC Delco Dexron, I see a $7.49/qt (Walmart.com..10 at max) price vs $9.30/qt at my dealer. On the internet, there are a few Dexon 6 conventional fluids to choose from. HELP!

On RockAuto.com, they've got Synthetic Dexros 6 for only $4.14/qt vs $6.51 for conventional. Now, does it make sense for the Syn to be cheaper than Conventional?
I would not let any use a machine to suck the fluid out. A drain and refill a couple times is much better.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Strange that the shop wants you to bring 17 qts. of fluid.
Maybe they give it a second rinse to get all the BG cleaner out.

The 6T45 will take 9 qts. for an overhaul with a dry converter.
Maximum 6.3 qts, for drain and refill.
The cooler and valve body cover might be a little different with a diesel but not that much different.
Doing the back to back drain and refill with a full synthetic is all you need.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The part number for the quart size bottles of GM DEXRON-VI Full Synthetic is 88865549. The shop wants you to bring 17 quarts because this is what the BG flush machine requires.

As rednox301 says, all you need is a back to back drain and refill with the full synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've been using Amalie Dex VI full synth. in my fleet for years. Online purchase by the case beats local store prices IF they even have a full synth. on the shelf.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any special procedure for this? Or just drain it and fill from the dipstick?

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you have the cap with dipstick attached like my '16 then yes just drain and refill through there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts