GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a trick in keeping an Equinox on in Accessory mode. So far, even with the Fob in the car, after a few minutes, The Accessory mode shuts off.

Why would I want it to stay on? To use the host spot without the engine running. I have a battery charger so the battery level is not a problem.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Anybody know a trick in keeping an Equinox on in Accessory mode. So far, even with the Fob in the car, after a few minutes, The Accessory mode shuts off.

I take it you want Accessory to stay on for a few hours while you are not in the car?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I solved my problem. Just putting the car into Accessory mode will time out in 10 minutes when the Retained Accessory Power times out.

The trick is to leave the car via the passenger door. The driver's door will terminate the Retained Accessory Power when it is opened. The passenger door doesn't.

I guess everyone missed that I have a battery charger on the car.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I guess everyone missed that I have a battery charger on the car.
I saw that and was asking how long you were leaving the car in Accessory.
Keep in mind if you run the battery flat on a regular basis, you will shorten the battery life.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I solved my problem. Just putting the car into Accessory mode will time out in 10 minutes when the Retained Accessory Power times out.

The trick is to leave the car via the passenger door.

Ahh, to be young and limber, no way that I could do that now, legs too long I guess, in fact in my younger days I never even attempted that move with a console and 4-spd shifter in the way.

·
Registered
531 Posts

The trick is to leave the car via the passenger door.

Ahh, to be young and limber, no way that I could do that now, legs too long I guess, in fact in my younger days I never even attempted that move with a console and 4-spd shifter in the way.

this leaves the radio on but still kills power to the windows and other accessories after about 10 mins

hold down the start button without pressing the brake for like 15-30 seconds not sure how long really but it puts it into “service mode” all power is left on in this mode. just be careful because it will never shut itself off and can run the battery dead. just push the button again to exit the mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just tried it for an hour. The battery charger eliminates the battery issue.

You can put the car into Retained Accessory Power mode from the passenger seat. Just reach over and hit the Start button, no need to push on the Brake pedal.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just tried it for an hour. The battery charger eliminates the battery issue.

You can put the car into Retained Accessory Power mode from the passenger seat. Just reach over and hit the Start button, no need to push on the Brake pedal.

this doesn’t work on mine push the start button and don’t open any doors and it still times out after about 10 mins all the gauges and radio turn off and the dome light comes on briefly

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps the difference is that I had a battery charger attached. The Retained Accessory Power will drop if the battery voltage gets to a certain point.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Perhaps the difference is that I had a battery charger attached. The Retained Accessory Power will drop if the battery voltage gets to a certain point.

could be, ive left it on for over a half hour with the way i’ve suggested it and never had a problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could be, ive left it on for over a half hour with the way i’ve suggested it and never had a problem
Since we are leaving the ignition on to run the LTE Hotspot, without a battery charger, you can run the battery down.

If fact, the first battery charge we used was rated at 3.5 amp charge could not keep up with the power usage of the LTE. We got a bigger charger.

Learning about the Service Mode was a big help. Service Mode is where you hold the Start button in for more that 5 seconds without the foot on the brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Why would I want it to stay on? To use the host spot without the engine running. I have a battery charger so the battery level is not a problem.
I would like to tow our 2018 Equinox four wheels down and to do so we have to put the ignition in accessory and leave it there. As it is a push button start, there is no 'turning the ignition to accessory' so this may have answered my question. Hit the push to start from the passenger side without touching the brake pedal and exit via the passenger door. And turn off all accessories so the battery doesn't drain. I hope this works. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would like to tow our 2018 Equinox four wheels down and to do so we have to put the ignition in accessory and leave it there. As it is a push button start, there is no 'turning the ignition to accessory' so this may have answered my question. Hit the push to start from the passenger side without touching the brake pedal and exit via the passenger door. And turn off all accessories so the battery doesn't drain. I hope this works. Thanks.
That is the procedure in the Owners Manual for flat towing a.k.a. "four down". You can do it from the driver's side because I do on my 2020, and the car must be in Neutral before you tap the button. The yellow light on the pushbutton must be lit after you tap it. The car will "bing" for 30 minutes and tell you to switch to Park. Ignore that part. :)

Be darn certain your engine/transmission combination can be flat towed per the Owners Manual. For only the 2018, not all combos are flat towable. I think it's mainly the 2.0L/9-speed that cannot be flat towed but the Owners Manual will say for certain.

You MUST have an adequate battery charge line. The Equinox pulls almost 8 amps from the battery when configured for flat towing. That is a LOT of current, far more than other cars. If you do not have a adequate charge line your battery will go dead in a few hours, even if you turn all accessories and the auto headlights off.

The car must be run for five minutes prior to towing it and also at every "fuel stop" and at the end of the towing day with a maximum towing speed of 65 MPH. The issue seems to be cooling air across the transmission. I also start it for five minutes at each rest area stop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts