GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the roof side rails be added to the 2018 Equinox if it does not have them? I'm talking about the part that attaches to the vehicle (NOT the cross rails). My wife and I both think they really adds to the overall appearance of the vehicle. The part circled in blue in the picture.

If they can be added, any idea on the cost?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
They should be.

plenty of folks who have added these OR removed them from previous SUVs.

At the moment , I didnt see these online.... being a 2018-- parts catalogs still being updated...

but im going to say-- 90% sure you can.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Roof Rack Cross Rails

Add function and style to the factory roof rack of your vehicle with this Roof Rack Cross Rail Package in Black with Black end caps. These removable cross rails attach to the roof-mounted luggage rack side rails on the vehicle and are the base for mounting other cargo management accessories. Roof Rack Cross Rail Package, Black

Roof Rack Cross Rails

Add function and style to the factory roof rack of your vehicle with this Roof Rack Cross Rail Package in Black with Black end caps. These removable cross rails attach directly to pads mounted to the vehicle roof and are the base for mounting other cargo management accessories. Roof Rack Cross Rail Package, Black

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roof Rack Cross Rails

Add function and style to the factory roof rack of your vehicle with this Roof Rack Cross Rail Package in Black with Black end caps. These removable cross rails attach to the roof-mounted luggage rack side rails on the vehicle and are the base for mounting other cargo management accessories. Roof Rack Cross Rail Package, Black

Roof Rack Cross Rails

Add function and style to the factory roof rack of your vehicle with this Roof Rack Cross Rail Package in Black with Black end caps. These removable cross rails attach directly to pads mounted to the vehicle roof and are the base for mounting other cargo management accessories. Roof Rack Cross Rail Package, Black
Those are both the cross rails correct? Why are there two different part numbers?

These parts seem to be what I'm looking for.
#84202850 rail
#84202849 rail
6#11570144 nut

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
These removable cross rails attach to the roof-mounted luggage rack side rails on the vehicle and are the base for mounting other cargo management accessories. Roof Rack Cross Rail Package, Black

These removable cross rails attach directly to pads mounted to the vehicle roof and are the base for mounting other cargo management accessories. Roof Rack Cross Rail Package, Black

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, now I see that 84202844 mounts to the side rails (if you have them) and 84252905 mount directly to the vehicle if you do NOT have the side rails. Truthfully, I don't think we would ever even want the cross rails; we want the side rails purely for aesthetic reasons. :)

Just had a salesman confirm "Those side rails could be added to the vehicle. I dont see them being very expensive. I would think somewhere around $500-$600."

·
Registered
908 Posts
Oh, now I see that 84202844 mounts to the side rails (if you have them) and 84252905 mount directly to the vehicle if you do NOT have the side rails. Truthfully, I don't think we would ever even want the cross rails; we want the side rails purely for aesthetic reasons. :)

Just had a salesman confirm "Those side rails could be added to the vehicle. I dont see them being very expensive. I would think somewhere around $500-$600."
...you might be in for a surprise then... to add the rails to the '10-'17 Equinox was over $900 retail and gmpartsdirect was still over $700... I was one of the ones that actually removed my rails from my '15 and got like $500 for them on eBay...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had I been informed that without ordering the Sun Roof on my 2018'Equinox the vehicle would not have the roof rack side rails, I would have had the sun roof included. The GM parts department told me that there are no roof rails that can now be installed. (I do not want the cross rails). I've seen after market roof rails online. Has anyone seen and have information about this product?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Had I been informed that without ordering the Sun Roof on my 2018'Equinox the vehicle would not have the roof rack side rails, I would have had the sun roof included

agreed ......

#84202850 rail
#84202849 rail
12#11570144 nut

lol , not agreed : The GM parts department told me that there are no roof rails that can now be installed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
lol dont believe anyone from the department at the dealership. Theyre given a few cheap t shirts with their name sown onto them and make their 10$ an hour to walk back and forth to the coffee machine all day. They are useless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
has anyone installed roof rails on a 2018 equinox? if so, would you please tell us the source, what came in the package, and how much it cost. i helped a guy install rails on his honda and there were nuts and washers, end caps, etc. lots of pieces besides the rails themselves. i would hate to buy the rails and find out there were other parts not included. thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Equinox that came without roof rails but does have pre-drilled (or so I thought) places on the roof for the side rails to be installed later on. What I have learned is that if I want side rails, the only option GM offers is a set of rails that DO NOT fit into the pre-drilled locations. Rather, the rails have to be installed in locations that require new holes to be drilled elsewhere on the roof. This was a surprise to me and to my dealer. I can get cross bars that do fit into the pre-drilled locations (these are currently covered by caps) but they are unsightly and add nothing to the vehicle's aesthetics. For the life of me, I cannot understand why GM would have engineered the vehicle this way. I hope that there is some enterprising third party that will make available stylish side rails that will fit into the pre-drilled locations. If so, the product will probably be a best seller.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I have a 2018 Equinox that came without roof rails but does have pre-drilled (or so I thought) places on the roof for the side rails to be installed later on. What I have learned is that if I want side rails, the only option GM offers is a set of rails that DO NOT fit into the pre-drilled locations. Rather, the rails have to be installed in locations that require new holes to be drilled elsewhere on the roof. This was a surprise to me and to my dealer. I can get cross bars that do fit into the pre-drilled locations (these are currently covered by caps) but they are unsightly.
Are you saying the cross rails would bolt directly to the roof without the side rails? That’s what it sounds like you’ve described...

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Equinox Cross Rail Options

Are you saying the cross rails would bolt directly to the roof without the side rails? That’s what it sounds like you’ve described...
Only if you have the G63 RPO Code which provides the Roof Cross Rail prep pads. And these are only standard on the 1LT Models. The following links show images of the different options.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/exterior/2018-equinox-roof-rack-cross-rail-package-black-g63/84252905-p-92297117.html

G63 (Roof Cross Rail Prep Pads):
1LT Models: Standard G63 but can be ordered with Optional Upgrade to V2P at the time of vehicle ordering.
2LT, 3LT and Premier Models: NOT available as these models have V2P standard.
L and LS Models: NOT Available

The other option, V2P RPO Code, is for Equinox models with the side rails in chrome. This cross rail kit attaches to the side rails for mounting.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/exterior/2018-equinox-roof-rack-cross-rail-package-black-v2p/84202844-p-92297116.html

V2P (Luggage Rack Side Rails):
2LT, 3LT and Premier Models: Standard
1LT Models: Optional (during vehicle ordering)
L and LS Models: NOT Available

As you can see, the L and LS series do not offer a roof top storage option from GM at this time. This may change beyond 2018. We've looked at adding the factory side rails to the L, LS and LT (if not optioned during ordering) and you would be required to drill holes in the roof. Plus, there is NO indication that the additional structural support in for these side rails are present on these models.

Hope this helps understand the current Chevrolet Accessory Options for the 2018 Equinox. If you're not happy about this, please don't shoot the messenger. :)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Huh! I like that idea with the pads. It's a cleaner look; you can just bolt the cross rails on when you need them, and you don't have those long side rails permanently up there blocking rain water flow, catching dirt, and just making it harder to clean.

But how are those pads attached to the roof? Are the anti-roof-rack customers still going to be able to rip even these "pads" off their roofs, or are they welded down? I'm assuming that single Torx fastener in the center is just holding down the black plastic trim cover?

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bill13 has got it right. We just picked up our 2nd 2018. We've had a 1.5 Premier for about 6 months now and love it. The Premier comes with the SIDE rails. We picked up an LT diesel a couple of days ago and I inquired about adding the side rails since I noticed the rectangular plugs in the roof. There are two types of rails available as options. BOTH are CROSS rails. One set is made to clamp onto the factory side rails, (as on the Premier), the other set of cross rails are meant to be attached after removing the roof plugs and are cross rails only. My assumption was that the side rails could be added and attached in place of the plugs, but when the two vehicles are parked side by side in the garage it's easy to see the the side rails are attached in a completely different position.
Howard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts