GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
.... You the think they Would have tested all this at the factory.
They don't employ enough folks to perform a system test on each vehicle as it rolls off the line. If they did, you wouldn't be able to afford the vehicle. They depend on us--the consumer--to do the product testing and return to the dealer for warranty repair.

The breakdown in this approach is not engineering quality into the product from the design stage; instead they have engineered for profitability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sept 26 2017 Update

So after 4 visits I'm told this is normal for the 2018. It has thermal protection to protect the sunroof from overheating if it is cycled too frequently.

My frustration is I am told this is in the tech service manual. If this is the case why was this not the first diagnosis. Why did it take 4 vists over the timeframe of a month and the install of a new sunroof motor that was not needed.

I didn't even get a simple "sorry we wasted your time."

I've attached a snap of the paperwork showing the comments.

Im debating if I should write the service manager or go back to GM customer care. I know its not an end of the world situation but man it makes me mad I wasted so much time at the dealership.

(I have no idea why the picture is uploading upside down)
hello,
so at the end of the day.. they didnt fix your sunroof. Are you still having issues? Mine is with the sunshade. It will close but then won't close or open. They have tried fixing it 3 times. only 1,000 miles had it for less than 2 months. I am hoping i can find someone who has had this issue fixed so their dealership can speak with mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2018 equinox had it for 4 weeks sunroof motor won't work in the shop for 7 weeks have been calling GM for 7 weeks am still waiting for them to call me back. Never buy a GM vehicle again.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I bought a 2018 equinox had it for 4 weeks sunroof motor won't work in the shop for 7 weeks have been calling GM for 7 weeks am still waiting for them to call me back. Never buy a GM vehicle again.

Lemon Law ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I suspect this is a troll.

Because 7 weeks to replace a sunroof motor and or guiding rails etc sounds implausible and in most states that would qualify as lemon.

Unless the parts are coming on horse/mule back along the Camino Real from Mexico City like the olden days.

·
Banned
99 Posts

Because 7 weeks to replace a sunroof motor and or guiding rails etc sounds implausible and in most states that would qualify as lemon.

Unless the parts are coming on horse/mule back along the Camino Real from Mexico City like the olden days.
and they certainly would not hold the vehicle in the shop for 7 weeks for an Aesthetic feature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
and they certainly would not hold the vehicle in the shop for 7 weeks for an Aesthetic feature.

Update on "BREN" response.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL. My car has been in the shop since May 21, 2018 and today is 8/16/2018. the dealership still hasn't fixed it and GM is not doing anything to help me. They are only giving me $3,500 trade in assistance when my car was 5 weeks old when I took it in.
I am not doing lemon law because at this point, lemon law will take alot longer and ALOT more money. By the time we settle, if they tell me to trade cars I will have to pay for a newer model because they aren't making 2018's anymore. GM was going to start a "buyback option" but they will try to fix it for a few more months. They literally replaced everything. At this point, my only option is to trade out. It sucks because sunroof is something I want in my car. But.. I'll take butt coolers over sunroof..

·
Registered
10 Posts

We are not filing lemon law because we were hoping that GM would do the right thing. I've talked to some lawyers and they say that I will spend more money going to court and it would take months. Unfortunately I do not have an extra car to drive so if I say lemon law then I get the rental I have taken away from me. My dealership is willing to trade me out but in the end I still have to pay because GM is not assisting. They are only giving me $3,500 trade in allowance for a car that had less than 1,000 miles and only 5 weeks old when I took it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty stupid reason to not buy a brand.
The reason to NOT buy a brand is because their customer service SUCKS. The girl in-charge of my case was out of town for 2 weeks on "emergency leave". It took a week of me calling everyday (NOT JOKING) about 5 times a day and nobody was able to tell me that the girl was out on emergency leave. I talked to someone different every time. Finally around the 5th day calling someone was able to tell me that she is out of the office without a date of return. I can only talk to one person, and not even her supervisor and it takes at least a week to get a simple answer from them. They say they care about their customers but I can clearly tell that they dont.

·
Registered
672 Posts
We are not filing lemon law because we were hoping that GM would do the right thing. I've talked to some lawyers and they say that I will spend more money going to court and it would take months. Unfortunately I do not have an extra car to drive so if I say lemon law then I get the rental I have taken away from me. My dealership is willing to trade me out but in the end I still have to pay because GM is not assisting. They are only giving me $3,500 trade in allowance for a car that had less than 1,000 miles and only 5 weeks old when I took it in.

Something is not adding up ...They have given you a rental car for 3 months and counting ..even at $25 per day rental it comes to $2250 and yet they won't buy it back out at near full price.
Then that dealership must be dumbo...drive the rental car for another year or two like that then take back your car with no mileage on it but non-functioning moonroof screen....you'll be better off than they bought it back full price !

·
Registered
34 Posts
September 22nd Update :

Still not fixed!!! Shop replaced the sunroof motor and released the vehicle to me as operating. I drove home and attempted to cycle the sunroof..on the third cycle it froze closed again. I called the dealership and I am bringing it back Tuesday.

While its not a major issue that affects the operation of the vehicle.. it should work.

This will now be my 4th time returning to the dealership for the same problem.

I'm going to call GM customer care as well to make them aware of this issue. There needs to be some reparations for this.
I doubt that GM can really satisfy you as it was working fine until you did the open close to many times to quickly. You cycled the sunroof three times in a very short time and expect it to work well.. The most I have cycled the sunroof on my car is once to open and later on to close it, once open and once to close. Then several hours later I might open it again and it does what it is suppose to do and that is open the sunroof and then you have to give it a break as it is moving a very large window. You are cycling the replacement motor past the design multiply times and actually overheating the motor. GM fixed it once and it worked as designed, then you go out and cycle it in a short time frame and expecting it to work and most likely you did the damage to the replacement motor cycling it three times. That would be like to take a electric window in your car and open and closing as fast as you can.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I doubt that GM can really satisfy you as it was working fine until you did the open close to many times to quickly. You cycled the sunroof three times in a very short time and expect it to work well.. The most I have cycled the sunroof on my car is once to open and later on to close it, once open and once to close. Then several hours later I might open it again and it does what it is suppose to do and that is open the sunroof and then you have to give it a break as it is moving a very large window. You are cycling the replacement motor past the design multiple times and actually overheating the motor. GM fixed it once and it worked as designed, then you go out and cycle it in a short time frame and expecting it to work and most likely you did the damage to the replacement motor cycling it three times. That would be like to take a electric window in your car and open and closing as fast as you can.
Reminds me of the B-52 ejection seats which had electrical actuators for fore and aft adjustment. They came with a caution "note" that after a full traverse of the seat (from full aft to full forward or vice versa), you should wait five minutes before adjusting the seat again to avoid damaging the actuator motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Something is not adding up ...They have given you a rental car for 3 months and counting ..even at $25 per day rental it comes to $2250 and yet they won't buy it back out at near full price.
Then that dealership must be dumbo...drive the rental car for another year or two like that then take back your car with no mileage on it but non-functioning moonroof screen....you'll be better off than they bought it back full price !
RIGHT! They are dumb, they are literally losing money when they could've traded me out of my vehicle 2 months ago. They first gave me a loaner but GM makes u trade it in every 500 miles. I complained so they pulled a jeep off of their used car lot and I've been driving it since June now. I told them back then they are losing more the longer they wait. It still isn't fully approved that GM will give me $3,500 trade in allowance but I'll find out next week. I am hoping by next week I can be in my new Equinox (w/o sunroof) and I better not have to pay a dime. I just want to be out of this mess but it's a shame I have to still deal with the same dealership.

Also, sorry for all the responses.. I forgot about this post and decided to research if anyone else was having issues. I bought my car brand new for $41,000 and the dealership is only buying my car back for $30,000 and it has near 1,000 miles on it and it was 5 weeks old when I took it into the shop.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I doubt that GM can really satisfy you as it was working fine until you did the open close to many times to quickly. You cycled the sunroof three times in a very short time and expect it to work well.. The most I have cycled the sunroof on my car is once to open and later on to close it, once open and once to close. Then several hours later I might open it again and it does what it is suppose to do and that is open the sunroof and then you have to give it a break as it is moving a very large window. You are cycling the replacement motor past the design multiply times and actually overheating the motor. GM fixed it once and it worked as designed, then you go out and cycle it in a short time frame and expecting it to work and most likely you did the damage to the replacement motor cycling it three times. That would be like to take a electric window in your car and open and closing as fast as you can.
So, your saying if it starts to rain just after the guy opens his roof he has to leave it open for 5 hours before he closes it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, your saying if it starts to rain just after the guy opens his roof he has to leave it open for 5 hours before he closes it?
I did not say that what I stated is the obvious that he cycled it 3 times and overheated the motor. I am of the opinion that he likely did it in the driveway at the OP homes. If you are going down the highway and it starts to rain you will close it but at highway speed the wind from the open sunroof likely will also cool the motor as it is opening/closing. Personally I do not really care for sunroofs as it opens the roof up to leaks and if a car has it I am fine with it. When I bought my Equinox I wanted a diesel and the only car on the lot with a diesel had the sunroof. I just keep the tracks clean but likely it will not be used much in rain as I will take my pickup truck in the rain and the Equinox will snug in the garage where it is dry

·
Registered
238 Posts

You should get a second opinion from an attorney that specializes in Lemon Law cases. While the Lemon Law process itself may take a while, it should cost you nothing and the attorney will bill GM for their time and work on the case. Lemon Laws in every state stipulate that the auto manufacturer is responsible for paying your attorney's fees for having to file a Lemon Law case.

Just because you have a 2018, and the 2019 models are out now, doesn't mean you wouldn't be entitled to a new car under a successful Lemon Law claim. The automaker would be required to either buy it back or replace it with a new car of equal value (or more if you pay the difference in price.) If that means a 2019, then that is what you would get to settle the claim.

Here is a list of experienced Lemon Law attorneys in all states. Maybe there is one in your state that can offer some guidance before you lose even more money by taking GM's "trade allowance" offer.
http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/legal-links-information/locate-local-lemon-law-attorneys

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should get a second opinion from an attorney that specializes in Lemon Law cases. While the Lemon Law process itself may take a while, it should cost you nothing and the attorney will bill GM for their time and work on the case. Lemon Laws in every state stipulate that the auto manufacturer is responsible for paying your attorney's fees for having to file a Lemon Law case.

Just because you have a 2018, and the 2019 models are out now, doesn't mean you wouldn't be entitled to a new car under a successful Lemon Law claim. The automaker would be required to either buy it back or replace it with a new car of equal value (or more if you pay the difference in price.) If that means a 2019, then that is what you would get to settle the claim.

Here is a list of experienced Lemon Law attorneys in all states. Maybe there is one in your state that can offer some guidance before you lose even more money by taking GM's "trade allowance" offer.
http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/legal-links-information/locate-local-lemon-law-attorneys
Thank you arcee for your help. I will look at that list. I talked to Lemonlawgroup.com and 2 attorneys in my town (but don't specialize in the case). I have an update! my dealership was going to trade me out in a 2018 Equinox with no sunroof but the other dealerships won't let go of the Premier Equionox's. So they are offering me a 2018 equinox with a sunroof (that is what I have that's in the shop) but I told them that I didn't want to pay. They said eventually there will be a recall issued and a fix so if i get a sunroof that for me to just not use it until there is a fix for the issue. i told them only if I didn't have to pay. I should know this week!
I'm waiting to hear back from an attorney. If i file lemon law the dealership stops work on my vehicle and the return it to me "as is". If they cannot put it back properly together to where I can atleast drive it then what happens?? - As i do not have another vehicle to drive and the dealership will take away my rental

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just me--But I would take the new Equinox with the sunroof that they are offering. The recall will cover anything downstream.

Personally, I've not had any issues with my sunroof, and I've opened/closed it numerous times. Sounds as though there is something wrong with your original vehicle--maybe structurally causing track alignment issues, who knows? But a new vehicle gets you past that. Good luck---and thanks for the update regarding a recall.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
#18-NA-199: Sunroof Inoperative After Cycling, and/or Sunroof Window Function Slow - (Jun 25, 2018)
Subject: Sunroof Inoperative After Cycling, and/or Sunroof Window Function Slow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brand:
Model:
Model Year:
VIN:
Engine:
Transmission:

from
to
from
to

Chevrolet
Equinox
All
All

GMC
Terrain

Holden
Equinox

Involved Region or Country
North America, N.A. Export Regions, Australia

Additional Options (RPOs)
Equipped with ROOF-SUN, GLASS, SLIDING, ELEC, TRANSPARENT GLASS FIXED (C3U)

Condition
Customer may comment that their sunroof is inoperative after cycling, and/or the sunroof the window opens/closes much slower in comparison to a like vehicle.

Cause
The cause of the condition may be that the sunroof is going into thermal protection mode due to one, or both, of the following:

•The sunroof supplier may have manufactured a span of sunroof motors are lacking the proper amount of grease.
•The sunroof housing may be slightly skewed in relationship to the roof opening, causing a bind condition

Correction
Inspect both sunroof motors for the supplier’s Julian build date breakpoint and replace if necessary. If issue is not resolved, remove the sunroof housing locator pins, following the Service Procedure below.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts