GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So two questions for you fine folks if I may.. I’m looking to put a more all terrain type tire on the wife Nox. There’s not many options in the 18 inch wheels that’s even remotely fit. Actually been thinking of trying to find someone with a comparable set of 17 inch wheels to trade with. Anyway just wondering if we’ve got anyone whose maybe a rural liver like we are, who spends the large amount of time on gravel roads who might have gone an AT route.

Lastly, I’m one whose also surprised at the lack of fog lights outside the Prempier trim. I’m wondering if anyone’s opened those housings to say mod them to add some driving-light-esque LEDs?

·
Registered
2011 srx4 3.0L v6 awd lifted
20 Posts
Because the brake calipers and rotors are so large on modern vehicles, it is almost impossible to down size wheels as a smaller rim most likely will not clear the front brake caliper. There should be a good selection of 18 inch a/t tires out there... i found several 235 znd 245 60 18 a/t tires on the market when looking at new tires.
I put 265 60 18s on my srx4.

Not sure on your model but I discovered on ebay for an srx a replacement fog light grill With either the hole for a light or with fog light included, for models that did not have fog lights from factory..

best of luck
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Car

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gotta say that while I’m not a fan of the rim colors, you made that caddie look tough!
yeah I’m aware of the calipers, the 2018 Nox came with 17’s as well as 18’s so brake clearance is a non issue. What’s not a non issue is the strut, that lower spring perch is seriously close to rubber.
I’ve spent more than a normal amount of time looking up tire sizes and from what I’ve found between the 17’s and the 18’s and widths that won’t look silly I’ve found the 17’s to have more options and better prices.

the current plan is to hopefully find a willing person to trade with, nab a set of say 235-245/65/17 AT’s, which should give almost 2 inches then find some spring spacers to give another inch.

To me, that’d be plenty enough lift for our liking plus the added sidewalls will make the ride a bit better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I gotta say that while I’m not a fan of the rim colors, you made that caddie look tough!
yeah I’m aware of the calipers, the 2018 Nox came with 17’s as well as 18’s so brake clearance is a non issue. What’s not a non issue is the strut, that lower spring perch is seriously close to rubber.
I’ve spent more than a normal amount of time looking up tire sizes and from what I’ve found between the 17’s and the 18’s and widths that won’t look silly I’ve found the 17’s to have more options and better prices.

the current plan is to hopefully find a willing person to trade with, nab a set of say 235-245/65/17 AT’s, which should give almost 2 inches then find some spring spacers to give another inch.

To me, that’d be plenty enough lift for our liking plus the added sidewalls will make the ride a bit better.
Good to hear no issue on caliper clearance as it is always better if you can fit a smaller diameter wheel and bigger rubber... even if you keep the same rolling height as the stock factory 18" tires, that extra tire sidewall can make a difference when it comes to a pot hole or a rock or any rough road or condition. As someone who knows how easy it is for a rim to pinch and cut a low profile tire under those conditions. Sounds like you are on the right track. Most owners want larger wheels so you have a good chance of trading down to 17s. As for the strut, yes it can limit the width and height of the tire and the only way to resolve that are wheel spacers.

There should be some front leveling kits available online if you just want to lift the front an inch or so. As all these vehicles come from the factory with the rear set 1-1.5 inches higher than the front. That is what I purchased to lift the srx, however I modified mine to get extra lift. The leveling kit is just a pair of spacers which are installed on top of strut assembly along with a Pair of bolt extensions, which are way to long. I added 2.8 inches of spacers and still needed to cut the bolt extensions after strut was installed.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber

Ty for the comment on the srx. It's definitely a personalized look That only a mother or the owner can love.... I really wanted to do a body color matching wheel instead of just a silver, chrome or as everybody else does a black wheel.... they were in desperate need as previous owner managed to curb rash all 4 wheels In a big way. Was also the biggest pain in the personalizing of this vehicle as the first 2 paints I ordered from paint code on vehicle didn't match. Was too white.... so painted couple wheels more than once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha! Totally understood on the look. And yeah, I think it’ll be easy to trade down on the wheels, the hard part is finding someone with brand new tires to match mine.
I am thinking of going black on the wheels. The cars is a metallic blue on the darker side of the spectrum so a black rim I think would look pretty slick.
So I am thinking of pulling one of my struts seat bolts just to get the length to see how much spacer I could put in there. But like you did I’ve spaced out before.. you just need the bolts to match.
So on the struts, this is also why I’d stick with something under a 245 in width. That and we live and drive gravel a lot. Even after adding the mud guards I’d still need to keep them rather tucked to protect the paint. There was a guy who lifted a pre2018 Equinox, like a 2011 maybe. He but a safari rack like yours. Lifted all four corners by a good 3 inches I believe.. it looked sharp! I think he even had a push bar on the front. That’s the sort of look we are going for.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on if you're looking for an extremely aggressive A/T tire or something more subdued you may want to look at Falken Wildpeak A/T trails. I put them on my 19' Terrain Denali downsizing to an 18" wheel. Extremely happy with them though due to a mild winter last year can't really comment how they handle in moderate snow but are awesome in rain and road noise hasn't changed much over the stock crappy Hankooks. I haven't actually taken the Denali off road but the tires are highly recommended on the Subaru forums.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depending on if you're looking for an extremely aggressive A/T tire or something more subdued you may want to look at Falken Wildpeak A/T trails. I put them on my 19' Terrain Denali downsizing to an 18" wheel. Extremely happy with them though due to a mild winter last year can't really comment how they handle in moderate snow but are awesome in rain and road noise hasn't changed much over the stock crappy Hankooks. I haven't actually taken the Denali off road but the tires are highly recommended on the Subaru forums.
View attachment 18212 View attachment 18213 View attachment 18214
That tire looks good on there.... tread pattern Looks like they will be better in snow and ice than mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts