GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
What model Equinox do you have ? I didn't realize that they came with auto-tinting side mirrors. Maybe the sensor is dirty, or broken. If not dirty, then sounds like a trip to the dealer is in store for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer had no clue. 2.0 liter premier. I would think if the blindspot mirror was the culprit it would be dark 24/7. and the passenger side never goes dark.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You say the mirror goes dark day and night.... isn't that 24/7? I thought the same thing as the other poster that the blindspot mirror might be blocking a sensor. maybe just enough to make it an intermittent issue.
But then I also didn't know auto dimming side mirrors were an option on '18 Noxes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The answer as to why the passenger side does not go dark is that, per your owner's manual, "The vehicle has an automatic dimming outside mirror on the driver side. The mirror will adjust for the glare of headlamps behind you." That feature is not available on the passenger side mirror.

I'm not sure where the mirror gets it's command from to go into dimming mode. Maybe it's using the same signal from the dash top sensor that switches the instrument panel and infotainment screen to "night mode". Someone with a schematic of the mirror electronics may be able to answer the question as to why the driver side mirror is dark during the daytime.

What I did notice, on my '18 Terrain, is that when shining a bright light inside the blind spot warning indicators on the driver side the "sparklies" appear in a grid pattern, while the "sparklies" on the passenger side appear in a random pattern. What that exactly means, I don't know. But it could inidcate that there's a photo sensitive array under the top layer on the driver side, which in your case is somehow getting some wrong data.

Did the mirror go dark during the day before you installed the convex button mirror?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Outside Dimming Mirror is directly connected to the inside rearview mirror. Since the OP did not mention that his inside mirror is no good then there is a problem from the mirror to the outside. The mirrors are also interconnected with the Reverse position in the Transmission, as GM wants you have a clear picture behind, when it that position the mirrors are supposed to go clear. There should be a warranty fix here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts