GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2018 Equinox Diesel Repair Dilemna P118 P0087 P228 codes and Fuel Feed Hose replacement (?!)

14K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JosephEquinoxMD 
#1 ·
So my check engine light comes on. I call OnStar. They give me a P1189 code and to call the Dealer for further information. Today, the Service Advisor says the following are
covered repair items:

W. P118B- PARTICULATE MATTER SENSOR
W. P0087- FUEL RAIL LOW PRESSURE
W. P228B- FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR PRESSURE SENSOR
C. FUEL FEED HOSE BROKEN, REPLACE $178.98+LABOR

The W means its warranty covered. C means I have to pay. The Service Advisor claims the hose has to be replaced when the others are replaced. I told him I never noticed
any fuel leakage or smells. At 1.9 labor hours, which is about $380, I'm being charged $500 to replace one hose. On top of that one of the parts is not available and I'm told that
there's no info as to WHEN it may be available, but it is OKAY for me to drive around with the defective part. My wild guess is they are trying to milk me for labor $ on top of the covered warranty parts.

My counter argument is well, if you're going to go into the area twice (I'm assuming these parts are connected or in the same region and one must go disassemble/remove
parts to get at the others), the LABOR should be folded into the warranty covered items. SA states, that is what he's told and that is the way things are done. What I'm afraid of and he stated they didn't charge me a $200 diagnostic fee..I'd be charged the $200 diagnostic fee if I take my car out now and go somewhere else.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I do have the Platinum Extended Warranty that he didn't call to inquire if covered. I do not know if this 'hose' is covered and will find out shortly. Just wanted to post while thoughts are fresh.

See less See more
#3 ·
'Hosed'.. haha :) I tried to do a parts search on eBay and IDParts and find nothing. The part that approximates the fuel line hose varies from $16-$70 for other GM vehicles on eBay. $180 for the Equinox is truly high. I had thought the SA was going to give me the actual invoice with the GM part numbers but just got part number-less descriptions. One part supposedly is unknown when it will be received but the Tech claims I can still drive the car around with the defective part. I did notice a short-term loss of acceleration power the day of the check engine light but in subsequent days have not experienced the power loss. I'm just thinking driving around with a known defective component may lead to something worse down the road especially if its weeks before the needed part is available and installed.

At least I can get a loaner car, but the SA wasn't sure if I had to pay for the rental and get reimbursed later. I didn't push the issue at this point not knowing how long the car will be at the shop for the other repairs. I'm thinking since its car dealership, they should be able to give me any car on the lot for a FREE loaner. Why should I have to pay up front and get reimbursed later? IF I had a choice of a loaner, I'd go for the Bolt EV.

#6 ·
That price for the hose is essentially list price plus a [huge] markup. The front fuel hose has a list price around $113, the rear fuel hose is $102 list.

I agree that if it needs to be replaced while they are in there, and they have to take the old hose out as part of the repair, no reason why you couldn't be charged for the part only and they just install the new hose as part of putting everything back together.

#9 ·
Okay, as of today, everything is covered under warranty. I had 59982 on the odometer. I called in the problem at 59862 and made the appointment for this past Monday. So, I made sure the vehicle was at the shop prior to 60K. The hose is covered under my extended warranty with the $100 deductible. The SA is now saying the hose is NOT part of the covered items or associated (like he said the first time), which cut down my argument about double charging me for labor done for the other 2 covered items. No word on the loaner/rental. Last word was I pay $38/daily (their Enterprise daily rate). I advised them of the Courtesy Transportation Program. The reply tonight was come into the dealership in the AM.

At this writing, I'm paying $100 deductible and $209 for the transmission fluid change. More to follow.

#10 ·
Under 6 quarts of ac delco full synthetic transmission fluid the equinox uses= less than $30 at rock auto.I changed it 30k miles ago and it was one of the easiest things i have ever done. Now if the are unhooking the transmission lines at the radiator and truly draining the system then yeah pay the 200. If they are only draining it and refilling....are you mechanically inclined at all?90k on mine and I have done all oil and fuel filter changes except the 2 free ones at the dealer when it was new.

#11 ·
I should have updated this a month or so ago but with work I put it off. Needless to say, the car came back and 50 mi and 1/2 a day into running, the check engine light comes on. I call OnStar and got the same P118B code. I called the dealer, spoke to the Service Advisor and was advised to bring it in AGAIN. To make a long story short, I didn't until this week. My educated guess is the mechanic probably reset the check engine light. My remote start didn't work and all this time I thought it was a separate issue. When internet searching, I discovered a forum answer by a GM Tech, who stated that when the check engine light is on. No confirmation from the previous visit. I asked the new Servisor Advisor about that as they are working on the same issue again. SInce he's new, there was discussion about charging me for a diagnostic fee. I told him to review the history and discover the same code has shown up now 3x.

My guess with the recall is as I was told, they completed part of the recall and are awaiting for a part that has a TBD delivery date. Maybe this 'incomplete repair' causes the engine light to come on. It never did for this issue prior. Just my 2c

#12 ·
I should have updated this a month or so ago but with work I put it off. Needless to say, the car came back and 50 mi and 1/2 a day into running, the check engine light comes on. I call OnStar and got the same P118B code. I called the dealer, spoke to the Service Advisor and was advised to bring it in AGAIN. To make a long story short, I didn't until this week. My educated guess is the mechanic probably reset the check engine light. My remote start didn't work and all this time I thought it was a separate issue. When internet searching, I discovered a forum answer by a GM Tech, who stated that when the check engine light is on. No confirmation from the previous visit. I asked the new Servisor Advisor about that as they are working on the same issue again. SInce he's new, there was discussion about charging me for a diagnostic fee. I told him to review the history and discover the same code has shown up now 3x.

My guess with the recall is as I was told, they completed part of the recall and are awaiting for a part that has a TBD delivery date. Maybe this 'incomplete repair' causes the engine light to come on. It never did for this issue prior. Just my 2c
I’m late to this party but going through the same thing. Dealer wanted $135 diagnostics fee- wouldn’t accept OnStar. I bought an OBD-II and reset the light myself. About every 2-3 weeks the light comes on, remote start doesn’t work. I was told by a friend at another dealer that it’s the ‘soot’ build up since I make a lot of short trips. Hoping the drive to Disney this spring fixes it once and for all. By a good OBD-II reader ( I got the Foxwell NT301 -$65 on Amazon) and it saves me a ton of money. It will tell you everything going on with your Equinox.

#13 ·
Even if you have the most expensive available to mankind, unfortunately, the dealer will probably want to do a rescan, and bill you because they will not bleieve your scanner.

Reactions: BayNavig8r_
#14 ·
Thanks for your responses. As of this writing, this is the 4th visit. I had a minor run in with a guard rail to the tune of $5K in damages. Body damage is fixed BUT they say they didn't inspect the engine for internal damage!!! 22 days later and no engine inspection??? I have Geico. I refused paying for the diagnostic scan on the subsequent visits as it was related to the 1st one prior to the 60K manufacture warranty ending. As far as soot build up from short drives, I drive long drives for work.. anywhere from 25-100 mi and up per work day. I drive about 30K a year but less last year due to the pandemic.

What perplexes me is if OnStar can remotely do a diagnostic and reveal the trouble codes, what difference is gained from the dealer hooking it up to a reader to get the same P118B code? Yes, they gaiin their $200 diagnostic fee. Then they (OnStar) say its something that can be ignored. But I can't use my remote start to defrost my windshield and warm the car a little before heading out. I'm losing part of my car's functionality (remote start) because of the light.

I've requested the prior and current SA to do some investigation as to how/why this could be happening while the car was in their hands practically all this month. Not one return phone call up to today, yet.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my Equinox TD. I was given a 2021 Terrain SLT rental, with the 1.5 gas engine, I will post my experience on shortly.

#15 ·
Sounds like your dealer may want to open up the engine to look for any damages that hitting the guardrail may have caused. I think that Spring is approaching rapidly and the shop manager saw a new boat that he is interested in.

#16 ·
At minimum, I know there is a fluid leak from either the washer fluid reservoir or a related connected hose as the 'empty fluid' dashboard light came on after impact. I told the body shop person when we went over the damage upon leaving the car. That would serve as the starting point. I spoke to a new SA yesterday who claims the bodyshop people are trained to look for engine damaged parts as they go about doing their body repair work. But to your point, if the engine part goes beyond that which is next to the body panel, how is the body repair person going to know for sure what is considered damaged other than the obvious misshaped part.

Unless anyone else may know or posts, I'm going to look for a GM or Chevy hotline number to discuss the above mentioned P118B code and the recent recall. There must be some connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.