GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the coolant on my 2018 Equinox with the 1.5 L engine. Has anyone performed this service that would be able to post the directions or direct me to an existing post that I have missed. I have done this on my Cruze, Sonic and ATS; however, each model has a slightly different procedure to follow. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Differing procedures is usually because of different engines, and not different model vehicles. A Cruse with a 1.5l should be the same as the equinox with a 1.5l

·
Registered
312 Posts
My question is why perform this service so soon? I'm all for preventive maintenance, but this sounds like overkill to me unless you have 150,000 miles on your 18, you're certainly not up to the 5 year limit for Dexcool. If you're concerned about the condition of your coolant you can buy anti-freeze test strips at your favorite auto parts store or even use a multi-meter to test it, yes a multi-meter, google it.
I want to change the coolant on my 2018 Equinox with the 1.5 L engine. Has anyone performed this service that would be able to post the directions or direct me to an existing post that I have missed. I have done this on my Cruze, Sonic and ATS; however, each model has a slightly different procedure to follow. Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses thus far. I know he procedures vary with the different engines, that is why I'm trying to find the correct procedure for the 1.5 L. All are "closed" systems; however, my experience so far has been just with the 1.4 L and 2.0 L engines. Some engines have bleeder screws, some don't and do not want any air pockets to develop after replacing the coolant.
I don't follow the GM 5 year/150,000 mile recommendation due to the track record of Dex-Cool; therefore, I usually change the coolant on our GM vehicles between 2 - 3 years. I have experienced the gooey, sticky material with past vehicles that had minor leaks. I also like this time frame because we live in Florida and the extreme heat our vehicles are subjected to. Changing the coolant is an easy maintenance item to do, once I learn the correct procedure for my vehicle.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dex issues from the past were due to poor gasket materials. 3.1 were notorious for LIM gaskets for example, that was what caused gelling.
No issues today.
I change at the 5/100 time frame. My old '09 2.4 Malibu went 190k miles zero cooling system issues when I sold it with just the 5/100 drop and fill, multiple Co. Express vans on my job go 150k and higher with zero coolant changes, many over 200k miles in a national fleet.
I don't think GM uses bleeders any more on current engines.
I use distilled water and mix my own concentrate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information. That is exactly true regarding the gasket materials; however, I've read over the years that Dex-Cool uses organic acid technology as its corrosion inhibitors instead of silicates, thus causing the breakdown of the product. Our 2012 Cruze and Sonic had bleeder screws on the radiator. The 2016 ATS, no bleeder screws, just a fill and RPM procedure after adding new coolant. I'm still trying to find the correct procedure for our Equinox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts