GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the underside of the center console lid is intended for? It has clips and indentations but I can't figure what it could hold. Any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the underside of the center console lid is intended for? It has clips and indentations but I can't figure what it could hold. Any ideas?

Ive got to look at mine when I drive home tonight.. I didn't notice those.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well I'll be damned

Attachments

Reactions: tizan and Zequinox

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Perfect picture. I wanted to be more help but not enough time with first s**n fall of the season. Wish we were back on holidays in Arizona like previously 15 days !!!!!!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
there will be owners who will own their vehicles for many many years---- and not notice that.

Kind of like the previous generation...
a tissue box (the small type) fit perfectly in the storage compartment.... I dont know if this is a coincidence-- or was done on purpose.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If it wasn't for this post I would have had no idea. I've opened the lid many times to use the storage area but you don't really think to look at the lid especially when it opens to a point equal to your body you have to lean forward a bit to see it.

I had read the manual front to back and back to front when I got the vehicle and I do not recall seeing anything about this in the book. I bet the dealership salespeople don't even know this..it would be a nice little extra "wow they thought of everything" pitch when selling the vehicle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I use the clip for business cards. The small box with the spring flap holds my gas discount card.
Have not found a use for the long rectangular box. A #2 pencil will fit, but I have not found a pen that will fit.
A pencil type tire gauge is also too big for this spot.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I use the clip for business cards. The small box with the spring flap holds my gas discount card.
Have not found a use for the long rectangular box. A #2 pencil will fit, but I have not found a pen that will fit.
A pencil type tire gauge is also too big for this spot.
GM has the "clip" or "slot" on the underside of many console lids these days. . not just Equinox/Terrain.

It is on everything from the Sonic to Colorado/Canyon.

Nice feature. I put my registration folded up in there. Then it doesn't get lost in the rest of the mess.. . .lol

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
976 Posts
I wish the 2018 lid had the shallow tray like my 2008 did. I think the 2nd generation Equinox had the same setup.
The 2018 only has the one deep compartment.

Reactions: gpart and kastner03

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wish the 2018 lid had the shallow tray like my 2008 did. I think the 2nd generation Equinox had the same setup.

i really miss this tray for small things i wish there was a way to make something fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a couple of these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Center-Console-Armrest-Storage-Box-Tray-For-Chevrolet-Equinox-2018/182859562082?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

FYI - the seller is in China. Won't get them for a few weeks. I couldn't find a US seller for these items.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought a couple of these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Center-Console-Armrest-Storage-Box-Tray-For-Chevrolet-Equinox-2018/182859562082?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

FYI - the seller is in China. Won't get them for a few weeks. I couldn't find a US seller for these items.
I almost ordered one from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071JTD1XR/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I82P2R9KHBXG3&colid=3HTAG12ESS9U8
but I have 2 USB cables plugged in that hang out in the front of the console.
I thought the USB cables run up through the hole in the tray would be a hassle when I remove the tray to get out items in main storage area.

Reactions: kastner03

·
Registered
531 Posts
I almost ordered one from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071JTD1XR/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I82P2R9KHBXG3&colid=3HTAG12ESS9U8
I thought the USB cables run up through the hole in the tray would be a hassle when I remove the tray to get out items in main storage area.

my same reason for not trying it. hopefully someone will develop one that’s only half the size that way you can reach past it into the bottom if you want to, like the last 2 generations of equinox were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
unfortunately the tray from the previous gen won't fit. I had kept mine but alas its too wide. Im hoping to find something that will work too. just nice for a flashlight, change, screwdriver etc.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Just a suggestion - - -

We had the same problem of no upper console tray in the 2015-18 Colorado/Canyon.

So take some measurements and see if there is something else very close that is the size you want that has more of the design you would like. I also wanted to still have access to the USB port in my Colorado as well as ability to grasp the tray and pull it out.

Perhaps if you take measurements you can find a tray made for another vehicle on Amazon. - - - but will fit in the Equinox and have the size and features you want.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=console+tray+insert

https://www.amazon.com/Kust-cwh71289w-Chevrolet-Accessories-Double-deck/dp/B075GLBWMZ/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510872082&sr=1-7&keywords=console+tray+insert+Equinox

Another possibility - - -:
There is also a vendor who makes such trays and is working on various custom trays for vehicles that do not have one.

NOTE: I am NOT affiliated in any way with Salex. Just informing that they are looking to produce products such as these insert trays and also look for suggestions on design that owners most want.

They can email them at [email protected]

Thanks,
Todd
www.salexorganizers.com

Below is a picture of a Ford Escape tray I found on Amazon for $8 that just needed a bit of trimming on two front corners - - --
FOR USE in 2015-18 Colorado/Canyon.

Reactions: bigb12359 and Lee F

·
Registered
976 Posts
I almost ordered one from Amazon.
I decided to try the Amazon tray and cut 2 slots in the front so I can remove and replace the tray without messing with the 2 USB cables I normally have sticking out the front.
https://www.amazon.com/Vesul-Armrest-Secondary-Storage-Chevrolet/dp/B071JTD1XR/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516651557&vehicle=2018-47-2487-------------0&sr=1-1-fkmr0&ymm=2018%3Achevrolet%3Aequinox&keywords=Vesul+Armrest+Secondary+Storage+Box+Glove+Pallet+Center+Console+Tray+For+Chevrolet+Equinox+2018

The red bags are Eagle Creek Pack-It Original Cube X-Small I use to keep things organized.
https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-original-cube-xsmall-quarter-cube/d/1332C2706?CategoryId=212

I cut slots for the cables but it looks like you can cut out the front center support easier.

Attachments

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi ,

slots for pens/ pencils , money or business card holder , possible phone holder .
THANK YOUUU because I just got an Equinox - learning it and looking and like another person has said, there was and is NOTHING in the manual about the console lid!! I appreciate this site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts