GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can give a detailed explanation of the fluid change process.?

The manual doesn't say jack about it other than going to the dealership. Online capacity says 4.2 q fill....but how? I barely got 3 in it.

I see posts about driving it a couple hundred miles and dumping it again but that makes no sense. The dealership wouldnt do that..... So explain the difference.

Is there any special driving procedure? Or computer resets?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
You should measure how much you drain, and then put in that amount. Then do the same procedure a couple thoudand miles later. You will not be able to completely empty all of the fluid because you are not emptying the torque converter. I read in another forum about someone drilling a hole in the torque converter to drain it, and then sealing the hole with a rivit, but i would not try that on my car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But we just have the drain and the level plugs? Or am I missing something

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will torque pro or forscan work for this? Is there a set of pids to download?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Will torque pro or forscan work for this? Is there a set of pids to download?
Here is a Youtube and the best way to drain and refill ALL the transmission fluid. Best to have another assistant to help with starting, stopping the engine and adding more fluid as it is flushed.
If you do not wish to drain and refill all the fluid, just drain and add what is taken out. without disconnecting the trans cooler line.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since it's not written up and its all linked and videos references.

7/16 socket

Drop the fluid when it hasn't been started theres a temp control valve that wont release it all

Drain and then remove the level plug as its draining

Replace drain plug and fill from level plug

Start the car and let it warm up...add some more....keeping foot on brake go through the gears. Keep idling until operating temp.

Add more until you see a slight trickle or drip... plug it up.

Shift through gears more and then take a leisurely drive and check the shifting.

Remove level plug and recheck for overfill.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
"Cwilson884, post: 314354, member: 43013"]
Since it's not written up and its all linked and videos references.

7/16 socket

Drop the fluid when it hasn't been started theres a temp control valve that wont release it all

Drain and then remove the level plug as its draining

Replace drain plug and fill from level plug [Fill From Top Cap Fill Port on Transmission. . .]

Start the car and let it warm up...add some more....keeping foot on brake go through the gears. Keep idling until operating temp.

Add more until you see a slight trickle or drip... plug it up.

Shift through gears more and then take a leisurely drive and check the shifting.

Remove level plug and recheck for overfill.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt see a top cap on it...a diesel has a 6sp trans not the 9

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm blind...I see it now....guess I did it the hard way filling it....but I dont see it being much easier

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well I'm blind...I see it now....guess I did it the hard way filling it....but I don't see it being much easier
Watch the entire Youtube video. . it discloses much including the fill cap (minute 7:56) use of a long neck funnel - - very easy - - and more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd just assume doing what I did again vs getting in there to remove the cap. Doing it the way I did pretty much assures no overfill. I fed a small hose through the wheel into the level plug and pumped it in....that being said what's up with a little lift kit lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll get a barbed end and thread a fitting in next time when I refill

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I'd just assume doing what I did again vs getting in there to remove the cap. Doing it the way I did pretty much assures no overfill. I fed a small hose through the wheel into the level plug and pumped it in....that being said what's up with a little lift kit lol
You leave the check port open while filling through the long neck funnel. Pour till the fluid just starts to drip a bit or. . . as described in the video. No over fill occurs and filling through a funnel with a larger diameter orifice is much quicker than through a 3/8" OD plastic tube IMHO and no pump is needed .
I've done it several times and works well. The cap and top fill port is what it is used for the factory fill and at dealers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you're a gm tech?...is there a factory fog harness that piggybacks off the lights?

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Factory fog lights have their own wiring harness and the BCM must be programmed to operate them. It's been that ways for many years now on most GM vehicles.
Otherwise, you'd have to jerry rig your own with a separate wiring circuit and switch/relay.

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this it? 84314382

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I'm blind...I see it now....guess I did it the hard way filling it....but I dont see it being much easier
It is a lot easier using the fill port on the top of the trans. Keep the over flow plug out while filling from the top. When fluid starts coming out of the overflow/fill level plug you stop adding. Run trans through gears several times, top off level one more time. Let car hit operating temp. When it’s done weeping from the overflow/fill level, put the plug back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts