GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I need to remember that as it sounds like a diesel would not be a good choice for us. Both my wife and I can go for weeks without driving more than 2 or 3 miles at a time.
Small town.
An electric or plug-in hybrid would be ideal for such pattern of driving but sadly for whatever reasons you don't see any (affordable at least.. Tesla X does not count) for the class of the equinox. Toyota rav4 hybrid may be...but meh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After the whole VW debacle, I think GM and other automakers are being very conservative with any actual or perceived issues with their diesel engines, so to me this isn't a hugely worrying predicament. From an emissions standpoint, what I've read about diesels with DEF systems indicates they run very clean and with low particulates.

While more complicated like others have said, I think diesels have a place in an automaker's lineup and we'll see more over time.

C&D tested the Equinox diesel and said they got 43 mpg highway, quite a bit higher than the EPA rated mileage figures. In the Cruze with the same engine, at 75 mph they got 52 mpg, which is crazy impressive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-equinox-diesel-first-drive-review

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-equinox-diesel-awd-test-review

Reactions: tizan

·
Registered
668 Posts
After the whole VW debacle, I think GM and other automakers are being very conservative with any actual or perceived issues with their diesel engines, so to me this isn't a hugely worrying predicament. From an emissions standpoint, what I've read about diesels with DEF systems indicates they run very clean and with low particulates.

While more complicated like others have said, I think diesels have a place in an automaker's lineup and we'll see more over time.

C&D tested the Equinox diesel and said they got 43 mpg highway, quite a bit higher than the EPA rated mileage figures. In the Cruze with the same engine, at 75 mph they got 52 mpg, which is crazy impressive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-equinox-diesel-first-drive-review

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-equinox-diesel-awd-test-review

I sure hope so, and i'll try to get ours reprogrammed in a couple of weeks when i go for the servicing...because so far we generally like this car (apart from the uncomfortable seats, for one of us, which we are breaking into or modifying with cushions).

I think it is a reassonably good bet by GM, in this class where it is alone right now in terms of mpg. Sure not for everybody but ...

http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-oil-price-history-chart

From the chart above if the trend follows the one from 2002...they will be selling much more of the diesel models in the next few years unless a decent economic hybrid in this class competes with it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Had the first servicing done yesterday and they reprogrammed the ECM too.
On the way back home the mileage was not drastically different from what i have been having. Had 38 mpg, instead of the usual 42-43 but there was a 20 mph crosswind on the highway. After a couple of tanks i will have a better idea.

This does appear to be a genuine mistake or bug and not a VW style cheat where to get the emission as claimed... you had to burn more gas and lose horsepower.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Please follow up with us once you have more miles post fix. I am debating whether or not to do the recall.
Have put nearly 1000 miles now since the fix. The car is humming as well as before.
Mileage is the same as before typically 42-43 mpg highway and 36-37 average (i usually refill when the tank is 1/3 full so i have 3 points of calculation so far)

As an anecdote i got my best record for 50 miles of 48.5 mpg this week but that is with a steady NM spring wind assisting !! and on the way back with the wind opposing got only 35 mpg :sad:

Also caught it for the first time in 6000 miles doing a DPF regen.. I noticed the start/stop was not happening and after switching the car off the fan remained on for a minute or so, and that is a sign it seems when the car is switched off in during an incomplete regen and it is making sure the DPF is cooled off for safety. The next day i had a 30 mile drive and i think it completed it...because after trip the auto stop restarted working and the fan did not keep running after switching off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got back from Florida averaged 37.8 mpg the car now has 3540 miles on it. I checked the oil everyday and it has not used any.
Runs very well no lack of power and is quiet and handled nicely, the blind spot detection is also nice
I had to put it L6 for most of the driving in florida because of the insane traffic as I really dislike the auto stop but got used to leaving it in L6.
The infotainment system shut down completely for no reason while driving home leaving us without any music or navigation for 10 or so minutes but then it magically turned on and was fine after that.
I have to put DEF in soon as its around 30% it will be the second jug.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I
I had to put it L6 for most of the driving in florida because of the insane traffic as I really dislike the auto stop but got used to leaving it in L6.
Comment threw me for a minute, thinking you had the 9-speed tranny. (L6 in the 9-speed is not even 1:1 ratio; that's L7.) My bad; finally got brain engaged!:grin:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Please follow up with us once you have more miles post fix. I am debating whether or not to do the recall.
I suspect you may lose your warranty (especially on the catalytic converter, DPF, emission sensor) if you do not get the recall fixed in some amount of time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2013 diesel jetta and vw tried a recall where they messed with the ecm. I waited a while before going to the dealership and people were having tons of problems after getting the reprogramming done and vw quit with that recall. The scandal came out a few months later. I have learned to not be one of the first to get recalls done if i can avoid it. I thank you for the feedback from those that have had the recall done already.

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
I suspect you may lose your warranty (especially on the catalytic converter, DPF, emission sensor) if you do not get the recall fixed in some amount of time.
I never thought of not doing a recall could affect your warranty, but it makes sense - but probably only if the warranty issue is because of not doing the recall.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Looks like another ECM reprogram recall

I saw this today in mychevrolet site

• GM Recall #:
  • N192273630

• Date Issued:
  • Nov 14, 2019

Recall Title:
Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency
Recall Description:
General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emissions recall involving certain 2019 model year diesel engine vehicles. The engine control module (ECM) in these vehicles may not adequately diagnose or illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (Check Engine Light) when frequent regeneration of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) occurs.
Safety Risk Description:
TBD
Repair Description:
Dealers are to program the engine control module (ECM) with corrected software.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dropping mine off tomorrow morning to have the recall work performed. CEL with code P24B1 since last week Monday. Coincidence? LOL! I’ll follow up afterwards to inform everyone of the resolution.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts