GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Hope it's not a VW Dieselgate ! They will be announcing they really should be getting 15 mpg when they meet the EPA Emissions Level! LOL

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Hope it's not a VW Dieselgate ! They will be announcing they really should be getting 15 mpg when they meet the EPA Emissions Level! LOL

I don't think it's a VW type thing. But it is another example of the extra tech and hardware that a diesel has to have to meet EPA mandates. DEF, Regens, Sensors, Fuel pump, Fuel Filter, etc. .. lot's of things that aren't on a gasser. Complicated enough on those with GDI and turbo.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I read some news coverage of the recall - it involves a reprogram of the car's computer. Under certain circumstances, including braking, the engine's RPM's can increase to 2,800.

·
Registered
665 Posts
It took about 90 minutes for them to reprogram the vehicle for the recall
Because you did not drive much before the fix ...might not know if it is a VW-gate style coverup or not.

I have not received a notice yet but it would be interesting to see if the mpg change before and after the reprogramming...I have been getting consistently 35 mpg in mixed driving and 40 mpg in a 90% highway tank...these are my calculations (miles driven from last fill / number of gallons in) ...The DIC estimates are kind of consistent with what i have been getting...peaked at larger than 46 mpg for a 50 mile stretch.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is it difficult to add the DEF?
No ...as the fill neck is smaller (just so as you never put diesel in it by mistake !) you have to be careful. I have so far used "Blue Def" which comes with a long neck spout. So that is handy and i keep a wet rag under neck, to catch any spill or drips, just because the urea is corrosive if it stay a long time on the paint in case of spill (The same reason you should clean bird poo off paint work because if stays there for days it slowly corrodes it).

I tend to follow what diesel chevy cruze owners say..because DEF has a shelf life or a year or a bit more....and you use around 1 gallon for every 1000 miles. So if you do not drive a lot do not fill the tank completely. What i do is wait till on the DIC it tells me it is 30% or less then i put 2.5 gallons in (freshly bought...after checking the date of manufacture is recent).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re programing is not a bad repair, but the particulate sensor would have me worried about the catalytic converter down the road.

and....may exhibit a condition in which the engine surges up to 2,800 RPM while coasting or braking, but only in extremely rare circumstances.

Now that would have me a little bit worried.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Re programing is not a bad repair, but the particulate sensor would have me worried about the catalytic converter down the road.

and....may exhibit a condition in which the engine surges up to 2,800 RPM while coasting or braking, but only in extremely rare circumstances.

Now that would have me a little bit worried.
Reading this made me think - Do Diesel vehicles have a Catalytic Converter ? I am not up on diesel technology...obviously !

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Reading this made me think - Do Diesel vehicles have a Catalytic Converter ? I am not up on diesel technology...obviously !

They do . . of sorts. . they have a DPF . . Diesel Particulate Filter. And, every so often, the engine must go into a "Regen" cycle to add the DEF. . pig urine . .. to clean and burn off the particulates that accumulate.

At least, at this point, this is the understanding I have. I am sure there may be other stuff that enters into the fuel/exhaust/ emmisions diesel equation.

Others will chime in I am sure.

Cheers! 50F here to day and tomorrow. Woo-hoo . . . January thaw.

·
Registered
665 Posts
They do . . of sorts. . they have a DPF . . Diesel Particulate Filter. And, every so often, the engine must go into a "Regen" cycle to add the DEF. . pig urine . .. to clean and burn off the particulates that accumulate.

At least, at this point, this is the understanding I have. I am sure there may be other stuff that enters into the fuel/exhaust/ emmisions diesel equation.

Others will chime in I am sure.

Cheers! 50F here to day and tomorrow. Woo-hoo . . . January thaw.

Sorry .you mixed the 2 things a bit....

DEF is injected to convert Nitrous oxide to Nitrogen and water over a catalyst. That is separate from DPF...so yes there is a Catalyst section in the exhaust.

The DPF is a filter that traps cabon particles (soot) and then once in a while the computer runs the exhaust hot to burn the trapped soot ...that process is called regen.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Sorry .you mixed the 2 things a bit....

DEF is injected to convert Nitrous oxide to Nitrogen and water over a catalyst. That is separate from DPF...so yes there is a Catalyst section in the exhaust.

The DPF is a filter that traps cabon particles (soot) and then once in a while the computer runs the exhaust hot to burn the trapped soot ...that process is called regen.

Yes two parts/steps to clean the Diesel by products,

·
Registered
39 Posts
We've had ours for almost two weeks and have almost 700 miles on. We haven't received the letter yet.

Our first tank hand-calculated out to 33.8 in mixed driving, with the majority of those miles being the wife's 30-mile round trip commute. I'm getting ready to top it off again, and I'll update my reply when I do.

If this fix and/or reflash significantly diminishes the power or mileage of our new Equinox, I'm not going to be a happy camper......

*Update* tonight's fill-up of 13.11 gallons (In 473.5 miles) calculated out to 36.117 mpg.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The "regen" system is causing big problems on several brands of tractors if they are not run at full throttle all the time.
Lots of unhappy farmers
Same thing will happen to people who use diesel cars for in town driving only (it is not all the time at least in cars but you'll be warned to drive it at above 30 mph for 25 to 30 mins continuously). Living in rural NM, we do lots of small roads, dirt roads (speed of less than 15 mph for 20 to 30 miles regularly) and highway combinations (65 and 75 mph). I have never sensed when it did a regen and it must have done a few by now...have 4800 miles on it now and 4.5 months since we bought it.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Same thing will happen to people who use diesel cars for in town driving only (it is not all the time at least in cars but you'll be warned to drive it at above 30 mph for 25 to 30 mins continuously).
I need to remember that as it sounds like a diesel would not be a good choice for us. Both my wife and I can go for weeks without driving more than 2 or 3 miles at a time.
Small town.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts