GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Service advisor is just a work order writer.
They said no synth. as the probably they only stock regular Dexron VI which is a semi synth. .
GM doesn't recommend flushes, they have not for years, only drop and replace fluid. Flushes push contaminates into places internally and potentially cause issues hence just drain and replace.
Use the severe use schedule for maximum life, I was surprised how dark fluid was in my '16 3.6 trans when I changed it at 45k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2018 Equinox AWD Diesel. Haven't serviced the transmission yet, but was debating doing the flush or a fluid change. Dealer Service Advisor advises NOT to use synthetic as it was not originally using it. Sorry to hear about your issue. It makes me think mine is going to fail no matter what. I have 58K on it and drive it probably as much as or a little more than you do, although the start of the pandemic had me laid off until last month. Was your vehicle the diesel or gas engine? I'd contact your local consumer action tv station or radio station to put you on the airwaves. Here in my market (Wash DC Metro) there was a story about an Bolt EV that caught fire for no reason parked at the owner's home and GM slow to act. No big auto company wants bad publicity.

Keep us posted.
If you haven't changed your fluid yet, PLEASE do so as soon as possible. I have the same 2018 TD AWD and my fluid was PITCH BLACK at 27K mi. Moreover, the viscosity of the fluid was near water-like after removal. I have been doing a drain and fill with synthetic fluid Dexron VI regularly every 10K mi since and have noticed an improvement in shift quality and cleanliness of the fluid since doing so. It's VERY easy to perform the service and well worth the peace of mind knowing if the transmission fails, it's not on me. The input shaft failure is a bit unnerving as I do tow frequently with mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The turbine shaft, also known as the transmission input shaft, is splined on both ends.
A snap ring does hold it in so the tranny has to be disassembled to replace it.
Yes, its the turbine shaft that failed. When it failed it took out some other things inside the trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Today is day #78. No update about a possible in stock date for the part.

These cool morning and nights have me missing my heated seats! I know im being a diva here but I bought a fully loaded EQ for my driving enjoyment. This base unit is killing me.

I am on my 2nd loaner already. First one was a trax, moved out of that after about 1K of miserable miles. Just hit 5K on the new equinox loaner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So who has done their fluid change that can message me? No one is ever on this forum and it kinda sucks

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
So who has done their fluid change that can message me? No one is ever on this forum and it kinda sucks
Here is a Youtube and the best way to drain and refill ALL the transmission fluid. Best to have another assistant to help with starting, stopping the engine and adding more fluid as it is flushed.
If you do not wish to drain and refill all the fluid, just drain and add what is taken out. without disconnecting the trans cooler line.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts