GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mostly a rant but also looking for feedback from people who have encountered similar situations.

Back in July I stopped at a traffic light, when the light turned green and I pressed the gas the car just revved. Nothing else. Roadside came to the rescue and delivered the Equinox to the nearest dealer.

Turns out the "transmission shaft" failed. This part is not available for replacement. The dealer told me its listed as "pending re engineering". This tells me there is clearly an issue. There are also no replacement transmissions in the pipeline either.

In the last 2+ months of being without my car, I have tried to escalate things to find a more permanent solution.

Local dealer has given me an Equinox loaner while waiting.

GM Customer Service (not the dealer) is not able to give any info other than to keep waiting.

I opened a case with the BBB Lemon Law Mediation Service but they declined assistance because I am outside the bumper to bumper warranty, though still well within the powertrain warranty. Car has 48K on it.

BBB advised me to get an attorney to negotiate with GM for a buyback or replacement. Not ready yet to commit to that cost.

Anyone ever had success with getting a buyback or replacement vehicle when the current one cannot be fixed?

Am I being unreasonable? How long is reasonable to wait for a repair?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Have you regularly used it to tow heavy loads ?
The dealer tech can do a scan of engine run conditions. . . ie, throttle amount, fuel use, rpms, etc.
If they see that the vehicle has been put to heavy and regular uses over and above the specified towing or use loads that may be a way they are begging off and stalling.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting to see the outcome of this. I’ve questioned the longevity of my diesel transmission too. Sometimes it balloons a shift and I still get torque converter shutter when starting off from time to time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ause I am outside the bumper to bumper warranty, though still well within the powertrain warranty. Car has 48K on it.

BBB advised me to get an attorney to negotiate with GM for a buyback or replacement. Not ready yet to commit to that cost.
I could be very wrong, but I believe a lawyer won't bill you for this if they think you have a case and will then take their fee from GM.

I vaguely remember reading on this forum that a lawyer winds up getting paid from gm directly if they win and it doesn't even come out of the part that is yours.

I am not sure about that, I could be 100% wrong, but it might be worth looking into.

I would say if they are addressing your issue and they are paying for a loaner, then as long as they get it solved, its reasonable especially if they are actually trying to improve the vehicle.

But at a certain point it is not - i.e. if you paid for a specific trim and your loaner is a lower trim etc etc, are you getting the expected use out of your car. Did they give you a diesel? If not, you are also not getting the experience you paid for, so they should make it right if a solution is too far down the road.

That being said if its not too long and they eventually fix it, I would think thats a reasonable solution.

GM refused to acknowledge my (unrelated) issue at all, which I thought was unacceptable, and because of it, I decied that after my current terrain I will not buy another GM vehicle, but hopefully you will have better results. I like to forgive, but where forgiveness is due.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it were me...6t45 transmission from Amazon or somewhere u can get a NEW one for like less than 2g. Well anyhow u cannot install that turbine shaft without rebuilding the whole transmission..... I've never heard of one failing. Torque convertor at 50k no maintenance I could see that. Well anyhow chevy will fix anything under warranty I would wait another month er so.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your in a free loaner so I would keep driving it while you wait until they fix yours.
Your racking up 110 miles a day on their vehicle, that's big mileage, your getting a free ride enjoy it. Yeah I understand it's not your car but they are taking care of you, your not paying for a rental.
When they want the loaner back without yours being fixed then I would lawyer up. Keep all your paperwork.
China flu has supply chain all screwed up, it's still slow coming back.
If they can't get or repair your trans. they will make a offer, especially when you wear out the loaner or it needs service.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your in a free loaner so I would keep driving it while you wait until they fix yours.
Your racking up 110 miles a day on their vehicle, that's big mileage, your getting a free ride enjoy it. Yeah I understand it's not your car but they are taking care of you, your not paying for a rental.
When they want the loaner back without yours being fixed then I would lawyer up. Keep all your paperwork.
China flu has supply chain all screwed up, it's still slow coming back.
If they can't get or repair your trans. they will make a offer, especially when you wear out the loaner or it needs service.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I work in IT and we are seeing products being discontinued/out of stock with no ETA because of component shortage. I'm sure every industry is seeing this. So I agree, your putting extra mileage on a car that is not yours and looks like they are going to fix it with a better part. I agree if it was me I would want my car but I also would want it fixed right. Your lowering the value of their car and not yours.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Is it just a "half-shaft" that failed? Like the CV joint (on the half-shaft)? I had one of those fail on me back in 2001/2002 on my 1.5L Mitsubishi. The boot inexplicably allowed moisture into the joint, causing it to start "clicking" on turns. I cut the boot off, cleaned and re-packed it with grease, re-covered with a "Quik-Boot". Ran 8 years like that before the joint finally gave way and all the ball bearings came flying out (LOL!). Car stopped right there!

Hard to believe you could have a failure like that on a 2018 vehicle...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
If it is the half shaft, i doubt very much that GM would fix it with a quikboot. They need to replace it with GM parts as they were designed. As i recall, didnt someone else have their repair held up due to unavailability of the part ? Humm...

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Well anyhow u cannot install that turbine shaft without rebuilding the whole transmission..... I've never heard of one failing.
The turbine shaft, also known as the transmission input shaft, is splined on both ends.
A snap ring does hold it in so the tranny has to be disassembled to replace it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sometimes it balloons a shift and I still get torque converter shutter when starting off from time to time.
I get the ballooning (very slight) infrequently on the 3-4 upshift when the car is cold.

Tom

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If it is the half shaft, i doubt very much that GM would fix it with a quikboot. They need to replace it with GM parts as they were designed. As i recall, didnt someone else have their repair held up due to unavailability of the part ? Humm...
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say it should or could be fixed with a quickboot ... just that those half shafts seem to last forever ... even after they're allegedly on their way out, so kind of surprised here.

But maybe we're talking about a totally different part?

Like this?

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I have used a few quikboots in my day, and yes, they do work well. But then i pulled and axle half-shaft and realized how easy it is, and will not mess with the QBs again. Sorry for going off track !

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get the ballooning (very slight) infrequently on the 3-4 upshift when the car is cold.

Tom
I have a gas 1.5T AWD Equinox and I have the same thing happen. When the car is cold on the 3-4 upshift it will rev to about 4,000 RPM versus the normal 2,500-3,000 RPM upshift. It might do this 2-3 times when running it through the gears but usually only once. I brought this up to the dealership and they were unable to detect it. Additionally, I get a slight vibration in the gas pedal every once in a while randomly but it also happens when taking off in the car for the first time after a cold start and passing 5 MPH. I’m not sure if that is the torque converter shutter or not.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
20 Posts
I have a 2018 Equinox AWD Diesel. Haven't serviced the transmission yet, but was debating doing the flush or a fluid change. Dealer Service Advisor advises NOT to use synthetic as it was not originally using it. Sorry to hear about your issue. It makes me think mine is going to fail no matter what. I have 58K on it and drive it probably as much as or a little more than you do, although the start of the pandemic had me laid off until last month. Was your vehicle the diesel or gas engine? I'd contact your local consumer action tv station or radio station to put you on the airwaves. Here in my market (Wash DC Metro) there was a story about an Bolt EV that caught fire for no reason parked at the owner's home and GM slow to act. No big auto company wants bad publicity.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why not synthetic?

·
Registered
85 Posts
ACDelco DEXRON-VI Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is the most recent release in the well-established DEXRON series of automotive transmission fluids. It provides more consistent shift performance, even in extreme conditions, and degrades less over time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts