GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too have troubles with my 2018 Equinox Premier. Have had alignment done three times in 36k miles. First tires lasted to 22k miles. Second set is Falken all season. Rotate every 5 k miles. Rear set worn to wear bars in 15k miles. The car is absolutely squirlly on snowy roads regardless of position of awd switch. It acts like front is out of sync with rear drive. I cant blame the tires as I have been using these on my other vehicles with great wear including my 2500HD 4x4. I have never owned a vehicle that handled so poorly on snow, ever, and I have been driving these conditions every winter for over 50 years. I am seriously considering getting rid of the car. It is nice in every way but this! It is always the rear tires that wear the worst.

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
465 Posts
Couple of things come to mind, first to make sure that your not in AWD all the time no matter what your selector switch says, get all 4 wheels off the ground either on a lift or jackstands and test. Secondly on those wheel alignments, just front wheel alignment or a 4 wheel alignment? I strongly suggest the latter with the rear tires wearing out so soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of things come to mind, first to make sure that your not in AWD all the time no matter what your selector switch says, get all 4 wheels off the ground either on a lift or jackstands and test. Secondly on those wheel alignments, just front wheel alignment or a 4 wheel alignment? I strongly suggest the latter with the rear tires wearing out so soon.
The rear tires wear evenly across the tire to the point of being nearly slicks, but yes, I have had 4 wheel alignment. As for the switch, I have not tried taking all wheels off the ground to see. Thanks for the reply. It is a very nice vehicle other than that and the terrible performance on snow

·
Registered
765 Posts
I too have troubles with my 2018 Equinox Premier. Have had alignment done three times in 36k miles. First tires lasted to 22k miles. Second set is Falken all season. Rotate every 5 k miles. Rear set worn to wear bars in 15k miles. The car is absolutely squirlly on snowy roads regardless of position of awd switch. It acts like front is out of sync with rear drive. I cant blame the tires as I have been using these on my other vehicles with great wear including my 2500HD 4x4. I have never owned a vehicle that handled so poorly on snow, ever, and I have been driving these conditions every winter for over 50 years. I am seriously considering getting rid of the car. It is nice in every way but this! It is always the rear tires that wear the worst.
The AWD in the Equinox is not a "locker", so the front will be out of sync with the rear until it senses slip, and then it will engage the rear to compensate for the loss of traction in the front.

My 2015 does not have switchable AWD like the 2018+, but it will get sideways when turning in snow as the AWD "digs in" and then it straightens out and goes along just fine. It isn't as sure-footed as my "real" 4WD SUV was in the snow but it is still adequate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The AWD in the Equinox is not a "locker", so the front will be out of sync with the rear until it senses slip, and then it will engage the rear to compensate for the loss of traction in the front.

My 2015 does not have switchable AWD like the 2018+, but it will get sideways when turning in snow as the AWD "digs in" and then it straightens out and goes along just fine. It isn't as sure-footed as my "real" 4WD SUV was in the snow but it is still adequate.
It seems to slip around on snowy roads as if there are ruts in the road. It is very unnerving and I not comfortable driving it faster than about 35 mph because of it. It is super on dry pavement.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It seems to slip around on snowy roads as if there are ruts in the road. It is very unnerving and I not comfortable driving it faster than about 35 mph because of it. It is super on dry pavement.
35mph on snow covered roads is about the limit you really want to go anyway on all-season tires. My Equinox will start to get squirmy as well if I push it any faster than 35mph on snow covered roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
35mph on snow covered roads is about the limit you really want to go anyway on all-season tires. My Equinox will start to get squirmy as well if I push it any faster than 35mph on snow covered roads.
I agree however I have driven for many seasons and this car is the only car I have ever been afraid to drive on snowy roads. It is just plain squirlly and, I believe, not a safe car to navigate those conditions.

·
Registered
2019 Equinox LS 2015 Impala 2LT 2002 GMC1/2t 4x4 1957 Truck Street Rod
55 Posts
I'll share my experience on our 2019 Equinox. (-and two other 2018/2019's with same results)
It turned out to be that the "rear wheel toe" adjustment was out of spec., mostly on one side. I hate to question the "quality" of some wheel alignment services, but my personal experience has been to avoid the popular "wheel alignment specials" sold in too many places. From here on, I will only take mine to a shop whose only business is wheel alignment.

Our 2019 was absolutely the worst car I ever drove on snowy/icy/slick winter roads, even with brand new Blizzak tires. The car only had about 5000 miles on it, so I figured I would just be wasting money on having the wheel alignment. OMG was I ever WRONG!! It is now the great winter car I had expected it to be. One of the co-owners of the alignment shop said his father had the exact same experience with his car, and also one of my nephews.

So even though you had an alignment done,,,, I really have to wonder.

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts