GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whining sound while accelerating when usually happens when I am at 2RPMs it starts to not whine if going 65 on the freeway. Until I get up to that speed it will whine, I try not to accelerate hard at all and just cruise up to the speed that I need so the whine doesn’t happen but no such luck. I don’t think this is normal but I am also not familiar with a turbo-diesel. I was told from a used dealership mechanic that it was the exhaust gasket to make that noise? It doesn’t make that sound while parked and idling nor does it sound like my exhaust when parked/idling. I haven’t checked tossing it into neutral and revving the engine to see if the whine happens. Anyone possibly know of what that sound might be from or whether it is normal?
Update: it does not whine when revving the engine in neutral or park.

· Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L Ecotec LEA 125k Miles
133 Posts
I don't have terrain experience with turbos. However other large trucks have that whining sound. The turbo may not contribute much at low rpms so it doesn't make noise.

Is this vehicle new to you?

· Registered
71 Posts
I don't have terrain experience with turbos. However other large trucks have that whining sound. The turbo may not contribute much at low rpms so it doesn't make noise.

Is this vehicle new to you?
You might want to check the intake air line from the filter to the turbo, make sure all connections (clamps) are tight, if everything is good enjoy your diesel singing to you. Also no load on motor in neutral or park it will not make any whistle. Almost no turbo noise from mine wish it made more noise Love that turbo whistle....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts