GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find some actual footages of the 2018 AWD in the snow or when taken on rocky/muddy off-road test. Haven't found anything. Or maybe I am 'blind' or something.
Did you see anything on YT or other platforms?

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
The Equinox is not designed to be a rocky/muddy off-road vehicle, so the only videos that you would be apt to see would be with them being pulled out of a ditch when the driver over-drove his vehicles for the conditions.

If you were looking for that capability, then you made the wrong purchase. A Trail-rated Jeep vehicle would have better served you desires, or a 4WD truck.

As far as driving in the snow, with snow tires, or aggressive all-season tires, these vehicles can get you out on the road in some snowy conditions that you probably shouldn't be driving on, and allow you to go "off-road" and get pulled out of a ditch by a 4WD tow truck. Bring along a camera to get some "actual footage".

Sorry...these vehicles are not meant to be true off-road vehicles.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Equinox is not designed to be a rocky/muddy off-road vehicle, so the only videos that you would be apt to see would be with them being pulled out of a ditch when the driver over-drove his vehicles for the conditions.

If you were looking for that capability, then you made the wrong purchase. A Trail-rated Jeep vehicle would have better served you desires, or a 4WD truck.

As far as driving in the snow, with snow tires, or aggressive all-season tires, these vehicles can get you out on the road in some snowy conditions that you probably shouldn't be driving on, and allow you to go "off-road" and get pulled out of a ditch by a 4WD tow truck. Bring along a camera to get some "actual footage".

Sorry...these vehicles are not meant to be true off-road vehicles.
I know that :)
I leased the Equinox for other reasons. I have been curious, though, how they perform in the snow (yes, that was one of those reasons - the town I live in NJ has a few 'slopes' and poor snow management).

Oh, and I did not say anything you included in your reply.
- I was not looking for off-road / rocky-terrain-driving capabilities
- I made the right purchase

And I am still curious :)

·
Read Only
349 Posts
They may not be rock climbers, but they are very capable off road and in inclement weather. They may not have the greatest ground clearance, but they do have quite a bit of suspension travel. The V6 has more than enough power to get the job done.

There have been a few times that I have had water over the hood of my ' 10 Terrain. Mainly in the spring when the snow melts.

A little trick when you go have a little fun is to dissable the Traction Control and StabiliTrak. Simply hold the TC button for about 6 seconds and both will dissable.

I thought I had some video of a typical rainy day and what my road turns into. If I can find it I'll post a link.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

This was in your first sentence.
"trying to find some actual footages of the 2018 AWD in the snow or when taken on rocky/muddy off-road test"

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
There have been a few times that I have had water over the hood of my ' 10 Terrain. Mainly in the spring when the snow melts.

Wow. that I would love to see. How did you keep the water from being sucked into the engine through the air cleaner ?

I guess I take back my comments - these are much more trail-rated than the Jeeps ! GM is missing the mark by not promoting this capability. :surprise:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would be worried about the sensors and all the electrical wirings when covering the engine block with water even in the diesel.

In another life I remember travelling in diesels fitted with snorkels for the air intake and having the engine fully submerged.

Not sure if this is doable now.

·
Read Only
349 Posts
How did you keep the water from being sucked into the engine through the air cleaner ?
I dont think I was in it long enough.

There is a spot on my "road" that had a nice water hole in it. I use the term "road" because technically it is, but the county doesnt maintain it and it is closer to a two track than a road.

The water hole is as wide as the road, about 10' across and about 15' - 20' in length. In its worst condition it will be 20" - 24" deep in the center. Going at a good clip the Terrain will start pushing some of that water with its flat front end and by the time you get to the center; up over the hood it goes.

It is quite fun, but I have been filling the hole in every chance I get. I dont really want to temp fate going to work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know that :)
I leased the Equinox for other reasons. I have been curious, though, how they perform in the snow (yes, that was one of those reasons - the town I live in NJ has a few 'slopes' and poor snow management).

- I made the right purchase

And I am still curious :)
I was also worried when I traded up to the 18 that the AWD system might not be as effective as the older versions.

I worried for nothing. A week after I got it, we had a major snowstorm. I pulled into work and got stuck in snow that was up to the door bottoms. Yes, I forgot we had to "activate" AWD unlike my 2015. I hit the button and broke free easily. And this is with the stock Michelin Premier tires.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I dont think I was in it long enough.

There is a spot on my "road" that had a nice water hole in it. I use the term "road" because technically it is, but the county doesnt maintain it and it is closer to a two track than a road.

The water hole is as wide as the road, about 10' across and about 15' - 20' in length. In its worst condition it will be 20" - 24" deep in the center. Going at a good clip the Terrain will start pushing some of that water with its flat front end and by the time you get to the center; up over the hood it goes.

It is quite fun, but I have been filling the hole in every chance I get. I dont really want to temp fate going to work.
AHHH! Now I understand...the "bow wave" of water came up over the hood, rather than the entire vehicle being in water that exceeded the height of the hood! My misunderstanding of my first reading of your comment. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
AHHH! Now I understand...the "bow wave" of water came up over the hood,.

I wondered about that. A car can kick up a big bow wave.
Here's a picture of my wife in Texas.
The water was not deep but it can kick up a good wave in front, even with a motorcycle.

If the water has enough depth or velocity, it's best to turn around :)

For some reason the pictures keep disappearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I beg to differ. I will agree that the Equinox isn’t a true off roader thanks to a unibody chassis, but it does have a really good AWD system, lots of low end torque and 7.9 inches of ground clearance(if you have a 2018+ AWD). I’ve taken my 2018 LT AWD (with the 1.5T) through rutted boggy dirt roads, muddy fields, down into river beds and through low flowing streams and it has done just fine without breaking a sweat. I will add that I was shopping for a more capable off roader like a Jeep Compass but ended up with an Equinox and couldn’t be happier, thanks to stellar handling on road. I will say that the approach and departure angles aren’t great: I scraped my rear bumper on a log of wood I was trying to clamber over, and the fact that it doesn’t have a locking differential (Seriously Chevy, the Trailblazer has one for heavens sake) means I wouldn’t take it on anything too extreme. As long as you know it’s shortcomings and respect them, it will treat you well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You asked so I provided.
This was me taking my 2018 AWD LT on ‘hiking and ATV only’ trails in NE Iowa at 7am when there was no one around. The trail looks a lot steeper than in the picture and there were drops, ruts, slippery sections and pretty steep and narrow slopes. The Equinox did just fine and didn’t scrape its bottom even once(even I was surprised) As long as you know the minimum ground clearance (7.9 inches) and where that point is(catalytic converter under the rear tires/center differential ), ensure you navigate accordingly to avoid those spots, and use a spotter, you should be fine. AT tires would have been helpful, I had to stop and clear out some sharper rocks out of my path, my all seasons would have probably gotten ripped up if I hadn’t been careful.
P.S: I was aware of the potential for my car to get seriously damaged and was prepared for that possibility. If you don’t want/can’t afford that risk, I highly recommend not doing what I did.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
226 Posts
My 2018 AWD 2.0t LT2 does great off-road. The ground clearance lacks some, but you have to be aware of what you car can and can't do.
The other weak thing is tires. I'm running Goodyear Wranglers. They are a true 4 ply tire. They take the rocks ok, they do great in sand, water, snow, etc. With the tread compounds they don't crack or chip in rough rocks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have done a lot of driving on snow and ice. It is boring!

The traction control and stability software keep you straight and in control most of the time. Even hard to kick out the rear with the parking brake.
Only real danger seems to be going into a corner too fast (understeer) or under estimating the braking distance.

It gets my Honda Civic, Ice Track Racer to the events every weekend .

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am comfortable with 60mph travel on certain snow conditions. I've plowed mountain roads and consider myself to be moderately competent with winter driving. The 2019 Redline with the factory Hankook tires even with all 4 wheels engaged never inspired confidence. Worse yet, I got the car stuck in a dooryard in 6" of snow - it was humiliating.
We recently had Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires mounted - no snow yet to try it, but I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You wrote that like it's a bad thing. You must be young. 🙂
I am old enough to collect Social Security. I have been racing cars since my 20s. (Driving/Racing on snow and Ice is exciting. (More so on the track with proper equipment.) It is just the Equinox Traction control and Stability Control that makes it a bit boring... but OK to be safe on the road.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.