GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2018+ AWD button leave on?

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Digmor Crusher 
#1 ·
Is it harmful to the vehicle to leave it in awd all the time? I just recently bought a 2020 equinox and it has the button to place it in awd. But will it hurt the vehicle to just leave awd on in case of a slip like most vehicles are?

#3 ·
The ability to turn AWD off is a plus in my opinion; not only are less components turning/wearing, but fuel efficiency is improved when turned off.

If you are anticipating a reduced traction situation, by all means, turn it on. Otherwise there's no good reason to be driving around all of the time with it engaged.

#4 ·
My 'nox is full time AWD but others in my fleet are selectable. I leave my Traverse in FWD but do select AWD every so often for a few miles so system fluids get circulated inside through their bearings and passages. In the Traverse there's a lot of wheel spin when having to hammer down to get out into traffic so putting it into AWD is very helpful also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.