GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw an article about the 2017 Trax facelift. (C&D 2017 Trax) I have a feeling this is the new family face for Chevy's upcoming SUV's, including the Equinox. Anyone else have the same feeling?

Gotta say I really like this look. Much more aggressive than the current generation. I kind of wish they had done something similar for the 2016 Equinox update. I wouldn't be disappointed if the 3rd Gen Equinox looks similar.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. . .

The latest "design cue" for many of the cars from car makers is what I call the "gape-mouthed grille". A large and low gaping hole of a grille. I"m not a fan of that. I think it will quickly become dated looking and over done trying to look like some super car.

The rest of it looks good.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JayTee2014 said:
I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. . .
Absolutely. Any design is.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
the 2016 Nox's grille has already begun to morph into the 2017s general shape... I think...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. 2016 is somewhere between the 2 designs. Another hint they are moving the Equinox toward the full Trax look in the 3rd gen?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea look at the 2014 Impala and the 2016 malibu. If I recall the 14 impala was the first to kick off the new trend. To me the two grills on the Trax look like a 2016 malibu grills just stretch vertically. Like someone took the image, stretched it, and said 'good job design team!'

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwia0MTW4_fKAhVD4SYKHY1kC4IQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topspeed.com%2Fcars%2Fchevrolet%2F2016-chevrolet-malibu-ar167224.html&psig=AFQjCNEGUjV9cpc5l0rvet3XBlR-m50sMg&ust=1455557310366781

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Besides the Trax redesign. . . it needs the 2.0L turbo or, at least, the 2.5L for an "SS" version.

Although, the "new" 1.4L will be up 15HP at 153 HP and more torque @ 177lb/ft. So that might help IF it is used in the Trax.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/jun/innovation/powertrain/0624-cruze-powertrain.html

We looked at the Buick Encore a couple of times drove it twice plus the Cruze with the 1.4L. Just not enough umph.

The old Pontiac Vibe had more get up and go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
The latest "design cue" for many of the cars from car makers is what I call the "gape-mouthed grille". A large and low gaping hole of a grille. I"m not a fan of that. I think it will quickly become dated looking and over done trying to look like some super car.
I Know what you mean. I call it the "angry face". Every car has to have one now. I'm getting tired of the look. That's part of why I like the Nox so much. The front doesn't look like all the others.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Well. . . this is the direction they seem to be going.

Note the 2016 Cruze and 2017 Cruze hatchback below:

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
If Chevy is going to the "angry face" now, I guess it just means they are late to the party. Everyone else has been doing it. If I can't talk my wife out of her '14 LTZ, then when it's my turn to buy I'll probably look for a '15, or no later than a '16.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I am not a fan either, but that is the direction they all are going.

"Angry Face". . . lol I call it gape mouthed. But Angry Face is a good description too. I think they are going for a kind of menacing look which is trying to imply power.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always thought the design language they are currently phasing out was a bit soft. Don't know why but I likened it to a guppy. A bit fish faced. I can live with it but I never really loved it. The new language is certainly much sharper and I get the "Angry Face" reference (I think the projector lamps give it beady eyes) but I still like it a lot. Maybe I can relate more to the Angry Face :mad:

·
Registered
196 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
"Angry Face". . . lol I call it gape mouthed. But Angry Face is a good description too. I think they are going for a kind of menacing look which is trying to imply power.
Exactly. The best example is the new Corolla. It was the definition of boring commuter car. So now they gave it the giant gaping angry face and new TV Ads and now we're supposed to see it in a whole new light, when I'm pretty sure it's the same boring car. I've seen some Lexus models with the 'over the top' giant mouth also. I don't like that look at all. (Apologies to anyone who has one of these new Lexi or Corolla).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts