GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2017 Terrain 3.6 FWD w/45K. One thing i noticed is the gas mileage is terrible. Sometimes i get this random chime when driving but all seat belts are clicked in. Also maybe the trans seems to be going thru the shifts funny. also when i am coasting it feels like something is making it slow down more. Read something about this on another post .Anyone have any issues to give me a heads up on going forward? Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
What is your gas mileage? I have a 2015 3.6 AWD with 58,000 miles on it and find the mileage to be very respectable. Around town with stop and go is 17mpg, all highway is 28mpg. Mixed driving for me is 21mpg. Coasting in mine has always exhibited a behavior where it seems to slow down more than other cars I have owned. It is just normal as far as I am concerned. Shifting can be less than elegant at times. All depends on the situation. Again, it seems normal to me after driving the vehicle now for over 5 years.

Not sure what the random chime would be...are there any lights or messages in the gauge cluster that pop up at the same time as the chime?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
The random chime could be if something is left on the passenger seat and it triggers the seat belt not fastened. There was one other thing that would trigger that in our 2015 Equinox LTZ and I forger what it was. I think someone found that an intermittent hood switch connection caused a chime as well yet no light on the DIC about "hood open".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your gas mileage? I have a 2015 3.6 AWD with 58,000 miles on it and find the mileage to be very respectable. Around town with stop and go is 17mpg, all highway is 28mpg. Mixed driving for me is 21mpg. Coasting in mine has always exhibited a behavior where it seems to slow down more than other cars I have owned. It is just normal as far as I am concerned. Shifting can be less than elegant at times. All depends on the situation. Again, it seems normal to me after driving the vehicle now for over 5 years.

Not sure what the random chime would be...are there any lights or messages in the gauge cluster that pop up at the same time as the chime?
Yeah i guess MPG about the same around town. I will going on a road trip next week so i will how the highway MPG is. I guess i am just alot of driving and not realizing it. The slowing down when coasting is kind of weird

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I usually get 21 MPG in town and 27 on the highway, the size of your right foot makes a big difference.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level, when was it changed last?
These transmissions have very few problems, mine shifts great.

Edited previous information:
Equinox only available in 2017 with V-6 in AWD, not Terrain.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yeah i guess MPG about the same around town. I will going on a road trip next week so i will how the highway MPG is. I guess i am just alot of driving and not realizing it. The slowing down when coasting is kind of weird
When it slows down is it downshifting, watch the needle on the tach.
Mind does that to, I guess I'm just used to it.
I would follow up on draining and refilling the trans fluid, that's pretty important on these.

The chime will go off if you have something on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually get 21 MPG in town and 27 on the highway, the size of your right foot makes a big difference.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level, when was it changed last?
These transmissions have very few problems, mine shifts great.
I thought the 3.6L V-6 was only available in AWD in the 2017 Terrains.
Mine is FWD. The dealer i bought from i did take it back and they did a pit stop on it. Oil change .top off fluids. When i bought it i noticed the coolant bottle was low. And the oil was a little low to. I was like WTF. I thought they would check all these things before just washing it and putting it on the lot. My foot is not that big..lol i assumed they checked the trans fluid with the pit stop but i will check myself

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have a 2015 AWD....

- chimes if you leave your phone laying in the passenger seat
- as others have stated, downshifts as you slow down
- odd shifting....this transmission for sure doesn’t have the best programming
- MPG - 17-28, usually closer to 21-22...when I drive it is 17-19, when my wife drives it is 22-24, pure highway keeping it under 70 gives upper 20s

·
Registered
119 Posts
We have a 2015 AWD....

• chimes if you leave your phone laying in the passenger seat
  • as others have stated, downshifts as you slow down
  • odd shifting....this transmission for sure doesn’t have the best programming
  • MPG - 17-28, usually closer to 21-22...when I drive it is 17-19, when my wife drives it is 22-24, pure highway keeping it under 70 gives upper 20s
Same as your driving stats

·
Registered
40 Posts
All the above stated is normal. Downshifting coming to a light is you ease up on the throttle. I get 16 mpg in town with 3.6 and AWD. Lots of stop lights on my 6 mile one way commute. Just returned from a 800 mile road trip at 24.5mpg. Usually around 82 miles per hour.
You have a solid car and motor. Do not worry. Enjoy and enjoy the power you have when needed.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Luv the 75 limits in Az, 85 outside of Phoenix and Tucson is the norm.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Bigger motor will have more engine braking in a lighter vehicle. Especially noticeable if your used to driving 4 cyl. vehicles.
Just found a '16 3.6 AWD w/40k miles for my daughter in law. Hard to find any 3.6 ones, the last of the good ones IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts