GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Looking for a 2017 Terrain maybe. Have conflicting reports on which motor is better the 4 cylinder or the V6. Amy other info as well would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Do a little reading on the forum and for the size and weight of the Terrain and Equinox, the V-6 is the better choice.
The 3.6L is pretty much bullet proof and comes with a heavy duty transmission and a long list of upgrades.
l have seen many 4 cyl forum members post that they wish they got the V-6.
Your call.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The majority of engine complaints on here are 2.4 related, not so much with the late model 3.6 engine.
The money you save on gas with the 2.4 you better be large return investing so you can pay for repairs versus getting the 3.6 .

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
147K miles on my ‘15 Equinox V6 so far with no issues…I personally wouldn’t consider buying the 4 cylinder mainly for its reliability issues, but I must admit I went with the V6 for its 300+ HP!

Reactions: jackass

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Hey

Looking for a 2017 Terrain maybe. Have conflicting reports on which motor is better the 4 cylinder or the V6. Amy other info as well would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Well. . my first question would be. . . you have (had?) a 2.4L in your 2016. Ever determine what the "White smoke" and "bubbling" in the coolant was?

Most here would say get the 3.6L V6. The fuel efficiency has been better than GM specified for me.

Just going by what I recall after almost 8 years here the 2.4L problems are frozen PCV system with engine main seal blow out causing instant oil loss and engine damage. . . . oil consumption due to inadequate piston ring design and coating, and several other issues. There were one or two here who went long miles with a 2.4L engine . . . but it was only with early oil changes and many maintenance items and repairs.

Further. . if you have any doubts. .. view through these 426 posts and see how many are about issues:

LINK: - Search results for query: 2.4L doing

·
Registered
272 Posts
There was something like a $1500.00 price bump for the 3.6 V6 in 2016 when I dumped my 2014 2.4 that was adding gas to the oil with less than 20,000 miles. Best $1500.00 spent to get the more powerful & RELIABLE engine and heavier transmission. Average local driving for me on summer gas is just over 20 MPG which is a lot of in town driving and highway at 70 MPH. If I drove more highway at 55-60, it would help my MPG a lot. I'm only at 36,000 miles as I use my Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4X4 as my daily driver with a 2.7 V6 with Twin Turbos. That also gets about the same MPG IF I stay out of the turbo boost. The Equinox is so much more practical when going shopping as it is so much easier to park than the big ol truck. The Equinox & Terrain vehicles have a lot of room in the back for both people and baggage.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
Like @BandDirector , my 2011 is closing in on 170,000 miles and no real problems (yet). Yeah, I've got a wheel speed sensor and/or hub I need to replace, but that's par for the course at this point. Other than that, just a $35 Purge Valve and the rest is just regular maintenance items: 1 battery (~$100), 4 tires ($700), brake pads on all 4 wheels ($100?), 24 quarts of transmission fluid (~$100), and about 42 oil changes (@ ~ $15/each).

Would I purchase a 2017 2.4L Equinox or Terrain? It would depend on the deal, I guess. I mean ... if it was given to me, I'd surely take it, so what would the price difference have to be between comparable 2017 2.4L and 3.6L Equinox/Terrains? Off the top of my head ... probably at least $5,000 less for the 2.4L ... to give me a hedge against all the bad stuff that might happen.

But you know what (??) ... for every V6 Equinox/Terrain I see out on the roads, I see probably 50+ I4's. And every time I run across an owner of one and ask them if they've had any problems, they always say "no ... no problems!" ... so they can't all be bad. And a 2017 would be a full 4 model years removed from the "hot zone" of 2010-2013, so you would think GM would've corrected all the problems by then ... you'd think ...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have 62,000 miles on my 2015 V6 Equinox. Maintenance has been:

1 Battery
1 blower motor
OEM Tires replaced at 42,000 miles
Replaced leaking rear hatch struts
Rear rotors and pads once
Front rotors twice (first time under warranty, the 2nd time at my expense)
Front pads once
Purge valve
Drain/refill transmission fluid
Drain/refill rear differential
Oil/filter changes (11 so far)
Cabin air filter twice per year
Engine air filter annually
A few rear wiper blades and a replacement rear wiper blade cover
A few sets of front wipers

Biggest upcoming expense will be getting the rear lower control arms replaced. They are rusting (driver's side is severely corroded/cracked/flaking, passenger side has surface rust but replacing it anyway.) I have GM Genuine replacements in transit and will be having a local independent shop remove the old ones and install the new ones. I am just not set up here at home to do that kind of job, unfortunately. $180 total for both arms shipped, $400 for install and 4-wheel alignment afterwards. Not pleased that they rusted so quickly on a 6.5 year old vehicle, but stuff happens as cars get older.

I saw a figure one time that GM put out. They said the take rate on the V6 Equinox/Terrain was only 20%. The one I bought had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 5 months before I purchased it (and I had been watching it for at least 2 months on their website before finally driving over to look at it.) Got 20% off of MSRP since it was "aged inventory". Those days are over hahahahaha.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
On my 2013 3.6.
Im nearing 104,000.

Items I replaced because they failed.
2 batteries- changed myself
1 water pump- changed myself
1 vent actuator- changed myself
1 tailgate exterior switch- changed myself (thanks to wifes nails tearing the rubber shield)
1 PCV purge valve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my 2013 3.6.
Im nearing 104,000.

Items I replaced because they failed.
2 batteries- changed myself
1 water pump- changed myself
1 vent actuator- changed myself
1 tailgate exterior switch- changed myself (thanks to wifes nails tearing the rubber shield)
1 PCV purge valve
Thank your.
What were your water pump and vent actuator symptoms?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hmmm, my '16 3.6 is at 80k miles now has had zero issues, knock on wood. Brakes, tires, battery, filters and fluid service are normal maintenance. No issues other than the dealer performing a center stack software update when it was new.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the 3.6 all day.
Something I found out about my 2016 2.4l AWD Equinox LS is there is no pcv valve. There is apparently a pressure release valve somewhere else.
Anyway thank you all so much

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 62,000 miles on my 2015 V6 Equinox. Maintenance has been:

1 Battery
1 blower motor
OEM Tires replaced at 42,000 miles
Replaced leaking rear hatch struts
Rear rotors and pads once
Front rotors twice (first time under warranty, the 2nd time at my expense)
Front pads once
Purge valve
Drain/refill transmission fluid
Drain/refill rear differential
Oil/filter changes (11 so far)
Cabin air filter twice per year
Engine air filter annually
A few rear wiper blades and a replacement rear wiper blade cover
A few sets of front wipers

Biggest upcoming expense will be getting the rear lower control arms replaced. They are rusting (driver's side is severely corroded/cracked/flaking, passenger side has surface rust but replacing it anyway.) I have GM Genuine replacements in transit and will be having a local independent shop remove the old ones and install the new ones. I am just not set up here at home to do that kind of job, unfortunately. $180 total for both arms shipped, $400 for install and 4-wheel alignment afterwards. Not pleased that they rusted so quickly on a 6.5 year old vehicle, but stuff happens as cars get older.

I saw a figure one time that GM put out. They said the take rate on the V6 Equinox/Terrain was only 20%. The one I bought had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 5 months before I purchased it (and I had been watching it for at least 2 months on their website before finally driving over to look at it.) Got 20% off of MSRP since it was "aged inventory". Those days are over hahahahaha.
Not ce

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
The way prices are now on new or used vehicles I almost feel we stole the 2019 Acadia we bought. 24.5% off MSRP with GM, Dealer discount and a paltry $123 in GM Card money. $30,779 or $10,006 off of $40,785.

I thought it was a great deal then. Now I could trade it and get that much. I do think about it, however. . . . there is no inventory out there that strikes our fancy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'll be the first 2017 2.4L reply, I guess. Just over 4 yrs old now, but only 40K kms, and not a single issue. Only cost so far was air/oil filters, oil changes and a vented oil fill cover. The 2.4 L does everything you want for a driving around town running errands vehicle and is great on gas. That said, I would pick the V6 for the extra power when needed.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We test drove a '16 2.4 AWD before buying the '16 3.6 . Hot day, A/C on and the 2.4 AWD couldn't get out of it's own way pulling out into traffic. My wife was driving and I asked her is it nailed and she said it's been LOL. We had recently sold her '07 Mustang GT 3 pedal car so she's not your average female driver.

• Haha
Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
I'll be the first 2017 2.4L reply, I guess. Just over 4 yrs old now, but only 40K kms, and not a single issue. Only cost so far was air/oil filters, oil changes and a vented oil fill cover. The 2.4 L does everything you want for a driving around town running errands vehicle and is great on gas. That said, I would pick the V6 for the extra power when needed.
How many miles on that 2.4L?

BTW: You should consider adding a Signature with your vehicle info by clicking on your Avatar icon at the top right corner, then click on "Account Settings", then "Signature". You can cut/paste then modify mine if you like, then try to keep it up to date (if you put the mileage in there). Come to think of it, I need to update mine right now!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well. . my first question would be. . . you have (had?) a 2.4L in your 2016. Ever determine what the "White smoke" and "bubbling" in the coolant was?

Most here would say get the 3.6L V6. The fuel efficiency has been better than GM specified for me.

Just going by what I recall after almost 8 years here the 2.4L problems are frozen PCV system with engine main seal blow out causing instant oil loss and engine damage. . . . oil consumption due to inadequate piston ring design and coating, and several other issues. There were one or two here who went long miles with a 2.4L engine . . . but it was only with early oil changes and many maintenance items and repairs.

Further. . if you have any doubts. .. view through these 426 posts and see how many are about issues:

LINK: - Search results for query: 2.4L doing
Hey thanks. The smoke stopped for some reason. I burped the coolant system and haven't seen bubbles return. Also new rad cap and overfill cap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts