GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket hidden hitch? I want to put a trailer hitch on but want it to be hidden where I can pop the cover on and off when I need to use it.

TIA

·
Registered
158 Posts
Make sure you really want it because they need to remove the entire rear bumper cover to put it on....I got one from GMC but I can only think even an after market will need to be put on the same way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Remove the bumper cover? I'm glad we didn't go for the hidden OEM one then. We went aftermarket since we wanted a 2" to improve our selection options in bike racks, we have no desire/need to actually tow. Our cover doesn't fit anymore, but we knew that going into it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed a Draw-tite hitch a few days ago. For my bike rack and cargo rack from the Trailblazer I used to have. And then unexpectedly I rented a u-haul trailer to take a washer and dryer to storage. The v6 pulled it very nicely. Unfortunately you cannot hide it. But the bars holding it on are hidden. Looks nice to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to still use the cover plus they gave me the hitch and installed it free so.....why not.
So if I purchase a dealer installed/oem hitch receiver I would be able to put the cover on and take it of whenever I want to use it instead of having it stick out snd be an eye sore?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just installed a Draw-tite hitch a few days ago. For my bike rack and cargo rack from the Trailblazer I used to have. And then unexpectedly I rented a u-haul trailer to take a washer and dryer to storage. The v6 pulled it very nicely. Unfortunately you cannot hide it. But the bars holding it on are hidden. Looks nice to me. View attachment 17047 View attachment 17048 View attachment 17049
Looks nice. However, I prefer the hitch receiver to be covered up when not in use. I’m assuming that was the whole purpose GM put the cover there. But than again I’m assuming and everyone knows what happens when you assume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The factory oem hitch is only 1.25 inch receiver. Because I want to use the cargo carrier I went with 2 inch and the one I went with has a tongue weight of 675 lbs while the small one that can be hidden is only 350 lb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only want to use it for a bike rack and maybe a cargo carrier just in case I need to put something like a lawnmower, pressure washer, or a grill if I need to go to a cook out. I also have a pig roaster that would like to take with me every now and than to friends houses “tired of hosting all the time” that measures 60L x 25w x 39h

·
Registered
158 Posts
The factory oem hitch is only 1.25 inch receiver. Because I want to use the cargo carrier I went with 2 inch and the one I went with has a tongue weight of 675 lbs while the small one that can be hidden is only 350 lb.
The Dealer installed GMC receiver hitch is indeed 2" as is my bike rack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So if I purchase a dealer installed/oem hitch receiver I would be able to put the cover on and take it of whenever I want to use it instead of having it stick out snd be an eye sore?
I have the OEM hitch receiver installed on my 2015 Equinox, and there is no way the cover would be able to cover it. I have seen solutions where owners will cut a square hole in the cover to go around the receiver to allow for the cover to be placed back in place, leaving only the receiver visible, but the hitch receiver itself sticks out far enough that the cover would not go on over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the OEM hitch receiver installed on my 2015 Equinox, and there is no way the cover would be able to cover it. I have seen solutions where owners will cut a square hole in the cover to go around the receiver to allow for the cover to be placed back in place, leaving only the receiver visible, but the hitch receiver itself sticks out far enough that the cover would not go on over it.
That's what I'm got to do eventually. But I don't mind the hitch sticking out. I have always had one on the trucks I have had. So it's normal for me to have it showing. It's actually very low profile and looks nicer compared to a truck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Going on a bike ride this morning. This rack can hold 3 bikes.
Same exact setup we have on our '15 Terrain. Pretty sure same hitch and looks to be the exact same bike rack we have.

The Dealer installed GMC receiver hitch is indeed 2" as is my bike rack.
I don't recall that being true? We went aftermarket specifically because the OEM one was 1.25". Our '08 Equinox had the OEM hitch and it was a 1.25" as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wanted to recommend part number 118264 from Tekonsha if you ever want the trailer light wires. No cutting or unscrewing required. Plugs into the factory trailer light connection located at the back. Make sure you have the connection first 😊 They are already fused under the hood and are independent from the tail lights. Just in case a fuse is blown from the trailer. It's on its own trailer circuit. Just search the part number on Google or Amazon $15

I just keep it bundled up in a hole and when I need it. I just let it hang out the back door. Closing it does not harm the wires. Quick and easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts