GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes equinox with 96k miles on it just started making this awful whine sound. It does not get louder or seem to change with rpm. I immediately thought it was the tensioner pulley cause thats where it seems to come from but now im not sure. I cannot get home to remove the belt and see if it still makes the sound until monday. I really dont want it to be a water pump sound. It dont run hot or leak anything. And the actual motor has no knocks or rattles. I made a video but it wont let me upload it. Says its to long at only 10 seconds. Its a whine from the passenger side.

· Registered
238 Posts
Possibly, but I doubt it, the belt tensioner pulley is going bad? I have replaced the belt and tensioner on my 2011 Terrain twice. It is very easy to do if you have two people. But again that is just a guess on my part.

· Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
And spin all the pulleys and wobble them looking for play in the bearings or noises. Should be no play or sounds.

Reactions: Jakebite

· Registered
5 Posts
If the frequency (speed) of the sound does not change with engine RPM (but does change with road speed), then the problem in not in the engine. It would be after the transmission. More than likely, the transfer case is failing. Ours went bad on our 2013 Equinox at 43,000 miles. Expensive fix, $2800. plus a 9 month wait for the part (for us). The dealer can diagnose this. If it fails, the car could come to an abrupt halt & possibly cause an accident. I spoke with several dealers. This failure was common because of a manufacturing defect & requires replacement, not repair. Transfer cases were not available nationwide, from fall 2021 to about May 2022. Do not buy a used one, as they can seem good, then abruptly go bad.

· Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2017 'nox 4cyl AWD and I've been part of this forum for about three years. This is the first ever issue of any kind that I've heard about the 2017. Mine has about 87K and I've off-roaded with it nearly every weekend since I got it. She came from the Midwest yet had almost zero rust on the undercarriage. I did have to replace the rotors and one of the front bearing assemblies, but that's basic maintenance stuff and very affordable. I've never heard of any serious issues or recalls with the 2017s. Please update when you get this issue figured out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts