GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
What year is yours? As I mentioned in the posts, all the recent year radios didn't seem to be affected by the write-protect pin.

Do you get a successful read of the chip? Post a screenshot of the read data, maybe we can see if there is anything set differently.

I'd also re-check the programming cable, both the part the clips onto the eeprom, and the small header board that plugs into the programmer socket.

There was some information over on the thread on the Cruze forums related to the write protect, but none of us terrain/equinox owners had to mess with it, so it seems unlikely thats the issue.

Here is the applicable part of the write protect stuff just in case:

Pin 7 on the chip is a "write protect" line. If pin 7 is held high, the chip cannot be programmed. Some versions of the radio have it wired so that the write protect is connected to the Vcc (power) to the chip thru a pull-up resistor network. It is a tiny surface mount component with 4 leads. In cases where the write-protect blocks programming, removing that resistor network allows the chip to programmed. Alternatively, people have successfully turned off the write-protect line by desoldering and lifting pin 7 off the circuit board.

If you are not an expert at soldering, I'd definitely suggest practicing on the old radio first. Modern surface mount components are a pain to work with. And you need a precise soldering iron to avoid burning the tiny surface mount traces/pads.

Again, my guess is it's not the write protect stuff unless maybe you are dealing with an older radio (I think 2011-2013).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you, Denvergp, for all this info. The radio (Intellilink) in my wife's '16 Terrain is currently having issues and research points to a radio replacement. I'm ready to do this except the VIN for our Terrain is not listing the radio at the GMPartsGiant website. I've searched under the entire audio/entertainment directory and an eBay/Amazon search was fruitless.

Any help in finding the part# and vendor would be great! TIA.

Edit: Found the radio unit under the 'Mounting' category at GMPartsGiant. Part# 84064071...DISCONTINUED. Ugh. At least I have a part# and I will go from there.

Edit 2: Fortunately this part is still available through ebay, but now my worry is will this affect the SiriusXM subscription for this swap? Perhaps I should start a new thread?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Edit 2: Fortunately this part is still available through ebay, but now my worry is will this affect the SiriusXM subscription for this swap? Perhaps I should start a new thread?
You would not want to buy the radio direct from GM..... it would have been about $800 or so.

As for the XM radio, we had to call them to get them to transfer the SiriusXM to the new radio after we did the swap. It was not difficult once we got thru to someone at SiriusXM who had a clue. Took a couple people before we found the smart one.

Another option, as part of the swap, you need to unplug a module from the lower board... that module is the SiriusXM part of the radio. Swapping it from your old radio to new radio might make the swap invisible to SiriusXM.

This pic shows the XM module on the left side. You have to unplug it to remove the bottom board to reprogram the eeprom anway, so wouldn't be hard to try swapping in the XM module from your old radio.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You would not want to buy the radio direct from GM..... it would have been about $800 or so.
Another option, as part of the swap, you need to unplug a module from the lower board... that module is the SiriusXM part of the radio. Swapping it from your old radio to new radio might make the swap invisible to SiriusXM.
Good to know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts

As for the XM radio, we had to call them to get them to transfer the SiriusXM to the new radio after we did the swap. It was not difficult once we got thru to someone at SiriusXM who had a clue. Took a couple people before we found the smart one.

This pic shows the XM module on the left side. You have to unplug it to remove the bottom board to reprogram the eeprom anway, so wouldn't be hard to try swapping in the XM module from your old radio.

Hello DenverGp. First of all I want to thank you for your valuable information you have shared with everyone. You have saved people a lot of money.

Now to my problem. I also have a `17 GMC Terrain and my infotainment system died. I purchased a used one from a junkyard(same part number) 84064076. Now my screen comes on but it says locked just like yours did. Here is where i'm stuck. I'm not sure what EEPROM to purchase and what software to download? The links you mentioned in `19 are no longer available. Can you please advise where I can get the correct one. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·

someone else on this thread used this programmer successfully... it looks just like the one I got off ebay.

·
Registered
2 Posts

someone else on this thread used this programmer successfully... it looks just like the one I got off ebay.
Yes I saw that one last night I just wanted to confirm that it was compatible with my unit. So once I get it in and hook it up to the chip how do I reprogram it? Don't I need some software? Please keep in mind I have zero experience in software engineering. TIA

81 - 88 of 88 Posts