GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes everything you posted is the way I did everything. In the software there's a DRVSETUP64 I had installed this originally and then uninstalled it, did not make a difference, still not reading.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
when you start the CH341A app, I assume the "read" button is enabled? but when you click read, it doesn't get any data (display stays all "FF FF FF FF...")?
Does the log at the bottom of the screen show anything like "16:50:44 Read - Speed: 10701 Bytes/sec, Size: 16384 Byte, Time: 00:00:01:531"

It'll act like it's reading even without the chip clamp connected, so it's possible the issue is either the small header board being off by a pin, or the clamp attachment being off by a pin, or the physical clip attaching to the chip being slightly off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when you start the CH341A app, I assume the "read" button is enabled? but when you click read, it doesn't get any data (display stays all "FF FF FF FF...")?
Does the log at the bottom of the screen show anything like "16:50:44 Read - Speed: 10701 Bytes/sec, Size: 16384 Byte, Time: 00:00:01:531"

It'll act like it's reading even without the chip clamp connected, so it's possible the issue is either the small header board being off by a pin, or the clamp attachment being off by a pin, or the physical clip attaching to the chip being slightly off.
All of the things you mentioned above is exactly how it's acting, I downloaded the software you supplied with the same results even tried on another computer with no change. Watched a YouTube video, guy mentioned using a parallel driver I tried that, no change. I looked over my hardware real good I'm wondering could it be faulty? I really appreciate your help and your post it's very nice that people are willing to share their knowledge. I could possibly swap out chips but I really want to read and program the chip just for future know how. I will continue to work on this and I will keep you posted Thanks:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You haven't specified exactly what it's doing...

Is the app opening?
Is the "read" button enabled in the app?
If you click the "read" button, what does it show in the bottom window?

You could also try reading the chip from your old radio, as a test to see if it does anything different.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Is the app opening?

You could also try reading the chip from your old radio, as a test to see if it does anything different.
Yes the app opens the read button is there and the device is connected everything is lined up on number 1 and every time I get" ff" I tried your software version and CH341A Mini Programmer (Black Edition) By_NSC this software shows # 1 on the correct side meaning on the lock lever side I tried reading both radios no luck so I called amazon and I'm getting a replacement programmer meanwhile I decided to experiment since both radios where identical, same # same chips. I swapped out the top circuit boards plugged it in and it powered up, everything is working great! I would have never guessed that the problem was the top circuit board. When I get my next programmer I will try to read eeprom again. I hope for those who experience a problem reading their eeprom that this possibly gives you another solution :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I read on the Cruze form and it only said it will work just for Cruz. But I went to the yard and got one out of a 2017 Chevy Equinox for 25 bucks and will this method work from the Cruz form? I'm trying to reprogram eprom and change the VIN. I already have the radio took apart. I figure I ask so I won't waste my time. If this method don't work. So is this where I put the program clip on this chip?

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK I'm stuck here how do I change the VIN? What do I click? And where to go? Can someone direct me I'm this close to reprogram it.. It says 100% connect but there's no VIN showing? Where do I put my VIN number please help??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You need to hit the READ button on the app, so it'll read the current data on the eeprom.

If it doesn't bring back any data, then something isn't connected right. Most likely the clip cable isn't connected to the programmer right, or the clip isn't attached to the chip correctly. All the previous posts have more information/details about how to connect it up correctly.

Once you read the existing data, the old vin will start on the 2nd char of line 150.

The vin shown here is the part that says G1PG5SB1W7166386

Leave off the 1st digit of your 17 digit vin number, and update that spot. After you update that spot, then you hit the "program" button to write the data back to the eeprom. But do not attempt to write the data back if you can't read the current contents. You need all the other data that is already on the eeprom chip.

And yes, the Cruz forum is where I first learned of this technique, and it worked perfectly for me and several others here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need to hit the READ button on the app, so it'll read the current data on the eeprom.

If it doesn't bring back any data, then something isn't connected right. Most likely the clip cable isn't connected to the programmer right, or the clip isn't attached to the chip correctly. All the previous posts have more information/details about how to connect it up correctly.

Once you read the existing data, the old vin will start on the 2nd char of line 150.

Leave off the 1st digit of your 17 digit vin number, and update that spot. After you update that spot, then you hit the "program" button to write the data back to the eeprom. But do not attempt to write the data back if you can't read the current contents. You need all the other data that is already on the eeprom chip.

And yes, the Cruz forum is where I first learned of this technique, and it worked perfectly for me and several others here.
I got it

OK I believe I got it, this VIN number nearly match my VIN just a few numbers and letters off. So I changed them. I left the first digit thats at the beginning with the (.) alone and just put in the G and so on and hit program since u said it will leave one digit off. Since mine has a number 2 at the beginning which I didn't need to put right? I notice my radio that's in the 2013 equinox has a CD player but it's blocked with two black plastic bars... This one I pulled out of a 2017 equinox has a CD player and there no bars which I saw was very odd. Plus there's a CD in there which makes it a plus.. But hopefully this solved my radio issue so my wife can be happy with her car. I also watched a video but since the guy didn't have a eprom on his it just had me confused about inputting the VIN wish someone would have actually made a step by step point on video even tho it's very confusing when reading cause I feel like it leaves out some simple information... Even though this is a easy route and simple. I'm going to install it tomorrow and give you an update. 👍🏼

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I assume you did the "program" step after you made your changes?

On mine, after programming, I closed the windows app, then re-opened, and hit "read" again to verify it pulled back the updated info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I assume you did the "program" step after you made your changes?

On mine, after programming, I closed the windows app, then re-opened, and hit "read" again to verify it pulled back the updated info.

Yes I change the VIN and once I hit program it went through with no errors. now I didn't do that part re-open the app and hit read to verify....I guess I'll have to dissemble it again and try that. just to be sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I change the VIN and once I hit program it went through with no errors. now I didn't do that part re-open the app and hit read to verify....I guess I'll have to dissemble it again and try that. just to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Is the app opening?

Hey DenverGP I received my CH341A Mini Programmer replacement and the first time read had no problems so my last programmer had a problem. The next thing I would like to figure out is what went bad on my top board, I suspect it's a capacitor. Once again I would like to say Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Anarro I had problems reading my eeprom it turns out that I had a bad programmer as I mentioned in my early post. I swapped out my top circuit board and that worked for me both radio's had the identical same numbers I see DenverGp is assisting you, good luck.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts