GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2016 Terrain 2.4L P0010 2x

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  superdave 
#1 ·
The other day my CEL came on, I scanned it and found an active P0010 for intake side cam VVT sensor..
I haven’t been experiencing and drivability issues so I checked my oil and cleared the code. The oil level was a little more than a 1/2 quart low so I topped it off.
This afternoon I noticed the light on again with the same code so I decided to change the oil and clear the code as I’ve seen that recommendation here before.
My main concern is that the oil was BLACK and didn’t even have 2500 on it! I last changed the oil in September and the car had very little driving done, mostly short trips and never really got to normal operating temperature.

I’m going to monitor oil usage weekly and I have new VVT sensors on order but my main concern is how can I “clean” my engine? The oil that came out looked like it was in there for 10k but it wasn’t even 2500 miles!

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 · (Edited)
I trust the darken oil is caused by the VVT. I had a sudden surge on oil consumption not long ago. Same here, so driving issues. It was a full quart low in 1000 miles. It took a while before the CEL came on. The code was for the VVT. The excessive oil consumption is gone after I changed the exhaust VVT. For good measures I changed the Intake side as well. I did not want to wait for the parts so I went to the dealer for them. They know how to hurt you, but I can rest easy at night knowing the oil consumption is under control. The oil gets dark in no time, I won't lose sleeps on that.

#3 ·
I plan on changing both, I have them on order now. The thing that is puzzling is that the code is for the intake sensor, though I guess being that there both original the exhaust isn’t far behind.
I took it out on the highway for about 15 miles this morning with no issues or lights.

#4 ·
Maybe you got lucky the fresh oil unclogged the intake sensor. But are they really reliable now? The CEL came on not long after I changed the oil, so I am certain that the sensor was no good and an ohm test confirmed that. The mileage on my vehicle was 76,000 you can wait until the code came back again but do monitor the oil consumption. After I replaced the sensors I kept my eyes on the oil level for over a month before I let my guard down. My understanding is that the intake and exhaust are working in tandem to regulate the oil flow, if one goes bad the end result is the same - excessive oil consumption. The oil is critical to preserve the timing chain in these new engines design. I rather spent the $120 on the sensors instead of spending few thousands on replacing the timing chain. If you get the sensors from places other than the dealers you can save a bundle, but make sure you get acdelco. I have read many stories on after market stuff.

#5 ·
That didn’t take long! The code is back along with a P0011! I’m going to change both sensors when I get them and hopefully get rid of this issue!
Have you had any experience using an engine flush? I’m thinking it would be a good idea toy clean the engine oil after the failed sensors.

#6 ·
I never add chemical into the engine or fuel tank in my vehicles. A good oil filter is your friend. If your engine is "dirty" it is not caused by the oil. The fuel system is to blame (bad pvc, bad fuel, etc ... of course the bad design of the engine as well). Maybe other members can chime in for a recommendation to help you on that. Techron and seafoam are the most mentioned in this forum and others.

#7 ·
This afternoon my car actually stalled out with the active P0010 and P0011, I replaced both VVT sensors and took it on a 40 mile road test. No light came back and the car feels great.

The only issue is the the P0010 still shows on my scanner but the car doesn’t have a CEL on, is this common or do I need to do a different reset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.