GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the location of the rear speaker wires under the dash, under the seats, or behind the sill kick plates. I have the 2.4L with the base radio. I am looking to amplify the rear speakers that I have upgraded. I already know the colors which are Brown and Yellow for the drivers side rear and Gray and Tan for the passenger side rear. These are the same colors used for 2015 and older although the 2015 and older these wires go to the amp under the dash on the drivers side while on a 2016 and 2017 they seem to go directly to the radio. Last resort is to pull the radio and tap in there but I want to avoid this. I plan on mounting a small amp on the metal plate under the steering column. I have a 2016 Equinox but guessing its the same for Terrain and also for 2017.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found them behind the glove box...

I took the radio out, well half out so I could see the back, and on the 44 pin connector I see Brown and Yellow on Pins 42 and 34 which should be the Left Rear. Then I see Dark and Light Blue on 41 and 33 which should be the Right Rear. I disconnected the 44 pin and each pair had a resistance of 3.2 ohms which is exactly what my back speakers measure directly (JBL's I installed recently). I could see the wire bundle Tee's behind the radio to the drivers and passenger sides. So next I removed the black cloth covering on the bundle of wires I traced over behind the glove box. Inside the bundle I see the same 4 colored wires. There are others the same color in that bundle but are smaller. The bundle of wires then goes down the kick panel. When I get the time I'll put my volt meter on the pairs with the radio at various volumes. This is what I had hoped someone had already did. I'll report back. My goal is to tie in an amp to the back speakers here. I also then plan on powering one of the two coils of the sub that is currently just for ANC. I have been driving for a few weeks with the one coil disconnected and the ANC still seems effective. By the way this is a non Pioneer system which seems to be reffered to as the VQN system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture shows the rear speaker wires behind glove box. Brown and Yellow left rear door. Dark and Light Blue right rear door. I tested these with the radio playing going left to right and they checked out. I zipped tied them to make it obvious. I obviously removed the cloth tape before all this. Next step the AMP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amp has been installed and the system rocks and I still have ANC. I used a Taramp TS 400x4 given its size and low power draw plus it was under $100. I cut the above back door speaker wires behind the glove box right where they are zip tied. Radio side now goes into a line out converter which then leads over to the drivers side where I have the amp. The amp fit under the steering wheel with plenty of clearance for the tilt steering. Speaker wires from the amp then go back over under the dash to connect to the above wires to the back speakers. I also then connect the one voice coil of the stock subwoofer to the other side of the amp with right and left bridged. I tapped into the sub wires after removing them from the stock amp leaving the other channel / voice coil connected to the stock amp for the ANC. I have the line level split to the two sides of the amp. Like I say it sounds at least as good as the original Pioneer system now which I can contest too given I also own a 2015 with that system. Note I also upgraded the back speakers. I connected positive, negative, and remote turn on from the stock amp to the new amp which works well except I need to move the remote turn on to something else. The new amp turns off after the radio so I get a popping noise. I'll post again once I find a good spot for this. The Taramp seems okay but the inputs are way to sensitive given I have the line out converter turned way down as well as the gains on the amp itself. The mirror now shacks and you can feel the bass. See pictures below.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picture shows the rear speaker wires behind glove box. Brown and Yellow left rear door. Dark and Light Blue right rear door. I tested these with the radio playing going left to right and they checked out. I zipped tied them to make it obvious. I obviously removed the cloth tape before all this. Next step the AMP. View attachment 17441
Which wire is positive and Which one is negative

1 - 5 of 5 Posts