GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 4 cylinder Equinox with about 67,000 miles on it and it has basically been pretty trouble free. All of a sudden shortly after starting the engine and putting it in drive it would just die when you started to accelerate. It might do that a couple or three times and then it would be ok. The service engine light came on. About the same time I notice that when you try to use remote starting it just clicks and does nothing. Called and made an appointment with the dealer but earliest available time was like 2 weeks out. I asked if this would do harm to the engine and he said that as long as the oil wasn't low it wouldn't. Now it hasn't stalled in the last couple of outings and the service engine soon light went out, but still will not start with remote. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

· Registered
1,402 Posts
Remote start doesn’t work if the engine light is on I believe, so that’s just a byproduct of whatever the real problem is. Go have the codes pulled at AutoZone for free.

Reactions: Colt Hero

· Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 182k miles
4,736 Posts
Agree with @BandDirector ... stop by your local auto parts store and ask them to read the OBD-2 port. They’ll do it for free. Then, come back here and post the Codes. I’m gonna guess it’ll be Throttle Body-related, and if so ... maybe just a good cleaning will solve the problem...

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the responses. I will stop by local auto parts store and see if they will do the reading for me.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will make a correction on my original posting. I see now that after the service engine soon light went out, the remote starter function is also now working properly, so BandDirector was right on with his statement.

· Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2011 Equinox. I drove to Pizza Hut to pick up our order and when I started backing out of the parking spot the engine would stall. It would restart fine but as soon as I gave it any gas it would stall. I ended up power braking it to keep the engine running and managed to get back home. The problem is a common one. There are two solenoids under the beauty cover, on the left side. One is for the intake and one for the exhaust. One was bad and I replaced both. Bought them on Amazon as a set for like $35. They are very easy to replace. Make sure to check your oil level. Mine had never used oil but was a quart low when I checked it. Those solenoids have very fine screens in them so it's very important to keep the oil changed at about 5,000 miles and use a good quality synthetic oil. Easy fix.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
No cleaning, replace with Genuine GM ones for the correct repair. Fine particles still can get through the screens.
Most issues with the VVT solenoids are from sticking or electrical. Same issues with the 2.4 in Malibu's.
Knock off Amazon ones do not last like OEM for a few bucks more.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well geo791 was accurate in his diagnosis. I wound up taking it to the dealer and their explanation was bad exhaust sensors, something to do with camshaft advance. Was kind of pricey but it runs great now. I asked if there was any fuel additives I could use to help prevent this and they said same as geo791 said no, just change oil every 5000 miles and be sure to use synthetic oil.

Just one other thing, my gas mileage had seemed lower than normal recently, I'm hoping that this will improve my mileage some also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts