GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Yesterday, we took our '16 Equinox (a little more than 55,000 miles) out a couple times in the morning with no issues. I go out and start it yesterday afternoon and notice it seems to be misfiring and idling roughly. I notice the service engine light is solid and the Stabilitrak warning light is lit. I back it back into the garage and shut it off. I make my run on our other vehicle, and return in about 30 minutes to hook up my OBD reader.

Upon cranking the vehicle with the reader attached, there are no active codes and the engine is running as normal. There are no longer any warning lights on the dash.

There is a pending code P0301, misfire detected in cylinder #1. I clear the code out, and assume it is a spark plug. I take it down the road a mile or so and it seems to run as normal. My wife takes the vehicle a few miles a bit later and has no issues on her trip either way.

This morning, I go out and crank her up. Everything seems to be running normal. I get 3-4 miles down the road and it misfires for a moment as I approach a stop sign. I gas it a bit, and the rough idle/misfire goes away. The service engine light flashes a few times then goes away, but the Stabilitrak light stays solid, and the warning message "Service Stabilitrak" appears in the message center.

I drive it as normal to drop my kids off, and turn it off as I take them into their daycare facility. I crank it back up when I come out, and the Stabilitrak warning light and message are both gone, and it runs fine. I drive it @20 or so miles to work and it runs like a top.

Right now, my best guess is a fouled plug in cylinder one, or even something as simple as getting bad gas/trash in the cylinder.

I've already planned on replacing all 4 plugs this coming weekend.

But, do you think the Stabilitrak warning is just a byproduct of the misfire?

Also, do you think it is simply a plug/dirty fuel problem causing the misfiring/rough idle?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hello all,

Yesterday, we took our '16 Equinox (a little more than 55,000 miles) out a couple times in the morning with no issues. I go out and start it yesterday afternoon and notice it seems to be misfiring and idling roughly. I notice the service engine light is solid and the Stabilitrak warning light is lit. I back it back into the garage and shut it off. I make my run on our other vehicle, and return in about 30 minutes to hook up my OBD reader.

Upon cranking the vehicle with the reader attached, there are no active codes and the engine is running as normal. There are no longer any warning lights on the dash.

There is a pending code P0301, misfire detected in cylinder #1. I clear the code out, and assume it is a spark plug. I take it down the road a mile or so and it seems to run as normal. My wife takes the vehicle a few miles a bit later and has no issues on her trip either way.

This morning, I go out and crank her up. Everything seems to be running normal. I get 3-4 miles down the road and it misfires for a moment as I approach a stop sign. I gas it a bit, and the rough idle/misfire goes away. The service engine light flashes a few times then goes away, but the Stabilitrak light stays solid, and the warning message "Service Stabilitrak" appears in the message center.

I drive it as normal to drop my kids off, and turn it off as I take them into their daycare facility. I crank it back up when I come out, and the Stabilitrak warning light and message are both gone, and it runs fine. I drive it @20 or so miles to work and it runs like a top.

Right now, my best guess is a fouled plug in cylinder one, or even something as simple as getting bad gas/trash in the cylinder.

I've already planned on replacing all 4 plugs this coming weekend.

But, do you think the Stabilitrak warning is just a byproduct of the misfire?

Also, do you think it is simply a plug/dirty fuel problem causing the misfiring/rough idle?

Thanks in advance!
Pulling #1 plug is a good place to start.
If #1 plug looks good pull the other 3 and do a compression test.
Usually bad fuel won't single out just one cylinder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you've never done so, browse through the items on this link and the subsequent pages: 2016 CHEVROLET EQUINOX SUV FWD

If you click the + and then click the Associated Document link(s) you'll see GM bulletins. For example this one is from May 8, 2020 and covers: Information on Rough Idle, Crank No Start, Extended Crank or Misfire Due to Excessive Carbon on Top of Valves or Sticking Valves, Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 Set

Do you almost exclusively use fuel from Top Tier gas stations? If not this might be the issue for the roughness. https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

·
Registered
578 Posts
Stabil trak disabled / TC off message will come up with any P code stored or CEL on . It is standard operation on every GM vehicle. Remote start disables also with a CEL on.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Stabilitrak and misfire being totally unrelated ...i would first check the battery...when was it last changed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts